1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Development or Glory?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 28, 2016.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City: Will it be youth over loans and development over result ahead of Huddersfield clash?
    a_stockhausen

please log in to view this image

LEE Johnson's team selection for this Saturday's final home game of the Sky Bet Championship season is cause for conjecture among Bristol City fans.
    With the Robins safe from the threat of relegation and little to play for other than league position and pride, those who pay at the turnstiles are prepared to speculate on the identity of the eleven men who will take to the field against Huddersfield Town.

Injury and suspension will force City's head coach into making a minimum three changes to his starting line-up. But which players will he call upon to replace Adam Matthews (hamstring strain), Aden Flint (twisted knee) and Korey Smith (three-match ban)?

While those who believe City should go all out to win their final two games and finish as high as possible argue that loan signings Alex Pearce, Nathan Baker, Lee Tomlin and Peter Odemwingie should play, others believe the club's latest crop of Academy products ought to be given a chance to show what they can do.
    Now is the perfect opportunity, so the argument goes, for the likes of Max O'Leary and Zak Vyner to be restored to the first team and for Joe Morrell to be promoted to the substitutes' bench.

As always, the final decision will rest with the head coach and, on this occasion, Johnson has plenty of food for thought.
    He has to weigh the short-term need for results against the long-term requirement of developing young players from the Academy and Under-21 set-ups. A compelling case can be made for either point of view..
    If winning the final two games, finishing as high in the table as they possibly can and carrying forward momentum into next season is considered a priority, then Johnson will make a choose from senior players Mark Little, pictured below, Luke Ayling, Alex Pearce and Derrick Williams to replace the stricken Matthews and Flint.

Alternatively, should he feel it more beneficial to give valuable experience to emerging players, then there is a valid case for accommodating Vyner in the back four and even for selecting teenage goalkeeper Max O'Leary ahead of first-choice Richard O'Donnell.
    Vyner made an excellent first impression on the occasion of his senior debut in February, featuring in a crucial 2-0 victory at MK Dons. As is so often the case with young players finding their way, he took a step backwards three days later, enduring a difficult game as Brighton won 4-0 at Ashton Gate.
    But there is no questioning the teenager's rich potential and many City fans feel now is the time to put him back into the first team.
    Handed a debut as a second-half substitute in an FA Cup third round tie against West Brom at The Hawthorns in January, O'Leary was selected to start in the replay and, even though City lost 1-0, he did nothing wrong and emerged with his reputation enhanced.

Johnson has made no secret of his wish to loan the youngster out next season, but he could just as easily opt to throw him in now and see how he copes.
    No doubt a majority of Robins supporters would also welcome any decision to promote midfielder Morrell to the bench. Out of contract at the end of this season, the Academy product is desperate for an opportunity to impress the head coach and secure a new deal.
    So what would you, the fans, do? Youngsters or loans? If you were picking the team, which way would you go?

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-youth-loans-development-result-ahead/story-29187393-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

To be honest we are now safe, let's give the young guns a go and see what they are made of..

3. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I would like to see Odemwingie and Kodjia given a go together in a 4-4-2.

I would also like to see Joe Morrell and George Dowling given a small run.

The loan players who aren't gonna be here next year might as well go back.

4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I certainly think a sprinkling of our academy players should get some game time, though not too many at the same time. Not only would it benefit them to play against Championship level sides, but alongside first-teamers too, rather than the same guys they play with already in U21 matches...

5. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

If like to see us experiment with attractive attacking football. Would be nice to see youngsters play and get some experience, as said above would like to see us try 442 with odemwingie and Kodjia upfron5

6. banksyisourhero

I have been informed that George Dowling will indeed be at least on the bench today.. George is the grandson of a friend of mine who passed away some time ago, so I would like to wish him luck and hope he gets a run.

RedorDead likes this.
  7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

whatever the answer it all needs to be sorted by the end of the transfer window ...

8. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

What will be the team at QPR. Same mix as against Huddersfield?
    Or more Young Ones?

9. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Vyner had a good first game but the poor lads confidence must have been shattered against Brighton. He still looked nervous when he came on and must have been relieved at the end. Hope it has done him good getting part of a game like that. Dowling looked to me that he could be a real prospect and I hadn't realised he was so young. I would give him a go against QPR.

Youth is all well and good as long as they are ready and if so must be used. Famous words spoken by motty, Remember the name.. Wayne Rooney..(after this 16 year old lad hit a screamer past David Seaman) and then rode home on his pushbike. Imagine if he hadn't ever been given a proper chance.

10. banksyisourhero

I reckon he'll want to win this one.. kids on the bench, first half first choice.

What will be telling on Saturday is who is left out of the squad.

11. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Go along with your reckoning about starting. Yes it will be interesting to see who is left out. I don't think he will risk Matthews or Flint. Williams hasn't featured much lately,nor Ayling. Wagstaff I know is out of contract, not sure about anyone else or not.

12. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

LJ will have in his mind that a win for us and some bad results elsewhere could see us finish as high as 15th, so I expect we may see perhaps 1 youngster at most in the starting 11, but more likely to see 2 or 3 come off the bench depending on how the day and other results are panning out.