1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wycombe Wanderes V PNE

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Sep 26, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Northenders.

Tomorrow night PNE once again go on their travels seeking to extend their unbeaten run of consecutive wins in the League. On this occasion the opposition are Wycombe Wanderers. Of course Northenders know all about Wycombe and will vividly recall the defeat they inflicted on the Lilywhites in 1994 at Wembley in the 1993/1994 Div 2 playoff final winning 4-2.

Wycombe Wanderers are a Buckinghamshire club who represent the Town of High Wycombe, and are one with a proud history. The chairboys or Blues as they are nicknamed play at Adams Park at High Wycombe. The team play in Oxford and Cambridge Blue quarters and The club was awarded the Family Club of the Year Award twice in a row in 2006–07 and 2007–08. This is the first and only time that the award has been given to the same club in consecutive seasons.

The club was founded 1887 by a group of young furniture trade workers hence the nickname "Chairboys". The exact details of the formation of Wycombe Wanderers F.C. has largely been lost to history. A group of young lads started a team to play matches in 1884. This team was called North Town Wanderers.

In 1887, a meeting held at the Steam Engine Public House in Station Road, High Wycombe saw the formation of Wycombe Wanderers F.C. It is highly likely the club was named Wanderers after the famous Wanderers, winners of the first F.A. Cup in 1872.

The club moved to Loakes Park in 1895 which become it's home for the next 95 years. In 1908 the club declined the invitation offer to retain their membership of the Southern League, and decided to pursue Amateur instead of professional football.
    For over sixty years the Wanderers sought to be the greatest amateur club in the country. One of the clubs' greatest achievements came in April 1931 when the F.A. Amateur Cup was won for the first and only time. The Chairboys are famous as an amateur club and held in high esteem in the Amateur game having won several top league honours during their Amateur history.

The F.A. abolished Amateur football in 1974 which left the club without a sense of purpose and in decline. The club took some time to adapt to their new status as a semi professional club until Martin O'Neill was appointed manager in 1990. The club were promoted to the Football League in 1993 having become the Conference Champions by a distance. The first season in Div three saw them gain a second successive promotion courtesy of the playoff Final against PNE. Wycombe have had some outstanding wins since 1994 and reached the FA Cup Semi Final were they lost to Liverpool.

Wycombe were promoted last season from Div 2 and have so far this season not yet adjusted to the demands of Div 1 and are currently in 20th place in the League. It is still early in the season and things can change very quickly and Northend will have to be at their best when they play at Adams Park tomorrow. There have been many occasions over the years when the Chairboys have created an upset against the odds, and will be looking to do the same again. For PNE confidence will be high and will be taking the field looking to win all three points, and if they are at their best a win could be on the cards but anything less and they could get a nasty surprise.

So then what are your thoughts on this game and how do you see the game evolving, can PNE stretch their unbeaten run or can the Chairboys come of age and ruin PNE's good start to the season ????

Post your pre match and after match thoughts on this thread, of course Wycombe fans are welcombe to post their opinions as well.

For those wishing to learn more about Wycombe history follow the link below.

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/History/0,,10430~1076016,00.html

:)

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

We have a decent record at Adams Park, seem to remember beating them 1-0 and they had 3 players sent off in the same game.

Due to drop points in a game suspect a draw tomorrow

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great post TFP. There is another thread on this game but I'l go for an optimistic 1-1 draw. That will suit me fine.

Might it be worth merging the posts? I can't do it as both post were initiated from the Preston forum. The only problem is the great intro above would come some way down the merged thread.

4. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

have made my mind up and I am heading over for this one! I am also at Orient on Saturday so a return of 4 points would be great and six points absolutely fantastic! U think as this is a game in hand and gives us the pportunity to get up to second the boys will be really fired up and take the win in a close encounter - 2-1. Then follow up with at least a draw at Orient, whilst others in L1 have some tough games, (e.g. Charlton @ Sheff U...)

5. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

thanks for the nice write up on wycombe flying plumber

6. theflyingplumber

Evening smith_pne..<ok>...Might we look forward to a match summary if you are attending ????

7. theflyingplumber

Thanks Rocky, I enjoy doing them...<ok>

8. Rocky blue army

i will give you a round up on the match and it wont be bias honest

9. theflyingplumber

No problem for me merging the threads Ron nor if this article ends up on the finneyfan's thread. Problem is that I have no idea how to do that and cant find anything on the forum Q@A...<ok>
    I do agree it would be better if the two threads were merged.

10. SimonWWFC

SimonWWFC New Member

Great article Plumber. Hopefully see a competitive match but I can't see us winning it. 1-1

11. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

absolutely! will fill you in wednesday morning... <ok>

12. theflyingplumber

Many thanks...<ok>

13. Rocky blue army

seems ridiculous to make preston fans travel all this way in midweek,surely the powers that be could have changed it to a weekend game when both clubs are knocked out of the fa cup and have a free weekend.the fa really havent got a clue,and dont give a **** about the fans

14. theflyingplumber

It's been an expensive couple of weeks for Northend fans Rocky, Brentford/Charlton/Southampton with Wycombe tomorrow and Leyton Orient on Saturday.
    Not sure how many fans will make the trip tomorrow, but cant see that many travelling down to Adams Park on a Tuesday night to be honest. PNE have played two games less than most in our division and I expect that the club dont want a stack of fixtures piling up at a later date. Both clubs having won on Saturday will perhaps want to keep the momentum going hoping that Saturday's form can be carried over to tomorrow night...<ok>

15. Rocky blue army

i think the fa think us fans are made of money,also any preston fans attending will be getting home at silly oclock and have work in the morning.

16. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

Another excellent article Plummy, mine isn't a match thread, nor was it meant to be, just a query on how we all thought the game would go :)
    Wycombe fans seem a decent bunch so hope we put on a good performance in front of them, with a positive outcome of course ;)

17. Bilversack

Bilversack Member

Nice to hear these commenst from the PNE fans, I must admit it's a breath of fresh air hearing intelligent footy fans on here conversing properly with rival clubs, unlike the halfwit ColU fans who jog on and off every now and then. Now come on let's stuff the Lilywhites (however interestingly enough I think if PNE win tonight I go top of the fun league ha ha!)

18. Jonners6

Jonners6 New Member

It's a hard one - Wycombe beating Blades but with their first goal in 531 minutes of play this season. Us playing badly and winning. I think that with Smith back our defence will be slightly better/quicker and that Mellor and Proctor will take chances. We've had a few games where we could have had 4-5 and are due to give a team a battering. It'll be tonight or at Orient I think.

19. Rocky blue army

i hope its not tonight<yikes>1all draw for me.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not tonight Josephine, not tonight.