1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Anemia and Celiac disease

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Feb 3, 2017.

1. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Just remembered something my bro-in-law used to do. If you go abroad, the travel company will help you with a translated letter for you to show in restaurants to let them know your food must be gluten free.

Brian Storm likes this.
  2. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Actually doing this at the moment....Coconut oil, kale, spinach, berries and almond milk. My girlfriend put me on it. I was pretty cynical to start with but got to admit I feel a million times better now and would recommend it to anyone. Having a shake (not alcohol related lol) in the morning and then one at lunchtime. At night I'm doing the chicken and veggies...

Brian Storm and Tel (they/them) like this.
  3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I put peanut butter in mine when I'm hungry - the good stuff, not sunpat. And oats too, but that's no good for Bri's lady.

Cuts through fat in days for me.

Brian Storm and LAMackem like this.
  4. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

My motivation to do this and feel a lot was due to going to run the marathon here in Los Angeles in March. I have done it three times before but thought since I was 60 now I would give it another whirl. Yes I know....doing this at 60 I am must be f*cking mad....."well I support Sunderland your honour"....my case rests....lol.

Brian Storm, Tel (they/them) and RTB like this.
  5. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Best wishes to your lass Bri.
    Hope everything gets sorted.

Brian Storm likes this.
  6. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

60!! Well done mate!

LAMackem likes this.
  7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

upsetting to hear that Bri i really do hope everything goes well for you and your lass, sorry for the late reply was looking at houses in Germany just got back

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that bri
    Good luck mate

Brian Storm likes this.
  9. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Scary stuff mate. Hope it all turns out well.

Brian Storm likes this.
  10. makemdan

makemdan Well-Known Member

Not directly but my Mrs had gluten problems after gall bladder removal, became gluten intolerant which is much milder but still causes problems. We still try to keep low on wheat products but the bloody stuff is in all sorts of pre- prepared foods. I found a canny book in the works for £4 which identifies 7 gluten free grains, namely
    Quinoa
    Buckwheat
    Teff
    Millet
    Cornmeal
    Sorghum
    Amaranth.
    It's quite good if you like to cook your own stuff 14861594890012054086006.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Brian Storm likes this.

11. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

My missus is and apparently always has been Iron deficient. It was discovered when she was pregnant with our first, she just had no energy at all and kept fainting all the time. The doctor suggested she eat more green veggies and drink Guinness, imagine that one now eh? anyway it did work although i reckon it was the veggies that did it rather than the black stuff, plus some other meds/supplements that i'm ****ed if i can remember what they were.

I realise that your lass is different and i hope she finds and answer to her issues mate, but it can't hurt to get her eating more greens can it?

PS: Her farts will be rancid so give her a wide berth after meal times.

Brian Storm likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody for the kind words. I think long term she'll nail it, and as many have said here, she'll be much better for it. Just the short term anemia is my worry. She has little energy and is constantly lightheaded, I've not been able to sleep while she is cause I'm scared she passes out and swallows her tounge. Bit impatient to get through this diagnoses period so we can get rid of the anemia. Going to be a long 3 months.

13. Billy Death

I'm wondering if a daily iron supplement might help that?

14. Brian Storm

She's on them Billy. She's taking iron and folic acid as her blood's showed signs of both types of anemia. It's all part of the diagnostic process, in three months of taking the supliments and gluten products, if she's still deficient it means she does indeed have celiac disease and that the disease is causing vitamin lock out. Meaning no mater how many vitamins she takes, her body can't absorb them. She'd then take all gluten out of her life at which point her body would start to absorb vitamins and minerals again and the anemia will clear up. She'll have quality of life again. If she does have celiac disease, and it's looking extremely likely, if it didn't get get sorted and carried on eating gluten it would eventually kill her.

Double edged sword though, when she stops the gluten she'll become even less tolerant to gluten meaning later in life accidental consumption will be much more serious the longer he life goes goes on. It will become as dangerous as a peanut allergy.

15. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Just on the peanut allergy, I've had one since birth and had a handful of run-ins especially when younger though I found as I grew older I knew what to look out for and when I should bring up the fact I have one. It becomes much more manageable as time goes on. I rarely have any issues now and know the foods I can and can't eat, especially when eating Chinese/Indian food.

Hope that it becomes as manageable for you Mrs.

Brian Storm likes this.
  16. Billy Death

Bloody hell Bri - vitamin lock out.
    Does that mean that whatever she eats she's getting no nutrition from the food?
    I wish I could be of more help but this is something I no nothing about.

17. Brian Storm

Yeah, she'll educate herself and through time it will become second nature for her.

Cheers fella :)

Well at the moment according to her bloods she's low on Iron and Folic acid, everything else is fine at the moment. Iron effects how many red blood cells you produce and Folic acid effect the structure of the red blood cells. Red blood cells are the oxygen carriers so this is why she's been fainting and lacking so much energy.

Basically for people with Celiac disease, when they have gluten, it makes the immune system turn on the small intestines, over time this prevents nutrient intake in the small intestines, so in essentially yes Bill, over time she'd take less and less nutrients from her food and eventually it could kill her but more likely it would trigger another condition that would kill her. It's an immune thing, leaving her vulnerable to all sorts of conditions.

But as many have said, once diagnosed she'll correct her diet and live quite happily with it. It's the short term I'm worried while she's got anemia.

18. Billy Death

Well I hope everything go's well pal. <ok>

Brian Storm likes this.
  19. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I don't know much about it, but it does seem to me like a condition that can now be managed now that it has been identified..Give your lovely lady my best wishes mate..

20. Brian Storm

Thank you, will do mate. :)