1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zamora for Crouch?

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by oldnslow, Jul 31, 2011.

1. oldnslow

oldnslow Member

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I agree that we don't want this to happen. I seem to recall that Zamora was a Spurs fan as a boy, so I hope that the prospect of this doesn't turn his head and see him start pushing for the chance to move. As long as Bobby's happy to stay with us, I think Jol knocks this back and it ends. If Bobby is unhappy about that, things may well change, sadly. We'll wait and see.

3. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

I hope this doesn't happen. Bobby signed a new four year deal last season, so presumably he's happy where he is and must be on good money. Jol's talked about what an important player he is, so I can't see him letting him go as a straight swap for Crouch. If Spurs offer silly money that might change things, but I'd be surprised if they did given his age. On that subject, I can see Bobby staying at the top of his game for a good few seasons yet if he doesn't get worn down by injuries. Like Kevin Davies - who seems to have got better with age - or Teddy Sheringham, his game doesn't rely on pace and he could well keep getting better as he gets older.

4. RobespierreFFC

Can't think of anything worse for us to be honest. Bobby has plenty of time left on his contract and at 30 I think we could get another good 3/4 years out of him. However if we swapped him for crouch and had crouch and AJ playing together up front, it would be very difficult to see where the goals would come from. I used to rate crouch, largely because of his england performances, but I think Zamora is significantly better and is vital to our attack and the way we play.

5. Captain Morgan

If Bobby were to go, Crouch wouldn't necessarily be my first choice to replace him. I'm still hopeful that El Hamdaoui might come here, and he could be either a partner or, perhaps, a replacement for Bobby. I like Crouch, but would want someone who was either better or on lower wages (preferably both). Apparently Crouch would prefer a move further North for family reasons, so I'm hopeful that the proposed swap might not happen. But as ever, we're all speculating wildly without really knowing what's going on behind the scenes. The key thing in all this is whether or not Bobby wants to make the move to Spurs. If he's happy to stay here for a regular starting spot in a decent team where he's settled, then we've got nothing to worry about.

6. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Seems highly unlikely to me.

If we were to lose Bobby, then we would need better compensation than Crouch. Both Defoe and Pavlyuchenko together would be a more reasonable deal :)

7. Cottagecravens

can't see it personlly. Harry is quick to get rid of strikers that fail - D. Bent a very good striker. Why would Zamora go back to Spurs? Money doubt it. Spurs while they offer good wages are not silly. The values of Zamora and Crouch are silimar but not in style. Zamora offers so much more on the pitch. Hangeland and Crouch up for corners I know which one I'm markup = none.

8. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Pavlyuchenko than Crouch! But honestly, I can't see this happening.

9. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Make it Defoe, Harry, and maybe this goes somewhere. We should have no interest in Crouch, he's an overrated player.

10. Captain Morgan

I think this is a sign of how far we've come. A couple of years ago, when we were linked with Crouch before he opted for Spurs, I'd have been delighted to see Crouch come to Fulham. Now, it feels like a step down for us. I'm sure there's a joke in there about steps down to someone as tall as Crouch, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to craft it. That'll be Sunday afternoon for you.

11. Penguin

Penguin Member

My view on the Crouch rumour and also the Defoe rumour is that as we haven't been linked with any players in the last few days we are back to where we were when Jol was first appointed: lazy journalists linking us with anyone Jol has ever worked with/spoken to/mentioned/seen on the TV.

I can't see either of them joining us and, for the various reasons other people have set out, I'm not disappointed about that.

12. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

This indeed is the nub of it. The offer, so called, is Crouch plus £10m and Bobby being offered well in excess of £50k pw. The hike in money may not turn Bobby's head but will his England aspirations?

My prayers are that Jol sticks to his stated determination to do only what is good for the club.

Taking Crouch would be more than ironic given that the club are in litigation through an appeal on a High Court judgement over FA person's (can't remember his name) 'illegal' involvement in Crouch move from Spurs to Pompey.

13. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Crouch is one of those players, like Joe Cole, who's better on paper than he is in your squad. He couldn't get playing time in Liverpool and he doesn't start for Spuds, either. Bobby has been great for us, but he were sold or injured, I wouldn't turn my nose up at Crouch.

14. Cottager58

I'd have to, to meet him in the eye. But it wouldn't be a joyful look.

15. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Zamora is twice the player Crouch is IMO

16. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

Reading through all the late night gossip columns,it appears that this rumour has more
    substance than all the others we have seen this week.I have a feeling that the player
    will want a move.but am not sure about Crouch.
    But lets face it for us,one of the 3 players they are trying to offload,could in the eyes of
    the management be a good deal if supplemented by say an additional 4/6 million.

17. Captain Morgan

I agree, but I also remember when McBride left the old 606 board was full of people complaining that Zamora wasn't half the player McBride was. I suspect that both of them are the kind of player who's value to a team isn't easily seen until you are watching them week in, week out. If it does come true (and I still don't think it will) we should give Crouch the chance to show what he can do.

18. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I agree, Capt. Players come and go, and while I'm a huge fan of BZ, the important thing is that we always have someone who plays that target man position for us.

Anyone heard from Rocky lately?

19. Cottager58

Well his Agent, Bill Smith of Base Soccer is certainly putting it about.

Incidently other Fulham players (past and present) signed up to Base Soccer are -

Konchelsky
    Pantsil
    Etuhu
    Sidwell
    A Johnson

20. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

If the offer is £10m + Crouch for Bobby that would be hard to turn down if the money went straight back into strengthening the squad.