1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Watford's greatest Signing..

Discussion in 'Watford' started by OxheyWFC, Jan 18, 2012.

1. OxheyWFC

OxheyWFC Member

Listening to Talk Sport this afternoon, the presenters were talking about who they thought were the greatest signings that there team had bought. This got me thinking as to who I thought was Watford's greatest signing in my time in watching the Horns......John Barnes?....Luther Missit?....Tony Cotton?.....Paul Furlong.... I could go on, but my greatest signing would have to be John McClelland..Still one of the best defenders Watford ever had IMO! Strong, fast and worked his socks off for the course!!!!
    Whats is your greatest Watford Signing, and why??????

2. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Did they have to be signed from another club or could they have also come through our ranks?

3. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

If the player doesn't have to be the best that has played for us I would argue that Steve Sims was the best signing. We were in Division Three and he was an England B player who was bought for a record fee. His signing alone showed that Watford were serious about improving but he was also very good.

4. Goldentrue

Goldentrue Active Member

I agree with John McClelland. Best player Watford have ever had, and so good to have watched him play.
    There are so many you could choose as well, but although he was on of our most expensive signings, Allan Nielson was also a great player to have. Covered every blade of grass and fully deserved what was probably the best send off I have ever seen for a player at Watford. The ground chanting his name for what must have been a solid 10 mins non stop.

5. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree that John McClelland is certainly up there! To manage to sign him from Rangers was a real coup! I'd also put up a couple of players like Coton and Mooney!

For me though, for what he did for the team, is Alec Chamberlain! Important in our successive promotions... that all important Birmingham save, and the shoot-out penalty! With us for 10/11 seasons, and still with us!

andytoprankin likes this.
  6. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Are we counting academy players? I personally know someone who played a small number of games for the club, and am pretty sure that he would answer "me".

The definitive answer is Cliff Holton, but he's a little bit before my time. I'll put Tommy Smith forward as a modern contender though, because without him in his last full season I'm pretty sure we'd have gone down.

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It has to be Cliff Holton. He was a first division player who dropped down to the fourth division, and organized the team into winning promotion. He scored in one season a number of goals that will never be surpassed. Quite confident on that statement. He brought the buzz back into the fans with his shooting ability and that was with a football rather than a balloon. ;)

8. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

A bit of a cheat...but GrahamTaylor?

9. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

I agree with John McClelland. Pure class.

10. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

For me, McClelland or Bolton (12.5k) and both CB's!
    Barnes was signed from non-league so that counts too.
    Many from that era could qualify but non from the current era I'm afraid although 1 or 2 are ok.

11. tworossjenkins

Fat Reg from Pinner?

12. Lloydinio

Lloydinio Well-Known Member

Since I've only been supporting Watford since 2006, I would say that Danny Graham was the best signing. or maybe resigning tommy smith. This season's best signing is either Yeates or Hogg.

13. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I would agree with those who say Macker.

Using what Chris said about non-league, Kevin Phillips was signed from Baldock Town and hasn't done too badly in his pro career. :)

14. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Tommy Mooney and Alec Chamberlain are modern day (well still over 15 years ago) bargains when you considering the endless waste of money players we've had since.

H was only 1.5 million too.

15. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

And when we sold him for the second time, we were given as part of the deal a certain Stewart Scullion. He brought back the buzz that had left when Big Cliff departed the first time - a buzz that remained for a good few years. He's my choice, equal of course, to Ian Bolton who was as excellent in defence as Scully was in attack.

16. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Im going to cheat a bit (and as ive only been a regular for 12-14 years) id say the combined signings of spring, carlisle, malky, king on loan which yielded about 2000% on the initialninvestment