1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic You have been watching... (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2018.

1. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I thought it might be interesting to share films or TV programmes that we are enjoying, have recently seen or would otherwise recommend. It could be ‘favourite’ film ever or ‘best’ film ever, or maybe just the best film/TV you’ve seen this year. Or you could discuss your favourite 1970s TV drama. Do you have what I call a ‘comfort film’ (one you know isn’t the best, but you can watch it over and over)?

PLEASE NO SPOILERS (giving away the plot).

Deleted....... and Hornet-Fez like this.
  2. andytoprankin

I’ll kick off. I differentiated ‘best’ and ‘favourite’ in the original post because, whilst I recognise ‘Citizen Kane’ as a masterpiece, a film that sent shockwaves through the film industry for decades after, that includes an extraordinary performance from Orson Welles (I think he was 25 <yikes>) playing someone through the course of their life, as well as being the ground-shattering director, it’s not my favourite. I love Graham Greene books, and his collaborations with the masterful Carol Reed from the late forties onwards are my favourites. The Third Man, The Fallen Idol, Our Man in Havana. Love ‘em to bits.
    I’ll post about TV later. :)

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Just watched the final episode of "Shetland" and thoroughly enjoyed it, I really hope that they commission a 5th season. <cheers>

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

shhh...... we are an episode behind!

canary-dave likes this.
  5. yorkshirehornet

I must admit to being a game of thrones fan (sorry).. I read all the books first after series one.... and love the detail. I have always enjoyed sc fi/fantasy

Also the fact that it is filmed in great locations

However IMO the series has gone on way too long and taxed my character remembering brain!

6. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Vera, Endeavour, Shetland...enjoyed all these. Comfort film is probably 'Casablanca'...though 'The Ladykillers' comes a close second.

Scullion and andytoprankin like this.
  7. yorkshirehornet

I thoroughly enjoyed the production of Brooklyn on the BBC on the weekend... a great period piece..

8. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

Loved the book so didn't watch it to avoid disappointment if it didn't match up!

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

With Saorise Ronan and Domhall Gleeson? Loved every minute of it... including the "will she / won't she?" tension. Not being an avid reader (unless it's the latest Building Regulations / planning requirements / on holiday) but a keen film and theatre fan, I didn't know the story. Beautifully adapted, I would say... especially "Lady MacBeth"<yikes> at the shop - every bit as malevolent as the great Bard's character.

10. Hornet-Fez

Absolutely agree with you about Citizen Kane, seen it once and I don't really need to see it again.

I was sat in front of the television at a young age by my Dad to watch the following films in order "to learn something":
    To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck and, trivia time, the debut of Robert Duvall. A terrific adaptation.
    Twelve Angry Men - brilliant single room ensemble.
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with the brilliant Spencer Tracey / Katherine Hepburn.
    Inherit the Wind - again the masterful Spencer Tracey.
    In the Heat of the Night - with the incomparable Sidney Poitier.

I was also allowed to stay up to watch Alf Garnett, even at that young age - I was starting primary school - I got the satire and the reasoning behind the script right off. As an aside, later in life when I was studying for my degree, I met Jack Smethurst (of the ITV offering Love Thy Neighbour) and had tea with his wife in their home in Chorleywood as I was researching a period home that they previously lived in. Lovely couple.

First film at the cinema: The Aristocats, I think.
    First grown up film at the cinema: Waterloo with Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer and half the Soviet army as extras.

Sorry, I could rabbit on all year....

andytoprankin likes this.

11. yorkshirehornet

ahh...... didnt realise there is a book... it was an excellent production

12. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I really have never been much of a film fan which shows up every time I get involved in a pub quiz. I get far more out of the theatre, where there is no chance of a retake. Back in the middle ages my Saturday followed a pattern. Collect girl friend who became Mme. Take her to the Vic for real education, tea at the Copper Kettle in Watford High Street, I doubt it is there now, and then to the Palace Theatre. At that time it was a rep company run by Jimmy Perry and his wife Gilda. Many of the actors who appeared went on to appear in the various TV series he wrote with David Croft. My great love is musical theatre, and one show I will never forget was Pickwick starring Harry Secombe. Still that was 1963, yet I still remember the songs and dancing.
    I used to go to Saturday morning pictures with the diet of cowboy films, cartoons etc, but never carried film going on. My father was a part time magician, I trod the boards a few times, and was a musician, part time. I think the tension you get from performing live is the real attraction for me.

Deleted....... and Hornet-Fez like this.
  13. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Just enjoyed the drama "Collateral" on BBC with Carey Mulligan that finished a couple of weeks ago.

OFH, I have to agree with the musical theatre - the list of West End shows I've seen is very lengthy considering that I've lived here nearly half of my life.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  14. Hornet-Fez

I was involved in many a school play... was "spotted" by a talent scout who approached my parents but, alas, my Dad, gave them short thrift and that was that. I recall he had some out of date attitudes (although he was hot on racism/anti-Semitism) that clouded his thinking (think Billy Elliott's Dad) on the prospect of me going to drama school. Unfortunately the way life panned out I never got the opportunity to get back into acting, followed the music instead. It is actually one of the few regrets in my life not following it up of my own accord. Too deaf and I'd not remember my lines nowadays <laugh>

15. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have seen Billy Elliot so know what you mean. :emoticon-0100-smile

Asked Mme what was the last film we went to see. She thinks it could have been Pete's Dragon that we took the kids to see on a very wet day in Ilfracombe when we were on holiday in 1977.

Deleted....... likes this.
  16. Hornet-Fez

Regular visitor to the Waterside Theatre in Aylesbury. Truly a world class venue! Absolutely love it. Mrs H-F and I go regularly as she's a massive (cue the football clichés) fan of theatre and performance art. Strangers on a Train on Friday; Rambert (contemporary dance) last week; Al Murray doing a WW1 "Trench Humour" talk in the smaller theatre... I've seen pretty much everything there from Julian Lloyd Webber to Bullet for my Valentine; Curious Incident... to Hairspray; Oh what a Lovely War to East is East. Absolutely love it!! Only the Bard is missing. And an opera.

17. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

Fine novel, very much worth reading...by Colm Toibin.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  18. andytoprankin

Wonderful, Fez. Agree with all you say. Used to know the Smethursts’ son years ago. Good lad. Like the addition of first film at the cinema.. <ok>
    Your choice of films is impeccable, IMHO.

Hornet-Fez and canary-dave like this.
  19. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I am watching Shetland also. Frá has discovered Australian television series A Place To Call Home and so we have not seen the last chapter of Shetland.

I did not know the agricultural Australian women were so pretty. I must go there.

20. yorkshirehornet

I would always recommend 12 angry men as a classic study of group psychology... And yes a superb film... On my list of top films

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

: Films, Television