1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: Pre-season... what's it all about ? | Football

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Jul 21, 2011.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All clubs are playing pre-season matches around now. There's a split opinion as to what they're all about.
    Some say the results don't matter, it's all about fitness.
    Others say it's about building momentum and establishing a winning mentality.
    Those with better memories than me can remember good seasons which followed poor pre-seasons, and vice versa.
    Of course your view is sometimes shaped by the results :smiley:
    Pre-season is also about looking at triallists and trying out formations.
    What do you make of the pre-season so far ?

2. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Pre-season is about fitness, working on tactics and trying to get a winning mentality started quickly IMO. Our pre-season has been good so far, but as you have said, we have had good pre-seasons before and ended up having a poor season.

3. pirate49

Forum Moderator

To answer my own questions I think our pre-season ticks all the boxes
    There's been a good choice of opposition.
    There's no doubt that we've got a winning mentality and we're building momentum.
    As regards fitness everyone is getting at least 45 minutes and the pace at which we've played has been impressive.
    We've had some triallists and have picked up a good one in Boateng.
    Buckle has put some players in different positions...Campbell LB, Zebroski up front and LM...
    We couldn't really ask for more from a pre-season.
    Having said all that we'll probably put out a young side against WSM tonight and lose !
    And the only match which really matters is V AFC Wimbledon on 6 August.

4. Rhinestone Gashead

I think you have to analize results. If you lose to a club that is a couple of divisions higher than you - it is the manner in which you lost that matters. Likewise, is you lose to a club several divisions below you - then why and how did you lose. If we lose to a good Reading side next Tuesday, but (as I'm sure we will) give a good account of ourselves and dont get played off the pitch then surely that will have some positives to take from the game. However if we were to lose to lower opposition and play dire then (see last nights result from Twerton), I'm also sure this would have a negative impact not only within the team but also with the supporters. The only thing that really does matter is the 6th of August result - if we have instilled that winning mentality then surely when kick off comes that will be in full view of the nation on the Sky cameras. I think as long as we see good attacking fooball with plenty of flair and goals then the results and hopefully the crowds will follow. I, for one am looking forward to this season with a lot more hope and enthusiasm than I have done for a long time. Our Red friends go on about it being div 4 - but personally I can put up with that if the football is exciting and the goals flow - even if some of the results don't go our way. I'd much rather see an exciting game in div 4 than a dire championship game - still remember the play off games against Lincoln! One of the Sky pundits called it the best game he'd seen all season - over all the divisions - so it cant all be bad - up the GAS! The future is Blue! The fat lady is being trundled over to traston for this season - sing up Irene!

5. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

The differnce this year on last, is that you have hungry players that want to be in the starting 11. Out of the 20 that played either first or second half on Tuesday, it will very difficult for Buckle to pick a starting 11.

Even Lines gave a good account of himself and i'm his worst critic!!!

I feel very confident about the the new season and i'm willing to gamble part of my kids Uni fund on the Gas being promoted.

To add to my optimism, i hear the S**t lost to Bath last night 1-0. Oh dear Keef what you gunna do!!!

6. pirate49

Forum Moderator

Rhinestone...agree with you....especially about excitement.
    We now have big blokes with pace and skill. Any defence with Zebroski, Carayol, Anyinsah or McLaggon
    running at them is going to have their work cut out.
    The shape against Burnley was good and when we attacked we always had men up in the box.
    There were choices at free kicks and corners...no one player took them all.
    For all the comments from Shrew fans Harrold seems to be a good target man and holds the ball up well.
    McGleish has a touch of class. He may creak during warm-ups but once the game starts he knows what
    to do and where to be. I can't see him or Zebroski playing 90 minutes, so I think substitutions are
    also going to be key.

7. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

pre season in devon, is about gulls beating plymouth and exeter 3-0, apparently all the players paul the power took to the gas have been replaced by better and a vastly improving manager. you may hear more about martin ling on at least 2 occasions this season. tinkle tinkle, do i hear bottling

8. atcham jack

pre season is about shrews beating man utd 2-1, at this minute we are beating wolves 2-0

9. Rhinestone Gashead

ask the She Teds.... cos Iheard they is going grand!!! :emoticon-0116-evilg

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

all i know is i rather be in rovers shoes this pre season than citys shoes. next season when were both in the same league, we will be more stronger than them and take an easy 6 points from them like we will against the shrews this season <ok>

11. brb

brb Guest

One of our pre season friendlies, has resulted in an injury to our new striker signing (Birchall), meaning him being ruled out for several months!

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Talk the talk and walk the walk,you all said the same thing last year and got relegated....

Keep dreaming,take the doo dahs out of us but it's a long season and there are a lot of good teams in your league determined to beat you...

Dream on my babbys.....

13. pirate49

Forum Moderator

'Dream on my babbys.....'
    Our dreams are sweet dreams, yours are nightmares.

14. Rhinestone Gashead

Wiz - I was only going on your comments from your board on the game against Yeovil!

15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Rhinestone Gashead,not aimed at you but we're obviously taking a lot of flack,deservedly at the moment and I was just deflecting comment at some of the "gashead" WUM's...

No names mentioned of course...:emoticon-0147-emo:

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

and these 'good teams' in our league are all beating you <laugh>

17. Rhinestone Gashead

I know Wiz - that was about as heavy as I get for WUM's or wind ups - I've been around too long to know that what goes around usually comes around ... and I also respect every TRUE supporter no matter what team they follow.

18. atcham jack

oops, gulls lost at home to burnley 3-1