1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youths in the first team

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by BCR, Aug 19, 2013.

?

Which of the four main youth players will have a breakout year?

1. Ibe

2. Sterling

3. Wisdom

4. Kelly

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Who will have the breakout year? Why will they have it over all of the others?

EDIT: For me it is Ibe, he has not just the pace a winger needs, but he has the power to go along with it. I think once he starts to understand how to move the ball around better, adding this to his ability to take a player on, he will start seeing more time. Also would like to see him improve on his finishing and chance creation as well.

2. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

Wisdom for me. Looking less and less likely that we're going to get a CB in, so I can see Wisdom becoming a very important player for us this season and he will have to step up to the plate. I think Ibe and Sterling both need to go out on loan and get constant first team games

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think Sterling and Ibe will get game time this season with us, I don't think they will play all the time but sub appearances and games like the Notts County gone that is coming up.

4. Wisdom; because we have plenty of options in the attacking roles which will limit the game time that Sterling and Ibe receive but lack defensive options. IMO, Wisdom is third choice behind Agger and Toure <ok>

5. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Kelly is no longer a youth player. He is the same age as Henderson, Allen and Sturridge. He has also been in the team for a good few years, but has struggled with injuries.

I'll vote Wisdom. With us not signing a center back places are up for grabs.

6. Fair point on Kelly and he is very much part of the first team squad (as are Wisdom and Stelring now) but he still needs to break into the first team (same). the odd one out is Ibe who has only just made the step up from reserves to first team squad.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

This.

Funny how Sterling hasn't got a vote yet. A year ago we would have said him!

8. I don't rate Sterling as highly as others. I see Raheem in similar light to Michael Owen and Theo Walcott (not bad company in footballing terms <laugh>); lots of pace but struggles with the rest of his game and will be ****all when he loses said pace.

9. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

I went for Sterling. I remember in Kenny's last season, he came on for the odd 10 minutes here and there and crowd warmed to him and loved him, he was a shining light in the early part of last season, he got burnt out and now he seems to have dropped down in fans estimation. He's come back refreshed with a full pre-season behind him, and with more depth in his position so he won't be heavily relied on.

Ibe is a good prospect but Sterling is further ahead as of right now, more tactically aware and clever on the ball. Yes Ibe is a more physical winger but why should that make him the better player?

10. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Kelly was awesome at the start of last season. Enrique was also injured. But then Kelly got injured, Enrique came in and established himself. Johnson has been established for years of course.

11. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

It doesn't and it shouldn't but I do feel that is something lacking in the current LFC side. Not saying we need behemoths but you do need to have a few players who are strong and can add a bit of physicality to your team. I just think Ibe is much more level headed than Sterling as well and in 5 years, Sterling will be off somewhere after he continues to get in trouble and Ibe will be in the side.

12. It doesn't, what makes him a better player is actually being a better player!

Sterling is ahead of Ibe ATM but I'd put that purely down to age.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

right now sterling is in pole position for a start.

I think ibe has more potential as he's more physically built but he's even younger.

Wisdom has a big job to get a game over johnson

Kelly is 23 and not a youth people need to stop putting this uy in that group.

17, 18, 20 and a 23 year old... doesn't add up.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Break out year then, don't look at the ages.

15. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Is there a poll on this thread? Can't see on the app.

16. Yes!

#lazy

17. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

Well since Sterling and Kelly have already had their breakout years, and Wisdom to a lesser intent, only really leaves Ibe to stake a claim to a regular first team place.

18. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Ibe seems to have more strength to be able to cope with the demands of the Premiership better than Sterling. Not that it makes him a better player, or that he'll perform any better just that he can hold his own against full backs.

Depending on who we sign in the remainder of the window will have some bearing. If no other defenders then Kelly & Wisdom will have big parts to play, particularly at RB if Johnson ever gets injured. Can't see Ibe making too many appearences, maybe 10 or so with most being from the bench.

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Breakout years? No chance! THey have shown flashes or being able to cope with the demands of being a top player for LFC but have not done it over a full season aka over a year!