1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we ready?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Poolie Mackem Paul, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Poolie Mackem Paul

Im not trying to play devils advocate or be a WUM here but the question i ask is "Are we seriously ready for Europe?".

I know we have a lot of players injured but my concern is more games could possibly mean more injuries next year and last night bringing kids like colbeck and cook on against the likes of Chelsea doesnt inspire confidence. There is no gurantee we will get all the loanees signed up which means we will have to sign more players and this will take more time for them to gel.

Do people not think maybe next year would be a better chance to push on for europe? We have seen what has happened to the likes of Ipswich over the years (i know financially they wernt as strong as us or had a team as strong as us).

Whats peoples thoughts?

2. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

If we do get into Europe this year, it should not be a priority. It should be used as a carrot to attract a top striker and sign our loanees up.

I thought Colbeck, cook etc did ok last night, for the short time they played

3. Poolie Mackem Paul

The thing with regards to the loanees is it may not be entirely up to the players. We all know Mensah and Elmo definatly want to come, however what if bruce decides against Mensah because of his injuries propblems?, what if Man City decide to be the twats 9like they are) because of there financial muscle and not want to give us Nedum, and I think the only way we will get Welbeck is if we get him for another loan. Id imagine Elmo is the only guranteed signing out the loanees which means that could be a possible 3 more additions on top of what we are already planning.

Dont get me wrong im not complaining if we get to Europe and do well but i was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts were.

4. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Muntari should sign as well according to reports if he settles well.

Onouha we should be able to sign.

Mensah? recent injuries were nothing to do with his back problem, so fingers crossed...

Welbeck is the issue, but if we get to europe, i am sure Short will back Bruce in the transfer window again, and we could get 2 quality strikers in..

As I said if we do get to Europe this year, we should not make it a priority, like fulham did.

5. Michaelb22

Michaelb22 New Member

Same here mate,

Like you said a lot of injuries but thats where we seemed to struggle last night a bit, we had no one on the bench to bring on really that could change the game. You would have to think european games would bring along another couple of injuries so at the moment that would leave us starting with the likes of Colback and Cook and then who goes on the bench?

I would say if we made europe we would need another 5-6 squad players to cover both the league and europe. I would like to see us in europe but not at the detriment of another decent league campaign next year.

At the end of the day there are loads of examples like ipswich and fulham etc etc who have struggled and i wouldnt want to see us follow them. No way would i swap a run in europe for a bottom half table scrap next year.

Thats just my opinion though.

6. trevmacksw

trevmacksw Member

not botherd still like to give it a go ready or not

7. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Spot on. Let's get in if we can and worry about it then. Nice problem to have if you ask me!

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

agree 100% if not us in europe who else is good enough this season it is our to loose <bubbly>

9. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

I'm still struggling to believe that we, Sunderland supporters, are talking about Europe. Is it real, are we really that near, are we really not in a relegation fight, did we really just sign Sess and Muntari. Anyone know how I get this silly grin off my face?

10. InBruceWeTrusted

We have to believe and aim high or whats the point in being in football if you aim for mid table.

We probably are not ready for Europe and with Liverpool flying up the table it remains to be seen wether we will finish in 6th spot.

However if we did qualify then I have no doubt we would reinforce the squad in the Summer and make sure we are ready for Europe.

Long way to go in this season yet though!

11. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Syd mentioned on another thread that we have Arsenal, MCity and Spurs left in the top 5 the rest of the games are all around or below us.

If we get into europe then great - the board will hopefully think they've got there a year or 2 early but lets take advantage of a higher profile and sign up more quality, including the loanees (signing Milliband to the board is a statement of raising our profile further afield).

We are in the driving seat at the minute so lets enjoy the chase to the end of the season. IMO I think we'll need our passports next season!

12. Disco

Disco Guest

Need to keep building slowly and patiently. It would be disappointing to do a Fulham...

13. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

NQDP I agree it would be best building slowly and patiently, but patience isn't much of a virtue in football these days - Everything is now now now. In business 3 to 5 year plans are the norm. In football, owners, players and managers come and go inside that timeframe.

I can't see Quinny making the same mistakes as Fulham did if we do qualify.

14. trevmacksw

trevmacksw Member

after 43 years ive waited long enough

15. poolie_mackem

poolie_mackem Well-Known Member

why wait?

Players like Sessegnon and Muntari wouldn't of came to us if the aim wasn't Europe

Some of the fans need to up there ambition to that of the club

We might not get a better chance than this season and Short, Quinn and Bruce are not daft if we qualify the squad will need to beef up abit it will also make us a more attractive destination for players we are after

16. trevmacksw

trevmacksw Member

exactly poolie

17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

We must get into Europa this season, if we want to attract a better standard of player, problem is while we are not up to the quality of the top 5 in squad depth, Liverpool and Villa have also splashed out to threaten. so defence and strikers need to be strengthen with quality to be able to withstand the rigours of next season.

Now is the perfect time to push on otherwise we will lose the impetus and be overtaken, I have watched last nights match 3 times now and whilst there were some outstanding performances, it was glaringly obvious who is not up to the task.
    whilst i will be slated by some Ferdinand Richardson and Henderson in my view left a lot to be desired, on the opposite side there were outstanding performances by Bardsley, Bramble and even Mohammadi if he can progress to take on and beat the defences instead on long passes in, we are also crying out for a target man to hold the ball up and release Gyan, we sorely miss Campbell and Welbeck.

That's my opinion lads no doubt there will be those amongst you who think differently. i await your views.

18. SAFCNippon

SAFCNippon Member

We were in a relegation fight not so long ago.
    Now we are signing players from Inter.

Let's damn well give Europe a go.

19. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Yes, leave the weed alone. Or dare i say go and watch Noocarstle? that would wipe the smile of anyones face mate.

20. Steed's First Touch

Steed's First Touch New Member

Not sure. Even if we're not, we can give it a good go. Plus, it'll put us in a better position to sign 'next level' players.

Did Fulham have a better squad than us when they did it? I don't think so.