1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

1st pre-season defeat for us.

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

well, we lost our 1st game of pre-season tonight losing to a very good reading side. we dominated the 1st half going in at half time 1-0 up. lines and kuffour having great games. 2nd half reading brought on their better players and was end to end but as soon as reading made it 1-1, it was all reading and got a winner.

above info taken from twitter and our OS forum.

so will this defeat now mean anything?
    how will we now re-act?
    will we do a city and go down hill?
    or will we build from this and be happy that we dominated a very goo championship side for 45 mins then go on to lose but still performed very well?

2. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Excellent first half performance....carried on where we left off v Burnley. Carayol is going to give us some memories...great skill and speed.
    Bevan possibly at fault for their first. We tired a bit and they were peeved...wholesale subs by them mid second half.
    Where was Campbell?
    Great reception for Andersen.
    Still very optimistic....a loss will do us no harm.

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Beat Burnley and held a lead to half time against Reading,that is good form,all bodes well...

...but I'm waiting,well done......:emoticon-0127-lipss

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

waiting for what?

5. pirate49

Forum Moderator

Thanks wize..................
    I now don't think the starting league line-up will be far removed from:
    Bevan
    Smith, Virgo, Bolger, L Brown
    Zebroski, Lines, Gill, Carayol
    McGleish, Harrold
    Subs: Cronin, Anyinsah, Kuffour, Stanley, Anthony.

6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

....that's for me to know and you to find out........:emoticon-0103-cool:

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

p49, Anyinsah went off injured tonight. hope he is ok but if he is then rather start with him on wide right to zebroski <ok> if he aint fit then swallow on the bench to replace.

8. pirate49

Forum Moderator

I'm afraid Swallow is beginning to look out of his depth. He had a good match v Mangotsfield but since then he just hasn't shown the pace or power of Buckle's signings.
    What impresses about Zebroski is his tackling back. There is a danger that we could be TOO attack minded. We need a midfield that can get back, and Z does that.
    I think it's the 'concern' about defence which has led Buckle not to muck about with the back 5 (incl goalie) too much. I think he's bedding them in.

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i havent seen much of pre-season so i take your word for it <ok> looking forward to wimbledon now :)

10. Rhinestone Gashead

Just listened to PB's interview on gas player - he wasn't downhearted at all about the defeat - and I don't think any gas head should be either. Fact is we are gonna lose games this season - but if we lose playing like that (I wasn't at the game :-( ) then I don't think we will be too disspondant. Everything sounds geared up and almost ready to go - bring on the 6th - bring on the Wimbledon - GAME ON!

11. Rhinestone Gashead

P49 - think you got it about right with ref the starting 11 - having said that we havent seen Wimbledon ( I expect PB has had them watched in pre season) so don't know their strengths and weaknesses! Most of the players could do a job for us - Cambell might make the bench because of his versatility - i.e. - cover for left back. Starting to feel excited about the season now, and really looking forward to the 6th - and of course Torquay at home!!

12. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Been pretty impressed this pre season, with most of our players. Lines and Kuffour look to be hitting the form we know they can again which is great to see. I love our wingers so far; look deadly when on the attack. Defence looked shaky last night second half, but I suppose with our tired players against 7 very fast subs coming on, it would be harsh to criticise them for the defeat. We looked good first half, looked good against Burnley, looked good in our other pre season games and look good for the coming season. Cant wait!

13. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Do you think Lines will be the first choice for captain? In my opinion being captain will bring the best out of him. It would be a smart move to make one of the longer serving Rovers players captain anyway. and he's a proud Bristolian. The only issue will be if he has a great season, then he'll get snapped up in the transfer window.

14. pirate49

Forum Moderator

I was thinking that...bit like when Campbell made Hoskins captain. Wouldn't be surprised.

15. Chris-Gashead

Possibly, but if he is sold on for a decent price, I wouldnt be too worried as it looks like we have a solid midfield in place at the moment anyway.

16. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

how did young matty harrold do, did he play. yes we lost last night at kidder. we were trialling a couple of possibles, tomorrow we entertain tranmere which will also be a challenge. i think it will take both our great clubs a couple of games to settle before we both go haring up the league. the very best of luck to rovers. floreat salopia!

17. APL 2011

APL 2011 New Member

so will this defeat now mean anything?
    how will we now re-act?
    will we do a city and go down hill?
    or will we build from this and be happy that we dominated a very goo championship side for 45 mins then go on to lose but still performed very well

CJS -

You cannot go much further downhill can you ?

Basement boys are you not - and a live audience to please first game of the season, would it not be ironic if you lost to the new boys.

18. Jonesey

Jonesey Well-Known Member

Who are you - ****ing Yoda?

Ah silly me, of course you're not - you're from the dark side after all.

19. Chris-Gashead

Who are you - ****ing Yoda?

<laugh>

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh>