1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Southampton Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Well, I spoke too soon! Penalty <yikes>

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

In terms of clear cut chances, sounds like we are the ones who should be grateful for the point.

3. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Come on, Santi.

4. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Sounds like a dodgy performance, but the result is all that matters. Get in.

5. BrunelGooner

2-1. FT.

Happy with the win, but we are ****ing lucky to have got 3 points from that. In the build-up to the penalty, Monreal clearly trods on Long's foot and he should have given a free-kick the other way.

I do feel quite sorry for the Saints, as they really didn't deserve that, but it's not our fault that the linesman didn't spot Monreal's foul.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  6. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

**** me that was tense. Soton are a good team and once they took the lead I feared the worst. Their goal woke us up and we soon got a deserved equaliser. All 2nd half we huffed and puffed with some tense moments from them too but fortune favoured us today and we got the 3 points.
    Kos gave another captain's performance, Cazorla was majestic and Coq played well. Perez was on a diff wavelength a couple of times but he's acclimatise. Ozil was off the pace today but everyone else was alright and IMO was harsh on Cech for their goal (great fingertip save and unlucky rebound). Soton are usually a bogey team for us so glad to beat them.
    Now to take the momentum with us against P$G on Tuesday.

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Fuming about that decision. The Long foul is one thing, but Koscielny was down with the world's most blatant head injury in the area and the game should have been stopped.

Not to mention that the actual penalty incident wasn't a penalty either.

Grrr....

8. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

IIRC they changed the rules to where grappling is a PK now. Still it was a foul by Monreal so we got lucky there. Tbh I thought that Redmond got lucky for the FK that lead to your goal as well but its all fine margins. It was a good game that could have gone either way. You frustrated us and even had chances to nick it yourselves. Always hate and like playing you guys because I like Southampton and their football but you always take points from us <wah>

9. BrunelGooner

Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't pause the game when that happened. I mean, obviously the sequence of events that followed worked to our advantage, but he wasn't following the laws of the game.

Whichever way you look at it, I think you've been hard done by there.

You set-up perfectly against us and each time you hit us on the counter, you guys looked more likely to score than we did, despite our wayward shooting and meaningless possession.

I did say it would be a difficult game, and it proved to be, but based on your performance, you should be proud of how you did. Funnily enough, I thought you performed better at The Emirates this season than last season, yet last season you got a point and this year you didn't.

Hard luck is all I can say - all the best for the remaining games.

10. excel

excel Active Member

Two attempts on target from Arsenal at home say's it all really,bailed out by the ref fortunately.

Quilllogic likes this.

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Cheers for fair/generous comments, it was the best performance of our season by far so a bit annoying not to get anything. On to Europe now.

12. Bobby Pires

Bobby Pires Well-Known Member

Extremely lucky today. Our home performances are a worry. At home:

- we don't create enough chances
    - we're too slow
    - our movement is poor
    - we concede sloppy goals. Game after game, usually caused by lapses in concentration

This has been a problem for a while now. New personnel, although much needed, isn't going to fix all of the above.

13. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Missed the game sounds like it was but disjointed today.

But ultimately we got the points and that what matters,

14. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Got out of jail with that gift pen. I'm hoping the manager and players know that and pick it up in the next game.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Not home yet and not seen the game, so can't comment on the penalty. But who gives a **** ? We won, 3 points in the bag, job done.

16. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think people are worried about our performance at home. We need to pick it up big time.

Quilllogic likes this.
  17. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Bobby Madley is a diabolically poor referee-worse even than the prize clown Anthony Taylor.

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Got to say (mostly to the Arsenal supporters because it's hard to admit things went your way), well done and very honest assessment of the game

PINKIE likes this.
  19. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

We always struggle after an International break and this game was no exception. Penalty was an odd one for sure, but I do think Fonte is a bit daft to give the Ref that kind of decision to make. If you get wrong side of your man you cant get into a wrestling match with him. If it was the other way round our fans would have wanted our defender lynched for that.

Good game to win, but there is a lot of improving to be done if we are going to be in the mix at the end.

20. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

I got home from the game at 11-30 last night chuffed to **** at seeing us win,as per usual my Jack Russell was there to greet me.At 12-15am he died in my arms,he was 17 and I think his time was up.I'm ****ing distraught.

TheBear likes this.