1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Classic Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Kyle?, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Every race, the beeb gets a driver to pick their 5 favourite races. To my knowledge, nobody has done a thread yet asking the members of this forum to reveal their 5 favourite races. Just list your 5 fave's, and the reason why you like them. Heres mine. Bear in mind that a few of these races were before i was born. I'm so boring that i went back, and watched videos and used the internet in the last few years. For example, the first time i saw the 83 us gp was last year.

2008 Brazillian GP - Forget the outcome, what a great race. A perfect drive by Felipe Massa (his last great drive, so far), looked like he could deal with anything. A champion's drive in my view (remember, if not for the hungarian engine failure, he would have been 2008 world champion, not Lewis Hamilton). Action, cliffhanger moments, and emerging talent such as Sebastian Vettel and Timo Glock made this a great race.

1983 US GP West - John watson started 22nd, and somehow won the race, with team mate Lauda (who had started 3rd) coming second. There were incidents galore, and a strange outcome. Whats not to love? And this was before McLaren got the fearsome TAG turbo engines.

1996 Spanish GP - A true masterclass by the Rainmeister himself, Michael Schumacher. At one stage he was 5 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else. Won by about 50 seconds, due to a poor strategy (it should have been far more than 50 seconds.)

2008 Italian GP - The last time the minnows upset the big boys. In the age of the manufacturer, it is highly unlikely a mid-field team will win again. A brilliant drive by some young german bloke, made Heikki Kovalainen look like an amatuer at the front of the race, whilst in the pack, there was a touch of argy bargy involving messrs raikkonen and hamilton, poor strategy calls by some teams, and other teams being suprisingly slow

1989 Japanese GP - The race to end all races. The two greatest drivers of all time, in equal machinery, sliugging it out on and off track, to try and assert their dominance. So you could see it would end in tears before the race even started. We all know the story, senna had to win to keep his title hopes alive, prost needed to win to secure the title. And it did end in tears. We know that story. What put this as my favourite race, is the podium (after senna had been disqualified). Can you say odd? Nannini winning his only race, Patrese second, with williams team mate Boutsen 3rd. And a year later, history would repeat itself for Senna and Prost, this time with Senna the Victor.

Thats my top 5. I'm limited by age, i'm sure there were great races in the 70's, but my favourite era was the late 80's-Late 90's.

2. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

2000 Belgian GP
    2005 Japanese GP
    2006 British GP
    2006 Hungarian GP
    2007 European GP

3. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Hey forza, i just messaged you saying i will happily trade.

4. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

I am crap at listing my favourite stuff I always have too many.

5. McFerrari

McFerrari Member

My personal top 5? From the last 11 years

2001 - Germany (Ralf winning on home soil)
    2003 - Austria (Schumacher winning after a hot pitstop)
    2006 - China (Schumi winning in mostly wet conditions despite the Bridgestone wet tyres being a second and a half slower than Michelin)
    2008 - Britain (Immense drive by Hamilton)
    2011 - Canada - (30 odd laps behind the safety car and a two hour delay - but when it got going it was unforgettable. Thank you Jenson!)