1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are you hoping for too much??

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Mendeleev, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mendeleev

Mendeleev Member

Here was my assessment of Buckles appointment and the state of the club back on June 1st......

'Great appointment, a good young ambitious manager, who appears to know his own mind. I think he will do well rebuilding the squad, but don't expect miracles this season and I see no return to League one this time around. We need to set the foundations in place and start our new chapter with patience and not blind optimism (it only leads to dissapointment). This season is all about resurrecting the phoenix from the barely smouldering ashes of a disasterous season last time around, Paul Buckle needs to start fanning that smouldering pile very soon. This season is about assembling as good a squad as we can, to review our youth policy and see what we have, to start producing our conveyor belt of talented strikers that we will inevitably have to sell on but hopefully for a handsome fee. This season is about learning how to play the game in the right way again with passion, pride and fight. This season is about the board learning to tell us the truth and if the truth is we're skint, the ground refurb is a non-starter, the wage bill is zero, the losses we are amassing are untenable then so be it but please don't mug your loyal fans for fools. This season is about the fans getting behind this fantastic club with it's rich history, uniqueness and quirky ways, remembering why they endure those seasons of pain for those fleeting moments of success and how sweet they taste because of their rarity. If we can get all this right this season who knows what future seasons hold, I for one see a tiny glimmer, the slightest flicker, of hope.................'

I know a lot has happened in the ensuing 2 months and all for the positive on the whole.

BUT am I the only gashead out there who thinks getting promoted in our first season back in league 2 might well be beyond us?

Am I the only one who has a niggling doubt about Saturdays scoreline? (I think a draw would be a good result)

Please tell me I am and one and all please feel free to come back and tell me we told you so after Saturday and at the end of the season.

Up The Gas

2. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

Mendeleev, this is probably a sensible approach, based on what has happened in the past.

However, you are completely wrong. This squad of players would have challenged in league 1 let alone this league.

I think you will be pleasently suprised this year my doubting friend!!!!

3. APL 2011

APL 2011 New Member

Mango -

"However, you are completely wrong. This squad of players would have challenged in league 1 let alone this league"

I almost chocked on my lobster, the players you have assembled are League 2 at best, you have a rude awakening awaiting you and 12.45 saturday will be the start - top 3 you are having a laugh :)

4. AGasfan

AGasfan Member

"I almost chocked on my lobster"

Dam the giro must be going far nowadays :)

5. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1tease (for it is you, isn't it?); you have us down for a 1-1 draw against Watford.
    Are you mellowing, or do you really not think much of Watford?
    We can't be as bad as you'd have us believe! :grin:

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

mende, 1st thoughts on buckle when he joined us was that i thought we could get better and someone with experience. 1st few signings i thought were good league 2 players but i didnt think as a whole that we would be strong enough to stay in league 1 if we got promoted. however as each signing came along, our team looks very strong on paper and if we go up, i think we could stay up and consolidate our position. buckle has done a great job so far and the players have as well.

we need to be realistic and i think being realistic, we have a team strong enough to go up. but the 1st 5-7 games will be needed to give the players a chance to gel in a competitive way in league football. we will need this time and results may not go our way to beghin with but we need to be patient. but if he hit the ground running, we could be hard to stop/catch :)

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

8. Rhinestone Gashead

Only tme will tell - a bit obvious I know! I am however looking forward to decent football played at the right tempo and spirit - if we get beat (as we will) by a better team on the day - then I have no problems with that. It was the manner in which the team played ever since the win at Southampton followed by the defeat at Norwich that upset me and I'm sure a lot of other gasheads. Play with passion and pride, put some belief into it and the fans will accept our fate - be it promotion, play-offs or mid table. What I won't accept is a repeat of the performances of the last season and a half - and I'm sure Paul Buckle will NOT accept that either. Pre season has gone well - but the real deal starts Saturday - bring on the Wimbledon, bring on the Gas - let's see what were made of!

9. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

The only thing that would stop us doing well in the league above, and possibly even in this league is the look of our shaky defense. I know they have only played friendly games etc etc but we do look very shaky at the back. Still think champions though as we will outscore everyone else. The Newcastle of league 2!

10. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

11. Rhinestone Gashead

dont you think you are aining a bit high there AJ?

12. Rhinestone Gashead

aiming even :Doh:

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

14. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

Thanks for the invite Captain, but i know i wouldn't keep it up..

Funny i'm sure the Mrs keeps saying something to me along those lines!!!!!

15. Filtongas

Filtongas New Member

I am really optomistic about this season, more than I have been for several years. We have assembled a good-sized squad and have signed a good number of players who have rejected other offers to join the gas. That is a really good sign of the quality of players we have signed. There will be competition for places, which will drive up the standard. I am predicting top 3!

16. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

We'll be able to enjoy this season from the off for a change. Buckle really has shown how it should be done, and I'm sure all the preparation and pre season form will give us a flying start. I really hope the crowds return quickly, because it would be great if we were getting eight or nine thousand every week.

Up The Gas!

17. APL 2011

APL 2011 New Member

" I really hope the crowds return quickly, because it would be great if we were getting eight or nine thousand every week. "

I almost dropped my glass of bollinger ;) you will be lucky to get 4500 after the first 10/15 games once the fans realise that mid table will be your lot this season.

Ah well you can all look forward to your free bacon butty once the snow falls in January :smiley-finger007:

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

wonder how many fans will you lose apl?? <whistle>

19. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Do they pay reduced rates for leaving at half time at Trashton

20. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

We'll get 10,000 or so for the first home game, then depending on how things go I reckon we'll get a regular seven or eight thousand, with the odd nine or ten thousand...