1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2015 Mexico GP

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Oct 29, 2015.

?

who is going to make speedy Gonzales look like droopy?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2015.
  1. Hamilton

59.1%
  2. Rosberg

13.6%
  3. Vettel

13.6%
  4. Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bottas

13.6%
  7. Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kvyat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This!

The reason both of these accidents happened is because both the lead drivers didn't close off the initial corner - and this is why I don't feel the rules are helping. Had they have done so, either the trailing drivers would have had to yield on the outside of they would have been a able to switch back to the inside. The rules seem to allow the lead driver to wander down the middle of the track and then we are surprised when a car try's to inch into the next corner?

The One move rule (if policed correctly) is the only rule needed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

The main problem with 'aggressive' racing is that a little bit of contact usually ends badly for someone, aside from the cockpit everything is just a bit too delicate these days.

3. Smithers

Forum Moderator

True, but I can't really remember F1 cars not being delicate. I'm not for one minute advocating side swiping or cutting someone up, just that the lead driver picks his one move, and let the trailing driver work out the rest. Not this I'll move to the middle, then I'll squeeze to exactly one cars width depending on which side the opposition chooses etc.etc.

There are too many fazes in the overtake where the rules can be reset and reapplied, especially where you have a quick succession of corners. I honestly believe that drivers have different understanding and perceptions of what they can and can't do which is why we end up with this clumsy tripping over one another.

4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

And the problem without it is that all the cars sit in a line complaining about tyres going off. There really has to be at look ways to encourage overtaking without gimmicks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

LOL. Never take off your tinfoil hat.

6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Coulthard is suggesting the team is effectively being paid to like nico

It does make me wonder how a team of basically British engineers that work in Rosbergs garage feel. What if some of them support Hamilton? Must be tough to stay professional

7. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Depends how your pay bonus is structured?

8. Big Ern

Maybe it has nothing to do with money and it's actually because they like Nico more.

Smithers likes this.
  9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Last year I commented that I felt Rosberg was more popular with his team because he's kind of more integrated with them, he seems to celebrate his wins together with his crew. After the Spanish GP last year Hamilton won and had a face like a slapped arse for reasons I can no longer remember, and I commented at the time that the team probably enjoy it more when Rosberg wins. The engineers and mechanics aren't the kind of people Hamilton typically rubs shoulders with, he's too "showbiz" and unrelatable and I suspect there's a bit of a disconnect between him and the team as a result.

What would be Mercedes motivation for paying the team to "like" Rosberg? To help him win? Because he's German? Why wouldn't they give him a stronger package if they wanted him to win? I agree with Miggins, there's no conspiracy here they just like Rosberg more.

10. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I didn't mean they were paying the mechanics to like Nico, I meant that they will have team bonus structures for points wins etc.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that nice people win nothing!

The team seemed to celebrate with Hamilton pretty well when he won the WDC, and when he wins the race the mechanics celebrations seem genuine enough. Also, when you're used to winning maybe it becomes less special? Nico winning is so rare maybe his side of the garage are going to make the most of it when it happens!?

I agree that Rosberg probably connects better on a human level, but when you're in F1 you're there to win. Nico wills till go back to his various houses across the world, while the boys in the team go back to their semi's in England, so there is only so much a driver can 'relate' to them. Would you get greater satisfaction from preparing a car that wins, or one that doesn't but the guy who drives it is a bit more likeable, before he takes his millions back to Monaco to spend on his lovely wife and go to the shops in his supercar?

12. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Or a guy who can't connect well with anyone other than his mates and ends up spending his millions on parties to twerk with Rihanna?

Tough call :emoticon-0126-nerd:

13. allsaintchris.

We don't know he can't connect.

A few assumptions have been made because of one interview with Rosberg with a few mechanics making some noise in the background.

14. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Was there a Mexico awards thread?

Obviously, I didn't get round to it, but I'd have been interested in the opinions.

15. allsaintchris.

Best driver Rosberg/Bottas
    Worst driver Vettel.

16. Big Ern

I can't decide which one of the Ferrari drivers was worse tbh. Bottas for the DoD though I think

17. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Thanks. Probably a good balance there, as is usual between you guys! ;)

I agree Ferrari were a mess. Unfortunately, it's not much of a surprise with Räikkönen these days, but Vettel had a weekend to forget: I had the latter pencilled in for not606 'Worst Driver'.

I also had Rosberg down for 'Best…'

18. allsaintchris.

Aside from the Ferrari drivers self destructing, when you ignore the spectacle of the return to Mexico, it seemed a largely uneventful race in terms of standout drivers.