1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Barca forward Jeffren linked with Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Not606 News Team, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Fulham boss Martin Jol is hoping to convince Barcelona attacker Jeffren to move to Fulham.

The 23-year-old is reportedly also a target for Premier League rivals Liverpool, but Jol is hoping to steal a march on the Reds and encourage the player to move to London.

The Cottagers are light on attacking power, particularly after turning down their option to extend Eidur Gudjohnsen's stay at the club.

Jol is reported to have made a £7.2million offer for the Spain Under 21 player - part of the team that won the recent European Under 21 Championship - in the hope of beating both Liverpool and La Liga side Valencia to the player's signature.

Last month, he blocked a move to Serie A outfit Udinese as part of the deal to bring Chile international Alexis Sanchez to the Camp Nou.

Jeffren turned down the deal, and his father and agent said he would only be staying in Spain or moving to the Premier League.

If Jol's bid is accepted he will then have to set about persuading the young star that a move to Craven Cottage would allow him to further his career.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It's only paper talk, but that sounds more like it! Young, pacey and skillful from what I've read about him. A much better bet than sulky Bendtner. But as I say, it's only paper talk at the moment.

3. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Jeffren story is really strong Captain. As I posted in the 'Transfer Rumour - more than ' thread the club (I presume Alistair Mc) are in Spain today holding.

Could be quite exciting.

4. Penguin

Penguin Member

According to Twitter Jeffen and his dad are meeting Zubizarretta the excellently named sports director of Barca to discuss his future. If, as Cottager says, AM is in Spain at the mo he could go straight into a meeting with him and get his future in SW6 sorted.

5. Captain Morgan

I'd forgotten your earlier comment, Cottager (apologies!).

Well, this is the most exciting bit of transfer news yet this summer. Let's hope it comes to something pretty soon.

6. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

We have seen over the last month so many players,coming to Fulham,we could if we believed it, had a
    30+ squad by now .I will only be convinced of any new signing when it shows X Y Z actually coming
    out from the cottage in our colours.

7. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Roscafre et al about it being in writing, signature on the table but it would be cool if we could land this guy. Awesome stuff. I do think it would be a stepping stone for him but he would get Euro and Prem experience and we could sell him on at a very good price in a few years time.

8. frogman27

frogman27 Member

I really hope there is some truth in this one. As mentioned he is exactly the sort of player we need to be aiming for if we want to step up to next level in the premiership. My heart is saying it would be an amazing bit of business, me head is saying not a chance that he will come, too many other clubs interested in him. Come on Ali Mac work your magic.

9. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I think the same as frogman, just the sort of player we need to be interested in. But like roscafre, I won't get excited until he's wearing the shirt.

10. Captain Morgan

Fair points from Roscafre, Froggy and Bidley, but it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

At the start of last season's Europa run, you could have (accurately) said, 'What's the point, it's not as if we're going to win the thing, is it? I won't get excited until I see us lifting the cup.' And we didn't, though we came damn close. The point is, the magic of the Europa run - and any season, for any club - is the anticipation. It's looking forward to the big games. When the thing you are hoping for happens - whether it's a big result or a big signing - that's so much the better, but why not enjoy the prospect in the meantime? My favourite part of a game is sitting in the ground beforehand, watching the players start their warm up and watching the crowd filling up. Whether the game goes on to be a cracker, a boring stalemate or a complete thrashing, the pre-match build up is always great. Football is all about the anticipation and the journey, not just the final destination.

11. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Fair point well-made Captain, and I agree. I must admit though, I enjoyed watching us beat Juve 4-1 more than wondering whether we're going to sign a Barca reject :)

But seriously, this is the kind of signing us fans want, rather than players like Kevin Doyle and Nigel Reo-Coker.

12. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Still no word and as we all know L'pool are also interested. Hope Jeffren isn't playing the same game that Captain observed happened with Riise. However we are still the only ones who have made a firm bid and that has not been rejected.

May be that L'pool are muddying the water still hoping to get Downing. Also Jol has a Plan B in Gradel of Leeds - 18 goals last year; not bad for a winger, indeed almost as good as Graham Leggat !!

The head says Jeffren, the heart Gradel. But hey, either has the blood rushing a tad.

13. Captain Morgan

Agreed, Cottager, either Jeffren or Gradel would be great signings.

14. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Gradel ... yes. He's no secret, though.