1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

60 min games with clock stops

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by PINKIE, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Geez SD! How far from WHL do you live?

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

How long do you think a 90 minute game will take with the clock stopped for every injury, free kick, goal, penalty etc. An 8pm kick-off will finish at 11pm I would guess. And I'll have to get back from frigging Wembley!

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Get back to where? Lincoln? <laugh>

60 minutes is too much of a drop, you think the ball is out of play for 30 minutes in a game? No chance.
    80 minutes, like rugby would be better.
    Or don't go to Night games :)
    Last time I went to a night game it was away to Blackburn Rovers in 1998 I think it was. Trip home from Blackburn to Milton Keynes wasn't too clever, but we won 3-4. Awesome game :)

SpursDisciple likes this.
  4. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Won't make any difference to me. The plane home doesn't go until the morning:emoticon-0102-bigsm

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's what they've measured it at. It wouldn't surprise me, honestly.
    How long does the average corner or direct free-kick take?

6. Bald Archie

Bald Archie Not606 Official Lurker

As PnP has pointed out, you'd be surprised how long the ball is out of play.

I remember well, during the coverage of the Italian World cup in 1990, we were getting introduced to on screen stats during a match such as possession, corners etc, stuff we now take for granted along with the now, mountain of stats flung at us.

But one stat you rarely see now which I remember vividly from 1990, was the 'ball in play' stat, which flashed up at the end of each half, and it was usually 25-30 minutes. The fact that around 15 minutes was being 'wasted' each half was probably the reason they stopped showing it too much afterwards.

So 30 minute halves with dead ball clock stopping would, IMO be the way to go. Cut out the time wasting nonsense once and for all.<ok>

7. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I've never liked penalty shoot outs. I would much rather the game be won playing football rather than from the spot. I know game cant last forever waiting for a goal.

The fewer players on the field the more likely to see a goal. After extra time, restart as 7 aside. If 5 minutes later still no goal drop to 5 aside. 5 mins after that drop to 3 aside. I guarantee with only 3 men on field per team a goal will go in very quickly.

A way to remove penalty shoot outs, which is fair and shouldn't take too ridiculously long.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Quite like penalties myself. Although the idea of a 3 aside would be great too, it would be a really exciting spectacle.

9. The Ginger Marks

Call it whatever you like, premier league football is the worst value per game under the sun. Now the cuts want to make it shorter. I say **** off you cnuts

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Aren't they changing the way they do shootouts? To what they call the 'ABBA' system?

I'd like to trial having the shootout before et, so many et periods are just a procession with both teams waiting for pens.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

As long as no Swedish pop singers in silver body suits take any pens, then I'm up for trialling that.

12. The Ginger Marks

Have you been to Harvesters with the Saints collective?

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Is there 40% off ?

14. The Ginger Marks

Absolutely!

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Do you shorten the pitch to accommodate the lower number of players? I say this because you used the word 'fair'. Not sure how fair it is on anyone to have to play 7 a side after a 90 minute game, then 5 then possibly 3 a side, on a full size pitch. To my mind that would look like a farce and makes a mockery of the game.

Penalties should be taken before kick off, then watch one of the teams go bat crazy in extra time because they know they have to win it in ET. Yes the other team might set up to defend extra time, that's fair enough and good luck because they would need it if the opposition is attack minded anyway.

16. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

No. Keep pitch same size. Lower density of players per area favours an attack strategy/ team with the ball. Tired players more likely to make mistakes. As number of players decrease chance of a goal being scored increases. Winner is decided by football that way instead of random penalties which are a huge part luck.

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yeah I know that, what I'm saying is it's a **** idea and why, Milky.

18. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

They used to do the 'ball in play' stat years ago on Sky... and in general it was about 60 minutes a game. Was always pretty shocked at that... imagine not much has really changed, hence they are using the 60 minute mark as the basis!

As for penalties - maybe doing a shout out before the game might motivate the team who lost the shoot out to be more attacking, but will also have the opposite to the team who won it!

At Watford at half time, we used to a kind of shoot out for the local school kids. They'd run from the centre circle and would be a one-on-one with the keeper. The keeper is allowed to come out as far as wants to close the player down, and the player had something like 7-10 seconds to score! Enjoyed that, and was a bit more exciting than a normal penalty, and gave the keeper that more of a chance