1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Thoughts on Raikonnen's return

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Goldeneye175, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Goldeneye175

Goldeneye175 Active Member

7th pretty impressive...considering 17th on the grid, 2 years out, so-called "race rustiness" - seriously still think that?

Now bring on the next GP, and with better qualifying in the top 10, who knows what could happen?

Funniest moment, "why are there blue flags?" comedy gold

You doubters can make excuses all you want, but undeniably The Iceman is back and fast as ever <bubbly><magic><cracker>

6 World Championship Points on his 1st race back...ominous signs

2. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

After a bad quali his race performance was very impressive. It will be interesting to see what he can do when starting further up the grid.

3. McFerrari

McFerrari Member

Thought Kimi was excellent today. Very impressive considering he's been out of the sport for two full seasons. I think there is still room for improvement as ever but today was a good day for him. He won't win the championship though. That's slightly delusional.

4. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

It was an impressive return. A poor weekend for the team from which he salvaged something. I hope they can mount a more sustained development campaign than last year.

5. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Grosjeans retirement robbed us of a fair comparison.

6. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

This. He also profited from the Rosberg/Perez collision near the end of the race. Impressive pace in the middle of the race showed us just what he can do, mind.

7. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

I think there definitely should have been an investigation into that and Maldonado should have been penalised. Grosjean left him room and yet Maldonado made no effort to avoid him. He should have been penalised for ruining another driver's race.

8. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Racing incident, Maldonado flicked him ever so slightly.

Just one thought that occurs to me about Raikkonen, how many people did he manage to get past on account of the first corner incident? Senna and Ricciardo both had to pit, couple of cars went on the grass... I know for a fact that that's one reason Perez gained so many places.

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Solid performance but I felt he drifted out of alittle after the saftey car, seemed to break his rythm a lttle bit. Good start, but based on the non finishers he could well have been out of the points today. Like above, hope he gets a good top ten quali next race and brings home another decent haul of points.

10. chrispa76

chrispa76 Member

This

11. TheModestMatt

TheModestMatt Member

Solid comeback, though he sounded pumped on the radio instead of his usual relaxed voice, clearly enjoying himself.

12. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

It's difficult to say how good he was. He didn't make any major mistakes and he didn't look hopelessly off the pace like Schumacher did several times in 2010, but if the car was as good as it was in qualifying, Raikkonen should have moved up the grid a bit quicker. He finished 7th only because of last lap problems for Maldonado, Perez and Rosberg. Whereas Perez was in 7th having started from 22nd.

Hopefully in Malaysia we can get a direct comparison between Grosjean and Raikkonen.

13. chrispa76

chrispa76 Member

As a huge fan of him I was frenetically watching his lap times during the race and more often than not was he lapping faster than those at the front up until the safety car. I suspect he didn't manage to keep the heat in the tyres during the SC laps as well as other people.

14. shifty

shifty Member

The guy's still got it, I reckon we can look forward to some great performances from him this season. Solid race from 17th today, lets's hope for better qualifying in Malaysia.

15. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

The Iceman Cometh Again!

16. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I'd say he was a bit rusty but I fully expect him to improve over the season. Good race for him.

Anybody else think that Grosjean's car seemed to break very easily?

17. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

A pretty decent bit of racing from Räikkönen. However, perhaps this would have looked slightly less impressive had Grosjean not fallen out so soon. A better 'come-back' than that other bloke but he needs to up his qualifying game quickly.

18. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

he seemed to carve his way thorugh the pack quite well, making some nice moves, he seemed to get batter as the race wore on then eemed to settle for a points finish, but as many have said, hard to say without comparison to his team-mate, who is almost a rookie.

19. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Looked good in the race, hopefully will avoid his quali calamity next race so we can get a truer picture of where he is.

More impressive so far than the pensioner who came back a few years ago.

20. Basil_Brushzenberger

I enjoyed watching Raikkonen today. He certainly made some nice moves as he made his way through the field. I imagine that two years in rallying softened his opinions of F1 somewhat. Is his head in the right place? What about his love life and the people he surrounds himself with? All these things are important for all the really good F1 drivers, rather than those who simply get in the car and drive without moaning like a 12 year old girl.