1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your views...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jul 24, 2011.

1. brb

brb Guest

on what makes a good thread?

Some of us sometimes (including me) write war and peace when creating a thread to express a view, however, others tend to keep it simple and to the point.

IMO there is no right or wrong in what format you choose, I believe it is the response you get to a thread and people's own self moderation during it that counts.

I give the following thread as an example...http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/68531-Gills-Captain-2011-2012?p=883697#post883697

A straight forward enough thread but what I like about it, is that the first nine posts (including the author) are all by different contributors. No arguing just everyone being allowed to express their own opinions. Yes posters may come back and debate/agree/disagree with some of the responses, however, what a fantastic advert for not606 and the members of the Gills board.

Your views please, also one final question, I made it a sticky thread, what types of threads do you believe deserve that status?

thanks
    brb

2. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

The captain thread is great as it shows many peoples different opinions, it is one of the best to show what everyone thinks and how other people think differently, These are the best type of threads as they show a number of opinions and also show the reasons for what they are thinking.

3. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

First time using the apple app so bear with me.

I will admit to being guilty of war and peace. :p well some of the time. I do like the fact that, in general, we all put are views across and there's no pettiness and name calling between fellow Gills fans. Even our guests from other teams are courteous which is nice. Back to the question though a good thread is one that gets people talking. Whatever the subject matter. Threads that promote ideas, make us recall memories and encourage debate and the best ones. But I'm always happy to read people's view on any subject. As long as there is a point to it it's a good thread. Oh here I go war and peace again. Sorry

UTG

4. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I know I can get on peoples nerves sometimes but that is just me and in football when showing opinion there is always going to be some people which don't like others.

5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

A good thread------one that generates a wide response.

A Sticky thread----one that goes beyond the immediate time. (blues rock cafe, prediction league)

6. Carras_Prodigy

in my opinion, you cant really debate a thread which only consists of a few lines. a good thread is probably somewhere between 6-10 lines in length (although not saying longer, article-threads arent good!) because very often 2 or 3 points of contention or information are put forward for people to discuss, not just 1.

you cant really put forward a good opinion on a thread which is a few lines long because in all likelihood, the topic will be put forward in a narrow way, and the first person to post might exhaust all debate.

as for sticky threads, any which will carry on going for foreseeable (spelt right? it looks wrong) future, as grumpy says - the cafe and prediction league threads.

however, i think it is also worth adding threads which concern the biggest story about the gills at that time. for example, in chronological order: gills lack of signings (scally out), gills subsequent 7 new players (well done scally), the adam birchall injury (we all saw this coming), and the captain issue (i love jack payne)

this way, we dont have to look for the best article (undoubtedly there will be a few, at least before they get merged) on the weeks hot topic when we get onto the board

apologies. i'll try not to make it this long again. hopefully my next one will be at least as short as Wuthering Heights, although i may stray into the realm of Tolstoy-lengthed comments occasionally...

7. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

An interesting and difficult subject brb. Your example makes the point well with a good discussion from nine different contributors but it also illustrates how the thread dies when one person takes over the debate. Your dilemma is to balance the intention of embracing a wide diversity of opinions against the need to make sure one or two loudmouths do not dominate. I think you can only promote self moderation. In just the same way as a good discussion takes place at the dinner table or down the pub by a certain amount of self discipline, the same principals should apply here-it is often just good manners anyway. Suggestions;
    -anyone starting a thread should leave six or so responses from others before re-entering the discussion.
    -new entrants to a discussion should be treated with particular respect
    -before contributing a respondent should ask what contribution am I making (hopefully it will be to provide new information, new opinion,or humour) if there is no contribution do not post.
    -if disagreeing with someone else wait 5 mins to reflect on your contribution. Too hasty and you will not make the point.

Not606 could also help. Showing the number of posts of an individual is counter productive to good debate. Some people obviously see this as a competition to achieve a high number which is unhelpful and encourages the expression of non-opinion which is just boring. At least the discerning not606ers are learning to ignore the worst culprits. Also it would be good to restrict the Gills Board to football and Gills (no music,no Formula 1,sadly no cricket,) there are other places for these.
    Finally on your sticky threads point i always think subjects of news/fact are not sticky but opinions are. However it is often down to judgement of the author to get it right.

8. Carras_Prodigy

not exactly subtle bristol, but i think you got away with it! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. brb

brb Guest

bristol is about as subtle as cracking a nut with a sledge hammer <laugh>

10. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

All meant to encourage listening to everyone who has an opinion rather than a just a few and to raise quality of contributions rather than quantity. It might be working! I now intend to moderate myself for hogging this thread.