1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Sunderland Tuesday 16th May KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, May 15, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed May 17, 2017.
  1. Home win

63.6%
  2. Away win

18.2%
  3. Draw

4.5%
  4. Meh - not another game

13.6%
  1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Arsenal looked just a far better side than us - but they certainly came away from that game knowing they'd had a match. Defence was far better - might have been interesting if an already booked Ozil had got a second yellow for the push - or if Monreal had got the 2 cards he deserved.

Pickford was excellent. Cattermole showed how much he's been missed - we are a far better side when he plays (and he played 2 sublime passes last night showing there's a lot more to his game than "tackling"

I ****ing hate the sky commentators - "Sanchez was onside as you can see" - actually he wasn't he was off-side

And when they show it again and he says "Yeah he was offside but I'm glad he got away with that one" ****ing hell! How biased do you want to be!

clockstander likes this.
  2. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

And that is precisely one of the reasons why I've never had or never will have sky.
    Plus, I wouldn't give the steam off my piss to that **** Murdoch let alone my money.

FTM Dave likes this.
  3. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Both first class goalkeepers but for distribution it has to be Pickford - Monty's only weakness - but phenomenal saves from both
    edit : Pickford is still honing his skills and that's his weakness - inexperience :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

On that - how do you think Montgomery would have handled the backpass rule? Great keeper (I'm too young to have seen him play but My dad isn;t and I've seen videos) but how would he have handled not being able to pick the ball up from a backpass?

5. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Tough argument trying to compare anything from different times.

Almost everything about the game, the players, fitness, etc, today is on whole different level.

Like trying to compare a Sinclair ZX with an i-pad.

6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Monty's weakness was his kicking, especially dead ball situations, it was his kicking which cost us the mammoth FA cupties against Man Utd back in the sixties.
    Great shot stopper but I'd give Pickford the edge due to his inexperience and he will obviously improve.
    There was a time when it was thought Monty couldn't see long shots at goal 30 yards + but all the same he was a great keeper and a proper club servant which sadly are as rare as hens teeth these days.

clockstander likes this.
  7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Read the letters under the banner PICKFORD if you are interested enough. <ok> I have seen both, saw Jimmy playing school football and was at Wembley in 73, rate Jordan right up there with the best. I also rate Buckland as highly, two great young keepers imo.

8. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

ZX every time - no competition there at all - but for different reasons to the quality of the programs on the product! Just cos I love retro stuff like that

9. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Pickord world class. Thought Billy Jones and cattermole did well till he got tired.

Kone was a joke. How unbothered was that bloke. The rest of them were dog ****

marcusblackcat likes this.