1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yedlin

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Nads, May 8, 2016.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Just wondering what people's thoughts on him are now.

We all agreed he was all show with little ability early doors, quick and willing but ****, now I think the lad has come in a treat under Sam, yeah there's work needed still but he's becoming an influence.

He puts the graft in every week, and for me he's looking like a decent defender could be developed as well as an always open attacking threat who likes the ball.

I'd try and keep him based on last 6-8 weeks, anyone else's input?

Nacho likes this.
  2. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I still think he's the weak link in our back 4 although he has improved drastically this season. I would prefer to sign a genuine proven RB ahead of him or Jones like.

3. safcrocket

safcrocket Active Member

I thought he set up Chelsea's first goal, and didn't exactly cover himself in glory for their second goal.

Going forward he has speed, but no real idea of what he's going to do.

The positives for me are, he has speed and he works hard.

In the main, I'd like to see him let go, and find somebody better. He has done well in the circumstances though, and I'm thankful for his contribution.

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Fair comment be nice to have a fully formed lad in there but for me the improvement is vast and he seems bought into the club, in fact don't they all right now?

That's great to see, they all care, Defoe was close to tears on MOTD man, people questioned his commitment at points but **** me he's been immense.

Makemstine Roger and The Relic like this.
  5. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agree @Nads . Think he's a far better player than he was 6 months ago. The improvement will likely be through regular game time in a settled team along with Sam and the coaching team. I'd have him personally. Was pivotal a couple of times yesterday with his pace. Would beat most in a foot race I reckon. Still needs work but is a massive improvement.

The Relic likes this.
  6. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Now that i agree with. If not for him we would have been down before Villa were for sure. Finally after years of dross, we now have a genuine goal scorer and imagine what he would be like in a decent team? which hopefully BSA will give us next season.

7. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

I'd happily keep him, he's still raw moving forward but his pace and his willingness means he can definitely adapt to an attacking game. Is their an option to sign him nads? We all know levy can be an over inflated prick.

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I did think this one would divide opinion mate!

I see all of that but I'd say he's improved 4 fold since January and who knows where it ends.

He's young and the prime example of a wing back with pace who looked a bit suspect is one Gareth Bale. Can I just say I am not suggesting a realistic comparison between the 2 of course!

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I don't think there's an option mate but the have Walker who's been superb this year and a very good back up in Trippier. Likely available if we chose.

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Yedin scares the **** out of me.

Its like Jekyll and Hyde.

When he has to defend, its like Brian Johnson trying to sing a Whitney song. Its gonna go tits up.

But he's pretty good at going forward.

Makemstine Roger, Smiffy and Nads like this.

11. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

He's young enough to learn, and certainly has enough raw talent to make it as a proper wing-back. He puts himself about, tracks back and gets into useful positions. more composure on the ball, and off it (positionally) + more confidence in attack and he could be reet.

If Sam can crack that, and Paddy, we could be a solid defensive force next season, with the ability to convert defense into attack very quickly.

Yeti and Paddy have been our achiles heels this season, without a doubt. The experience will stand them both in good stead, but I want us to bring in very capable full-backs to compete.

Those 2, a quality attacking midfielder/playmaker and another striker and we'll have the best squad going since fattyface. And a more stable squad, with a few bits of dead-wood shifted on, which is even better.

Aussie blackcat85 and Nads like this.
  12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Great and fair post mate. PVA has had some woeful and some wonderful moments, I'm still in the 'potentially super winger' camp on him, but there's been little snippets of him learning. And I mean little snippets...

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Best analogy ever!!!

14. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

Spot on mate, agree with nads too that the young fella is worth a punt!

15. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

if there's a manager capable of turning these two rough diamonds into EPL-quality wingbacks, I think we have him.

Interestingly we face Everton next, with - for me - one of the best wing-back pairings in the league on their day in Baines and Coleman. I hope they're a bag of ****e on Wednesday though.. don't need those ****ers turning up.

Nads likes this.
  16. Smiffy

Smiffy Active Member

I would love to see us go after Coleman in the summer, but wouldn't mind also taking a punt on Yedlin. Leicester have proved what sheer pace can do to good teams in the Premier League. Against some I could see Yedlin being used as a winger rather than a wing back.

17. ImissedShack

ImissedShack Active Member

Do you mean Boris Johnson?

18. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, I would want better. I would LOVE us to go after Serge Aurier. He's done at PSG, yes he's a level above us but with the amount of money Prem clubs get next season, you never know, he could be tempted if we get in quick and really sell ourselves... has to be worth a punt surely?

Having said that (and knowing Aurier is realistically very unlikely), I think we could do a lot worse than Yedlin. Spurs have two decent fullbacks ahead of him so he would probably be available, he's young and improving all the time. Obviously there is an element of risk because if he stays at the level he's at now I still think he's barely Prem standard - woeful defensively at times, and his decision making and delivery in the final third is still very hit-and-miss. However, his improvement has been immense under Sam and there's no reason that shouldn't continue. Also the lad is ****ing RAPID.

I'd be happy enough if we paid £3-4m for him, any more than that and I'd think we should probably be looking elsewhere.

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd take Yedlin on permanently based on his performances in recent weeks. It seems that Sam has a great effect on these young players of ours who looked crap at the start of the season and are now vastly improved. As long as he continues to improve then someone with his natural pace could be invaluable, he's done a few decent crosses too I think he has that in his locker.

In fact after the game yesterday I was thinking I wouldn't mind if that first eleven starts next season but with some quality young players waiting in the wings.

The Relic and Nads like this.
  20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aurier would be a dream mate, I wonder if Kone is his pal?