1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Would Swansea sell Ki to us in Jan if we offered Colback and about 4 million?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bexinio, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

Simple question really if they didn't recall Ki, in the papers want Colback and currently have a midfield injury list.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

They probably would but that's not the only issue is it? Why would Ki commit to a permanent transfer and risk being contracted to a relegated side when he's here for the season anyway? He has the luxury to decide his future at the end of the season, why would he ever give that luxury up? You'd have to be a mad man.

I wouldn't ship Colback out either, we need to keep the players who can pass a ball and sell the duds like Gardner.

3. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

very counter productive move jc is a valuable member of the club with a long term future i hope

4. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

We keep Colback and sign Ki in the summer when we stay up - SIMPLES

5. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Colback can already talk to other clubs. He won't cost a fee so he will be offered far more than he is currently on. Are we prepared to give him big bucks.

Who ever is in charge of contracts at the club has seriously cocked up.

6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

If Colback doesn't sign a contract then he goes for free in the summer. I hope he does personally but the money invested in his coaching is wasted if he doesn't sign.

I don;t know what to do for the club in this instance as selling him would weaken our squad but keeping a player who is likely to be leaving (if he doesn;t sign) could also be detriment to the squad. Imagine if he talks to one of the clubs around us (as he is now permitted to do). What happens when we play this club if they agree an end of season deal with him? This, IMO, is even worse than the loan rule where a player can't play for their parent club. I really hope the lad signs

Thing is Tony - he turned down a contract twice this season I think (definitely before the season started - I thought he'd been offered another one but not certain). So the club tried to resolve the situation and Colback knocked them back. He is a decent player who is good as part of a squad with different needs at different times. He is not a £40k a week player and if he gets offered that elsewhere then bye and good luck to him. He does deserve an offer of more than he's on though (although I don;t know how much he's on!)

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

We need to get Colback's contract sorted asap..he is a very valuable member of our team in my opinion..

8. Hudson

Hudson Member

The club are obviously trying to cut down on the wage bill and are no longer wanting players (especially squad players) on 30-40k per week, ala Bramble et al - and rightly so. Colback wouldnt sign a contract because he wanted to be up there with the highest paid players at the club, where at the minute I would guesstimate that he would be on somewhere between 10-20k per week. I do like Colback, but he is IMO a squad player and therefore shouldnt be paid the same as the likes of what Fletcher, Johnson, Brown will be getting (40-50k+ at a guess).

Offer him somewhere in the middle (25-30k) and if he signs, great; but I wouldnt be held to ransom by him. He would be a great player to keep as a squad player and would do fantastic if we were to be relegated, but there are much better premiership quality CMs out there.

9. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Id quite happily give him parity with whatever Gardner and Larsson earn as apparently he's on a lot less.

I can't see him still being here next year though as a free agent i think he'll get an offer from someone like Everton.

10. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

I agree Marcus. However if you leave his negotiations until his last season you put the player in a very strong position. Had we spoken to him with 2 + years to go we may have done better?

On top of that the club seem to have allowed 7 or 8 other players in the same situation. Which is poor by the club.

Not that I would renew many of the contracts...