1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your starting 11 for the weekend ... If i'm not right my dad will be.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Loft14, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Loft14

Loft14 Member

Flitney

Fish Lawrence Frampton Martin

Nouble Whelpdale Lee Rooney

Kedwell Kuffour​

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Welcome - son ! x - but you know what I currently think about Fish.

3. Loft14

Loft14 Member

Who else can play there though? Maybe get Richard Rose on loan or Sean Clohessy.

4. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

Fish seems to me to have done remarkably well. He was playing Blue Square South last season, he only made his league debut six weeks ago and he is only a bit older than the child Rooney who everyone seemed to make excuses for when he had played a handful of games. Not surprisingly Fish has made a few errors but he has shown genuine pace (a rare commodity in this Gills squad) and he has looked skilful on the ball. Unfortunately for him his arrival in the team has coincided with the loss of much of the defensive capability in midfield which has left the back four unusually exposed, not the best combination of events for a youngster getting his initial experiences at league 2 level.
    If Fish maintains reasonable progress over the next couple of months there will be no way back for Fuller.

5. alwaysright

2nd post and already winding me up ! To answer your question - I believe that Jack Payne is a better RB than Fish or Fuller - unfortunately I would prefer Jack in midfield rather than RB. We have certainly noticed his absence. When he returns maybe we will be able to cope with a RB of the calibre of Fish or Fuller.

6. alwaysright

I hate to be critical of the team I love - that's why I have held back to a large degree. I have voiced the same opinion as many others that the whole team are underachieving in relation to their talents. I undestand what you say about coincidences of poor performances / results since Fish has had a run in the team - but his performances in the last two games ( and at AFC W) has been very poor - especially at Swindon - he gave the ball away so many times I thought he had signed for them. I know he is fairly young and new to league football ( that's why I have been ' quiet ' up to now ) - I hope that he can very quickly learn to adapt and have a successful career with the Gills through L2, L1 and beyond.

7. brb

brb Guest

Ok everyone, help me out here...back four ok, yes Fish is allowed his mistakes. Can we not put Nouble on the left in front of Martin?

Is Jack Payne fit now, put him back in midfield, so he can replace Nouble on the right. Ah! now for Rooney...erm drop Lee, have 3 in midfield, put Rooney in a free role behind Kedwell and Kuffour, go on just humour me...please. No?? Ok, well I have all ways said I'm no tactician! :emoticon-0112-wonde

ps. Welcome to the mad house 'dad is always right' <ok>

8. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

not sure about moving whelpdale inside, tbh i can see jackman being promoted to cm with martin filling in at left back, then your not gonna drop nouble or kuffour so if kedwell is to come back in the nouble is gonna drop to right mid. as for the cbs which pairing he goes for is anyones guess, although it could depend on how rapid the wingers are for northampton as if they are as slow as frampton then maybe hell get the nod at left back and the other 2 will play. to many decisions!!

flitney

fish, richards, frampton, martin

nouble (although pushing on to make 3 up top), jackman, lee, rooney

kedwell, kuffour

9. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

The problem with this exercise is that people seem to think that selecting the best 11 players results in the best team. This rarely happens. I would suggest that selecting Nouble Whelpdale, Lee and Rooney will result in the defence leaking goals even though these four are accomplished players. Conceding goals would not be the fault of the back 4 but plenty of people who do not understand football will give then the blame. Introducing Jackman to midfield probably produces a more balanced team, it would be even better balanced if Montrose was available.