1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic And Now for Something Completely Different

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC, Nov 20, 2015.

1. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

2. Quill

Quill Bastard

"It was 70 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play..."

The Beatles' most famous album, 50 years old today.

ElTigre and Kempton like this.
  3. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

The first time I heard that album was in a roomful of people including Jon Snow the news bloke not the actor, and Robert Palmer.
    Mixed in better circles in those days.<laugh>

4. Barchullona

You like your music history, Quill. Who do you think was the guitarist on this 1964 track? No googling.
    If you listen to the Stones version it is amazing how Jagger seems to impersonate his singing and phrasing.

5. Quill

Quill Bastard

Hendrix. It certainly sounds like him, even that early.

The opening chords made me think of Jimi straight away.

6. Barchullona

It was. 1964. One of the other guitarists in that band was a big influence on him.

Another of those records that still feels fresh 53 years on. It was fun in those days hearing bands covering tracks by people few in this country had heard of and hunting out the better, in most cases, originals.

Quill likes this.
  7. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Always preferred Rubber Soul myself.

8. Quill

Quill Bastard

Agreed, always been an Abbey Road or Revolver man myself, Rubber Soul too, but there's no denying, at least in the general public's mind, Sgt. Pepper is their 'biggest' album.

For this anniversary, George Martin remixed the album - I've listened to it and honestly it sounds better than the original 1967 mono version. It's been completely cleaned up and sounds you could never hear before appear.

9. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

100% agree, Sgt Peppers isn't even in The Beatles top 4 albums. Never understood why it gets so much attention over the far superior Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul and The Beatles. Although A Day In The Life is my favourite song of theirs.

10. Quill

Quill Bastard

It's because of what it represented at the time. Unlike the albums both preceding and followng, it does sound like a product of it's time.

In saying that, coming out in the summer of 1967 helped it's legacy too.

dennisboothstash likes this.

11. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Just to avoid any confusion, that's 'The White Album'. :emoticon-0126-nerd:

I love anything from Rubber Soul onwards.

12. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Eff off.

Sgt Peppers is actually maybe 6th best, I forgot about The Best of the Beatles.

PLT and Kempton like this.
  13. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

14. Barchullona

You don't want to come out with sweeping statements about those times and what was represented which has to be based on what you read as it was before your time. Things were a lot more diverse then with singles especially bought by a more wide ranging age group. No one in my circle, and in that of any mods,m was sat about gazing at their navels listening to psychedelic stuff, though a lot were. It was Creation, Action, Alan Brown Set, Jimmy James, Geno Washington, none of who set the charts alight but used to pack out clubs. Plus Otis, Tamlaght and a fair sprinkling of people like DesmondvDekker and Prince Buster. A lot of the nostalgia and social statements about those days comes from people who weren't there.
    To see what I mean look at the list of number one singles. See what was the biggest selling single of 1967 and kept the Beatles best ever double A side off number one and stopped their run off consecutive number ones. Interesting to see which were the big sellers in 1966 and 1967, better years for music in my opinion as was 1964. The best selling singles are highlighted in yellow.
    What is amazing is how many of the songs from those days strike a chord with all age groups even with people in their teens and twenties.Something I don't think will be the case in 50 years with today's music.
    1967, to most of us in our teens then was the year listening to the radio was spoilt when that great advocate of freedom and democracy, Tony Benn. banned the pirate radio stations (you had to be about then to appreciate what a breath of fresh air they were, how they altered things and gave bands like the Who and Small Faces exposure they would never have got on the BBC) and gave the BBC a monopoly on what we could listen two and meant sure that anything not to their liking didn't get airtime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones_of_the_1960s#1967

Kempton likes this.
  15. tigerincanada

tigerincanada Well-Known Member

Well said. I used to listen to Radio Luxemberg with a transistor radio hidden under my pillow at boarding school. Then along came the pirates ... London and Caroline - what a breath of fresh air. The movie "Pirate Radio" is worth a viewing.

Kempton likes this.
  16. Barchullona

And Radio 270 off Scarborough and then in Brid Bay. My mate's dad used to supply them using his fishing coble. Don Robinson had a finger in that pie. The main man was William Proudfoot, supermarket owner and former Tory MP. His promotion of causes the Labour Party didn't see eye to eye with won't have helped the pirate station cause. Ironic that the wavebands which were supposedly interfering with all sorts of transmissions and the primary excuse for shutting them down were among the ones auctioned off by Blair's government for large amounts of money,

tigerincanada likes this.
  17. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Let's have it...

18. Barchullona

Meanwhile in 1964 whilst up here folk were still growing their hair and wearing Cuban heels and Johnny Pat and the Aces were the top local band, elsewhere you could go down the local and watch these. Good 17 year old drummer - imagine what he could have done with one of those big kits they have nowadays.

tigerincanada and Kempton like this.
  19. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

this crash just now in the indy 500

he walked away from it

"

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  20. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Mods don't delete this, it's not political!