1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alfie Mawson

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by trundles left foot, Jun 16, 2017.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Whats this all about Alfie......PS .....Fernandez and Mawson leaked a lot of goals during their pairing ...just saying

2. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Roof, when we paired Mawson and Fernandez, we conceded 26 goals in 19 games. the 19 games prior we conceded 44 goals. Now I don't know, but I would say that was a marked improvement and that means we were leaking a lot more goals before them.

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

We were absolutely atrocious in every department in the first 19 games because of Guidolins slow start and Bewildered Bobs mystery appointment and its catastrophic consequences.

When Clement turned up we improved dramatically as a team, particularly in defense but this improvement certainly wasn't due to Mawson and Fernandez being paired up imo. Clement changed our formation and breathed belief into the squad who responded and bought into Clements 'way'. We all saw how much better we were under him and our improvement was significant in all areas and aspects of our game. The biggest improvement though was how organized we became and how we worked and bust a gut as a team especially in defense, that was so impressive.

Regarding our CB's, Fernandez got the nod over VDH because VDH was so young, then 23, imo. I think Clement was reluctant to play Mawson and VDH because they were both so young and therefor considered inexperienced. So VDH took one for the team and Fernandez got the nod on experience only.

I think if VDH was picked ahead of Fernandez we'd still have got the results we did and we'd be purring over both our young CB's not just Mawson. Maybe VDH would have taken one or more of the open goals Fernandez missed up the sharp end, or held his position or had the speed to catch an attacker Fernandez couldn't, maybe, maybe, who knows? I personally don't think we'd have been any worse off with VDH playing next to Mawson. Just my opinion, I freely admit, I'm no fan of Fernandez and think we can do so much better, even with VDH and Bartley.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. trundles left foot

I couldn't disagree with you more, if VDH had played alongside Mawson, we would have gone down. I saw a change in Fernandez when he was paired with Mawson and both were given game time. But I will point out one thing the most important person, decided that those 2 needed to be paired together and it worked. that person being PC,

Fernandez got the nod over VDH not because he was young but because he is a poor championship defender at best, No pace, cant pass turning circle of the QE2. and was actually our 4th choice behind Amat. If PC had thought he was the answer and good enough he would have played him no matter what his age. We can all guess what would have happened if PC hadn't paired Fernandez and Mawson, but he did and the outcome was we conceded less goals, had more clean sheets and got more points, I know there are other factors in terms of shape and formation. But facts are there and we don't have to guess what might have happened.

5. seabreeze

Let me put it this way , Mawson played 27 games and we let in 45 goals ...edit .. well , lot of goals.

6. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

What are you doing on here?.............................<laugh>

7. trundles left foot

Van der hoorn played 8 conceded 22. I think the ratio is worse almost 3 goals a game when he has played compared to under 2 with Mawson. But I accept you rate him, seems that PC the one who counts didn't. We will find out this year though whether he does or doesn't.

8. seabreeze

7 starts and 1 sub for Van Der Hoorn . I pretty sure out of those 7 starts he played against Man U , Man City , Liverpool , Tottenham and in a 5th game was Man of the Match in a goalless draw against Watford where he made 4 interceptions and won 11 aerial battles . . In his first season as a regular starter with Utrecht , they had one of their best seasons , qualifying for UEFA Cup and Van Der Hoorn was voted " Player of the Season " at the age of 20 . Like many a good young player , he got in with a big club " Ajax " and didn't get opportunity . I think there is a very good player in Mike , a real leader .. ask who voted him player of the year .

9. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Trunds ..That is not much of an improvement and unless we bring in at least 3 quality defenders i think we will keep on leaking goals and will be in a relegation battle again....Our defense was shocking and as we head to the states tomorrow i dont see any improvement...

10. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Anyone who saw Van Der Hoorn playing last night would have seen his limitations, struggling to cope against league two players doesn't bode well for his chances of a first team place in the prem. Poor signing by Jenkins last summer but we did strike it lucky with Mawson who has already shown that he can thrive at this level & will continue to improve under Clement.

swanseaandproud likes this.

11. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Ok I see VDH isn't flavour of the month but I think he's better than people see him, but I cant for the life of me see why no one is talking about Fernandez? ffs, Fernandez?

Pleas someone tell me different but the facts are that Fernadez is too slow, extremely weak in the air, even worse on the ground and can't hit the side of a bus with his head in attack. The best thing I've seen him do is to pull out of a tackle but that's because he can't tackle.

He's a league 1 CB tops, he'd be a suspect one in the Championship so can some one please tell me how the fekk is he a CB in the prem and worse than that OUR CB.

Please point out to me ANYTHING he has done that could be considered premiership quality, or ANYTHING he has done for us other than flap around and leave gaps a blue whale could get through in defence.

ANYTHING?

swans-m likes this.
  12. seabreeze

Anyone who saw VDH play the other night were watching the early preseason game of a young CB who (after having a brilliant 2012 -2013 ) has had his confidence ripped to shreds when Ajax picked him up and sent him down , and then we got him and used him in 7 starts .. under 3 different managers . Clement only used him one time but he'll have a real chance to see VDH before the season starts . IMO our most agile jumper in defence , would be my first guy pencilled in when playing teams that pump long rage balls into our box .... IF some confidence can be instilled in him . It's times like this I miss Laudrup , always ready to give a young player a chance

13. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

14. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Sorry but having watched him live every time he has played for Swans (including pre season friendlies in UK) I'm of the opinion that he is just not good enough. Yes he can head the ball clear but his positional sense is suspect as was shown as recently as at Barnet where they scored when he completely lost their striker. Reckon Clement has seen his short comings having coached him & the other defenders since January, Fernández & Mawson improved dramatically over that period but the Dutchman is the weak link & needs replacing.

15. trundles left foot

Nailed it mate I have to say. Stumpy, not saying Fernandez is awesome, but he is definitely an improvement for me on others we have had, still prone to a bad pass, but overall for me our best 2 CB are Mawson and Fernandez.

16. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Agree with Libertyswan about VDH, he can do the basics pass, control and head the ball but his game management is suspect. and I don't know whether this can be coached into him.

trundles left foot likes this.
  17. trundles left foot

I have to agree some are late bloomers I know, but that many years at Ajax and a season here and he isn't a baby, should be in his prime at 24.

18. seabreeze

I guess we'll see , he must have been doing something right his first regular season in the top flight as the starter for Utrecht . One of their best seasons and he was " Player of the Season " for the team . The only real chance he had with us was 3 games in a row . One game he scored our only goal against Man U and in another was MOTM against Watford . He is a player , IMO , that has potential and no confidence . Like I say , we'll see .... nobody has seen enough of him to make judgement yet .

19. trundles left foot

1 good season in the last 6 speaks volumes.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  20. seabreeze

One good season , picked up by Ajax and lost in the organization you mean . I'm not totally sure on VDH , but it seems a lot of people are . Bartley and Mawson were nowhere when VDH won the player of the season for Utrecht , qualifying for UEFA , now that speaks volumes . A young player has a great season , a big club sees it and they pick him up and basically ruin his career ... because they can .