1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£12m bid for Charlie Austin rejected by QPR??

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by FosseFilberto, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

In any job there are different skill sets and job performance objectives. To make that statement is simplistic and wrong. Personality has a great deal to do with it, especially when 'respect' is of primary concern for your boss. You cannot write off my memory past the last 15 years - it may be irrelevant to you buy it certainly isnt for me or others of the older generation. Like I say, we do not know the reason (full disclosure) as to why he was sacked, but if for example, you show disrespect for your boss then that would be gross misconduct and a sackable offence. I use that purely as an example as I nor you nor anyone knows the real reason.

2. Lesta Gangsta

Lesta Gangsta Well-Known Member

Come on. This is not a normal job. The difference between results on the pitch means millions of pounds. You take someone who's a bit bullheaded to get results. We don't know the reasons for his sacking, but I actually hope it was something pretty serious and not just the minor incidents that we know about, because they're just not sufficient grounds to risk our club's future. The fact that he's talking of legal action certainly implies HE doesn't think he's done anything seriously wrong.

I'm not writing off your memories. I'm saying that 15 years is a very long time in football terms and just because some posters can remember further back doesn't change this.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  3. THE FOXES 1884

THE FOXES 1884 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it´s been said, but it looks like he could be off to NUFC. I don´t think we need him tbh. I´d like to see us spend that type of money on an offensive & defensive MID player or another DEF or 2. Give the FOR´s that we have a good chance next season, we have a good bunch up top & if we make sure the back is soilid or the **** about us going down that´s spouted out on here will be egg on their faces.
    A very tight back line (like Southampton) is the way ahead.

4. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... then perhaps try choosing your words a little more carefully because referring to the past and therefore such memories as 'irrelevant' does suggest otherwise .... (IMHO)...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  5. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

You are forgiven LG :1980_boogie_down: - 15 years is like a blink of the eye to me. Appreciate that it is more than half of a life for some on here and hence - a long time. It is all relative. Not sure what a normal job looks like any more, but I do know that whatever the role if you disrespect your boss then you are ****ed. Would be really shocked if he got the bullet purely because of previous discretions.

Lesta Gangsta likes this.
  6. Jack Lesterfan

Jack Lesterfan Well-Known Member

7. Wellernever

Wellernever Well-Known Member

Results affect payments for finishing position, outside perception of the brand (club) affect sponsorship revenues, merchandising etc. The "minor" incidents you refer to were all pretty serious in my eyes and in any other workplace environment would have led to instant action. Pearson was also lucky not to be fired for the appalling run of results we had. The owners have invested tens of millions into the club and now need a manager to take us to the next level. You will argue that Pearson could have, I say that he couldn't have. As for legal action, more chance of Elvis duetting with Amy Winehouse at next years Glasto. If he doesn't think he's done anything seriously then he must be an Ostrich.

8. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

Jack Lesterfan likes this.
  9. Lesta Gangsta

I think some of you are reading what you want into my comments. Nowhere did I say the past or anybody's memories of the past were irrelevant. I said 15 years "is a LONG time, whether some posters can remember further back than that or not is utterly irrelevant." Or to put it another way, being able to remember further back than 15 years does not mean that 15 years is not a long time. Time is obviously relative but to mere mortals i'd say 15 years is a long time. And in football terms, it's massive.

Proud Fox likes this.
  10. Lesta Gangsta

Pretty serious??? Calling a reporter an ostrich? The messing about with McArthur? Losing his rag with a dick of a fan? Not serious in my book; slapped wrist at best. The Thai incident wasn't good, but not his fault. The right actions seem to have been taken.

You think Pearson should have been sacked during our poor run? Then you and I have very different opinions on creating a stable, secure environment at a football club. I always believe new managers should be chosen very carefully, as you should stand by them through thick and thin. If a board has to sack a manager, then they have failed in selected an appropriate manager and are responsible for that failure. It's too easy to blame a manager. Besides, I've said all along that although our results weren't good enough, our performance have, on the whole, been excellent, which too many fans have overlooked. If manager deserves sacking for producing excellent performances, well, as I said, we have very different views.

You're probably right about our owners wanting to move to the next level, but as I said elsewhere, I think they're in for a shock if they think we're going to be attracting world class names just because we've survived one season in the Premier League. Again, I think we will seriously struggle to attract a manager of Pearson's quality or better.

Proud Fox likes this.

11. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Perfectly summed up IMHO

12. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

merited
    ... OK ... you've explained your comments ... but I have to say I strongly disagree ... it is the very fact that we can remember back more than 15 years that the older generation are able to put Nigel Pearson's tenure into 'perspective' to those of other Leicester City managers and hence this debate... Proud comments somewhere that he can't understand why some fans have "turned" on a man he sees as a hero ... the reality is that many of those fans haven't turned at all .. Nigel is an ex-Leicester City manager now and is merely being measure against other ex-Leicester City managers ... and is coming up short in that in the opinion of people very much entitled to have such an opinion .... because of 15-20-40-50 years of watching the club ... all VERY relevant to those fans ...

13. Wellernever

There would be a lot of people who wanting to work for your business - staff would be allowed to verbally abuse customers, physically abuse staff of competitors and be condescending to anyone who had the temerity to ask questions about products and staff performance. The Christmas parties would be a riot.
    If you feel the owners are responsible, do you feel they should go?
    Your dictionary must have a completely different definition for the word excellent than mine, because in my eyes our performances would not be seen that way.
    I believe we will appoint a manager of better quality than Pearson and god willing we will have a more consistent season and finish a couple of places higher.

LeicesterWizard likes this.
  14. Lesta Gangsta

What other line of business do you have people treated you like the customers in football? None, it wouldn't be tolerated. Pearson was within his right to give some back to that fan. I've said many times I think the McArthur incident was blown out of proportion; Pearson was mucking about but McArthur didn't want to know. I used to work in PR and used to be condescending all the time when asked stupid questions by journalists trying to dig out an unpleasant story. I've also worked on the other side and been talked to like crap on many occasions.

Owner's don't go though do they? They're answerable to no-one.

FF himself, who seems to share your point of view on many issues, said several times that he saw some of the best football he's seen in man a year last season. I've been watching Leicester for 20 years and it's certainly the best I've ever seen us play. But each to their own.

I HOPE you last sentence comes to pass. The fact that they clearly have no-one lined up makes me fear it won't.

15. Lesta Gangsta

You strongly disagree that 15 years is a long time? Well I sincerely hope it is because 15 years is about 1/7 of the average life span! I know life is short but... as I said, time is relative.

The rest - I don't, and never have, disputed. If you believe I have, well, as I said previously, you're reading things in my comments that aren't there. But while we're on the subject, in the Premier League era (23 years), in which football has changed almost beyond recognition, Pearson is the second most successful manager we've had. If that's not enough to become a "legend" or a "hero" then we've been a pretty poor show in the Premier League era.

16. Wellernever

Yea of little faith. Tomorrow or Wednesday you see!

17. Wellernever

For a club in the 10th most populous city in the country our Premier League showing has been pretty poor. Whilst Pearsons overall win percentage at the club is good in the premiership it's only 29% (11 wins from 38 matches). Hero to some, maybe - Legend, you're joking.

18. Wellernever

Leicester vs Luton February 16th 1974. One of the best performances I've seen from a Leicester team

19. Lesta Gangsta

Unfortunately I was -3 then.

20. Lesta Gangsta

Sadly, I have lost my faith in the owners. I only hope they do something which restores it.