1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zamora/ Stockdale for England

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by RobespierreFFC, May 23, 2011.

1. RobespierreFFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13507846.stm

Bobby Zamora and David Stockdale have been called up for the euro qualifier against switzerland. I am really pleased for both of these players, as they have been in and out the team for one reason or another this season, but have both excelled when fit and playing. My only concern is with the number of knocks zamora has picked up since returning to fitness, is this one game too many, especially with his next game for fulham potentially being at the end of june depending on the fair play verdict. I have been feeling for a while now that while he has been great when playing, he needs a chance to have a rest and be in top shape for the start of next season.

2. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Robes, i too am really pleased for both these lads. Great for Stockdale to get more international experience, hopefully it will instill confidence in him. As for Bobby, I could not be more pleased for him. Prior to getting his leg broken he was just beginning to assert himself in Capello's squad. To get another call up so soon after his recover will be a big boost for him. I am sure he will have set himself various goals to aim for and getting his England call up will be right up there. I have to congratulate the club for the way they have dealt with his recovery. He has been slowly getting game time without being rushed back, hopefully more training will be beneficial for him.

3. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Congrats to both the lads. Glad Bobby is back in the England squad, he looked good the first time he played in an England shirt. As for Stockdale I am happy, again a great player but worried he will be looking for first team football next season. Schwarzer has been consistent again this season (bar the few dodgy kicks) - which worries me as Stockdale surely will not be happy on the bench. I feel that qualifying for Europe may be the only answer as it will be a very demanding season of extra games, meaning Stockdale may get to play more. Time will tell

4. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Stocky gradually introduced more and more so that he is first choice by the end of next season (when Skippy will be 39). Let's face it Schwarzer was happy enough to piss off to international duty for a chunk of the winter, I think Stocky deserves his chance (assuming he's kept his standards up).

5. frogman27

frogman27 Member

I completely agree Tosh. Schwarz has been a great keeper for us over the years but Stockdale is young and a real talent. It would be terrible if he went elsewhere for first team football and we missed out on him for years to come.

6. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

This is great news and deserved. Great news for Fulham too.

7. Penguin

Penguin Member

And great news for England, Cravingawin!

8. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

9. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Congratulations to the lad. On his marriage I mean, I'm not sure that the goalkeeping position for England has been anything but a poisoned chalice.

10. valjing

valjing Member

Quite agree Rockey,when you look at some of the seasons performances,
    of those that have been capped between the posts

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Agree with most of the above comments. Delighted to see both players get the recognition, and would love to see Bobby get a game (I don't see him making the starting eleven though, I think Bent will get the nod ahead of him).

I agree that if forced to let one of our keepers go, we should keep Stockdale, but I think you're a bit harsh on Schwarzer, Tosh. The press here (and most of us, I suspect) would be up in arms if a key England international put his foreign club ahead of important England games. And unless we're expecting him to retire from international football, we would have been powerless to keep him if Australia called him up, anyway.

I'd love both keepers to still be here next season; if one has to go, as I said before, I'd hope we sell Schwarzer to keep Stockdale, but I don't understand the ill-feeling that some people seem to have towards MS. He's been great for us and apart from one rare bad game against Liverpool hasn't really done anything wrong in his time with us.

12. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Morning everyone. Sorry folks, but as usual I agree with the Commodore, although to be fair I rarely disagree with Tosh either. The Prem is an international league now, and it used to irritate me when Wenger moaned because he lost so many African players when their big competition came round, as he must have realised these were internationals or potential internationals at the time of signing.

However, the future is Stockdale because of age, and I think he'll be looking to be first choice this season either here or elsewhere. I think that Schwarzer has at least one more good season ahead, but after that you'd have to worry about Father Time. At this moment Schwarzer is still the proven better, but to lose Stockdale would be a greater loss long term. How do you all think Schwarzer would react if MH gave Stockdale the no.1 jersey? This is the problem with keepers - some are happy to be on the bench but anyone who steps in is by definition short of practice at the top level.

13. RobespierreFFC

We should do all we can to keep stockdale. With foster having retired from internationals for an 'indefinite' period, stockdale is in a position where he can push hart for the no.1 jersey. Whether he'd have any chance of getting it is another debate in itself but it shows that he needs first team football to be looking at a regular spot as no.2 or even no.3 england keeper. If schwarzer is happy to sit on the bench then I'd love to keep him, though I can understand if he wants to play for the final year or 2 of his career and therefore may seek a move elsewhere.

A similar example of this is at man city where you have given and hart. I think it is fair to say that at the moment, or at least when hart was first made city's no.1, given was probably the superior keeper. However, Mancini recognised that with hart having potentially 15 years as city and England's no.1, it was wise to get him playing regularly as soon as possible. In truth, they have a pretty perfect situation with given as back up, though if schwarzer was on given's wages I imagine he'd happily our back up as well!

14. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I must say I'm amazed rp that you think it'll be a good thing for Stockdale to get the England goalkeeping post: Green, Foster, Robinson, Carson are just a few I remember in recent times who have been undermined by the media after untypical mistakes which in turn have led to a drop in confidence. The longer he keeps away from that lot the better I believe.

15. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'm with rocky on this one. Though it would make me immensely proud to have Stocky between the sticks for England, it's a real poisoned chalice. All of the keepers rocky mentioned (with maybe the exception of Green) were seen as class and valuable commodities before making a mistake for England. Look at them now! Robinson seems to have regained a bit of his previous form, but has retired from international football. And fair play to him.

16. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Stockdale has pulled out - as is getting married the day before the match

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Apparently Stockdale offered to join up with the squad after his wedding, but Capello said for him not to. I don't think this will affect his international prospects - with Foster opting out and Green reluctant to commit and Robinson in a huff with Capello, I can't see any realistic competition for the reserve keeper's position.

I know what you mean, Rocky, about the curse of the England keeper, but somehow I'm not worried. Maybe I'm just being hopelessly naive, but I think it will just add to Stockdale's learning curve. He seems like a level-headed lad and at 26 he's young for a keeper but old enough to be able to deal with all that.

18. RobespierreFFC

I can understand the potential drama that playing for england can bring, and that often keepers are much better out of the limelight, with robinson an example. I guess though for anyone playing for your country is the ultimate achievement for many footballers and if stockdale is passionate about this then he'll want 1st team football at fulham. Maybe the desire to push hart for the no.1 spot will motivate him, without the pressure of actually playing for england in big matches and therefore not damaging his progress. Very debatable really.

19. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Defoe has pulled out of the England squad leaving only 3 strikers as Capello has said he won't call up anyone.
    Could mean 4-5-1 , my thinking Bent plays up front at start, and Zamora comes on last 20 minutes.

20. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Take your point about playing for England, but Schwarzer for example made a terrible rick against Liverpool the other week but nobody's got at him and he was in good form v Arsenal. On the other hand, any keeper doing that for England - well we all know the rest...