1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are West Ham the poor man's Liverpool

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by AshbySaint, May 30, 2017.

1. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

I was abit bored this evening so ventured to the Newsnow website - I must have been very bored in fact because I think it's definitely more like 'FakeNewsnow'. However, there were more than two headlines that caught my attention as they all stated that West Ham were about to sign either Tadic or Long. Now are Liverpool raiding us for our more expensive players whilst West Ham are going for the relative bargain bucket? Especially as Fonte went there.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with either or both going, assuming we can replace them with players that can score penalties, don't dive, don't blame the ref or their team members, can shoot and score from outside the box, and generally cross. Enough about Tadic, I won't even start on Long.

How would you all feel about one or both going there?

2. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

My general feeling with Wet Spam is pity.... I know a few die hard hammers and I admire their desire to carry on supporting despite some dire decisions and the general ethos the chairmen give off.

If any of our players go for the love of playing football, I'm sure they'll be rewarded very well financially, but sadly they'll be joining a club totally devoid of character, values and giving the fans the credit they deserve for keeping it going despite the piss poor approach those at the top of the club take.

3. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bother me if Tadic or Long left providing they are replaced with younger, promising players. Neither are that good and both had poor seasons in my opinion, although that can be said for a few of our attacking players

4. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Its true that Tadic had an indifferent season, especially after his facial injury (****ing Neil Taylor!..:mad:), but he was in good form before that and he has been a key creative player for us since he joined the club. I think it is too early to let him go yet, because when he plays well the team play well and create chances.

5. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

I would play devils advocate on this one and say that we can't afford to carry too many creative players that create inconsistently.

For his petulance and ability to go missing at key moments, I'd choose Bouffal over Tadic but I know that he's currently an impact player at best until he toughens up....

6. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Their fans (well on the forums anyway) are scathing about Fonte and really fed up with buying past it and free transfer players. Tadic would be well recieved I guess as the likely other options are an unknown Venezuelan or a bloke with a wooden leg.

7. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

As long as we fleece Wet Spam again for an old and demonising "star" like we did with Jose then not worried to see Tadic and Long go.
    Wet Spam are a direct competitor so selling them for top dollar players that can't get in our first team or struggling to keep their place without throwing strops, will directly benefit us.
    £30m for the pair (& circa £5-6m in wages) would be happy days for me

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Tadic is not that good???? Really? If this is what fans think, rather than perhaps misused words, then we have no hope.

Your second sentence is more accurate, as Tadic didn't have a great season. This doesn't make him not good.

If you genuinely think Tadic isn't that good, then I'm not sure we have the capacity to sign a player you think is good enough.

*really hope you just didn't express your meaning well.

9. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I find Tadic so frustrating. At his best he creates a lot of opportunities and is involved in everything that's good but then half time comes and he disappears completely. That's why he kept getting subbed off until he threw his toys out of his pram with CP who gave in and left him on for the whole game to the team's detriment as it meant generally speaking it was JWP who was hauled off and replaced by Boufal
    Don't even get me started on that move...Lol

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

This has been a difficult season for fans who are used to our style of football....imagine how hard it has been for some players. I like Tadic as a player and I would hold fire on letting him go until we know who the manager is next season. If he can't work with Puel, it may be better to let him go as he won't be any use to us in a moody strop. However, he may be revitalized under another manager. Not going to judge him on this season alone. Long is the same...so dangerous and causes havoc when running with another player at the same speed....splitting the opposition, so he can also be an asset depending on style of play and other players around him.

A separate issue is that Tadic would probably play under any manager, whereas Long and Jay know they are 3rd/4th strikers. Both may feel ready to move. We are all hanging on the managerial decision.

Returning to the thread title. Second rate Liverpool....West Ham are second rate Saints.

greensaint likes this.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

He is very inconsistent. If he played like he did at the start of this season more often then I'd say he was very good and one of our best players. The reality is he struggles to consistently put in good performances. So perhaps I would have been better off stating he is inconsistent rather than not that good.

This past season however, he has been disappointing and I'd say it would be fairly easy to sign a player that is better. Redmond, for example, has been much better than Tadic this year. So we have already shown we have the capacity to sign players I think are good enough.

If he left I don't think we would miss his contribution, certainly based on this past year anyway. He is in our team to provide a link between attack and defence and offer that little bit of creative magic that allows us to convert possession to chances. As has been stated many times this season, this is something we have failed to do. We need to bring in a player, such as Sigurdson, that is capable of doing so. Or we can hope that this was just a bad season for Tadic and that somehow he gets some form together and adds consistency to his game.

I'll also add that I may be a little harsh on Tadic as I don't particularly like him after the incident in which he complained about Puel to the press. How can you whinge about getting subbed off when you are playing crap??

12. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

What I dislike most about Tadic is his speed to blame everyone but himself. He thinks he is so much better than he really is.