1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yaya - Club or Country

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Father_Jack_Hackett, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Father_Jack_Hackett

Father_Jack_Hackett New Member

The conflict between club and country is a long-running difficulty for professional footballers and it seems Yaya Toure is the latest to consider how to resolve it.

It won't help that his Africa Cup of Nations challenge ended in a penalty shoot-out defeat at the final hurdle, but the 28-year-old midfielder - Africa's Footballer of the Year - is wrestling with the problem.

As goal.com puts it: "Midfielder Yaya Toure has revealed that he is contemplating his future with Ivory Coast.

"With the tournament set to be played again next January, the player says he is unsure whether or not he would like to continue representing his country."

They attribute their quotes to Simon Mullock's Sunday Mirror story: "We will see whether I carry on. I love playing for Ivory Coast so it is not an easy thing to think about.

“Maybe if we had won against Zambia things would have been easier for me. The disappointment is big at the moment so I will wait until I have a clear mind before deciding what to do.

“But a decision about playing for Ivory Coast has to be made. I will take my time and think about things, about what I will do.”

Yaya adds that the defeat in Gabon has made him more determined to lift the title: "I did my duty, but I didn’t like being away from my City at such an important stage of the season.

“When I left we were in the two cups. When I came back we were out. I am happy that we are still first in the Premier League. That’s the most important thing, the aim is to stay there.”

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/551124249?-1808

2. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

I like the "my city" comment

3. Haydn

Haydn Member

The easy thing to do would be to move the ACON to odd years in the summer (which is what I think they're doing anyway) but not in a few years but now. There's no need for it to be during the season and if it wasn't then Yaya wouldn't be in this position.

Although if he did quit international football there would be no complaints from me.

4. 1905

1905 Member

you've certainly been missing him, as has silva!