1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zamora for England

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Balls to 4th place, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Balls to 4th place

Balls to 4th place New Member

Pleased with his performance? Will he get another chance? A shoe in for the Euros?

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Yes; probably; no (but a decent shout).

I thought he did well, although not as well as when he last got a chance for England. He gives the England squad something that none of the other striker options gives. For that reason, I think he deserves his place in the squad, but he's a long way from being a shoo-in.

Incidentally, 'shoo in' derives from corrupt horse racing, when jockeys would pre-determine the result of the race and literally wave the designated winning horse to the front, calling out 'shoo' to usher it forward as they did so. It has nothing to do with footwear, hence the spelling. Sorry, I'm a bit of a pedant. Welcome to the site.

3. Balls to 4th place

Balls to 4th place New Member

Captain Super Simon! Thanks for the shoo in info. Beleive it or not when I typed it I did what the blithering ballbags does that mean anyway!

As for Zamora, a shame he didn't score as his overall performance would have received far more credence. It seemed a bedding in performance I for one hope its built upon.

4. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'll be using "blithering ballbags"!

I don't think Zamora will get in the Euro squad to be honest. Capello wants youth and Bobby doesn't fit that description. Sure, there will be older players in the squad but they'll have plenty more international experience than Bobby has. I hope I'm wrong and he bangs in the goals for Ingurlund though.

5. Penguin

Penguin Member

Thanks for that Captain - I've wondered before what that saying meant and now I know!

I was pleased with Bobby's performance and he seems to have got a reasonable amount of credit for it in the press.

What was odd for me watching the game was being desperate for Bobby to score (as usual) but not caring what happened at the other end (as opposed to being nervous every time the ball goes the wrong way over the half way line despite our excellent defence). I must admit I turned over once Bobby went off and was far more excited to hear about Clint's goal than to see Barry's (not that he actually scored it anyway). Club over country every day.

6. RobespierreFFC

Some top notch trivia there captain! As for Zamora going to the euros I think it really depends on how/if Andy Carroll progresses this season, as realistically Capello probably only wants to take 1 target man. I'd love to see Bobby go purely from a Fulham perspective, but realistically at his age if he played for any other club I'd probably oppose his inclusion. Fulham aside, for England's sake if Carroll at 21/22 (don't know how old he is exactly) plays like he did for Newcastle last season and has his head switched on then it would make way more sense to take him. Bobby is definitely good enough for England, but at 30 is more of a stop-gap than long term solution.

Also penguin I completely agree, I'm not the most patriotic person in general so watching England doesn't excite like it does to others. I made a choice to support Fulham but didn't choose to be English, so club over country any day!

7. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Yes, Pleased with his performance.
    Did his job of being a target man and linked well with midfield when given the chance.

No I think Capello will look to Agbonlahor and Bent to be his main strike force without Rooney playing.

No because Capello would have played him more during the year it has been since his last appearance for England, and there will be massive pressure from the popular media not to take him.

You only have to watch a program like Skys Sunday Supplement to know the media are against Zamora being taken by a large majority of the press, who pander to the top 6 clubs popular players.

8. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Agree with the last few - don't care about the england team.

I was pleased with how BZ performed and If I wanted that team to do well then BZ with Gabby running through from deep and/or with Bent sniffing and poaching would be good combinations in the absence of Wazza ( who I quite like, in spite of the circus that the poor lad's life has become).

I'm also glad Agbonlahor is being rehabilitated. He was a fabulous prospect as a youth. Then lost his way/got devalued/played in unfamiliar roles - I always thought him top class and couldn't really understand when he went off the boil.

9. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member