1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Snooker Final 2012 - O'Sullivan v Carter

Discussion in 'Snooker' started by redcgull, May 6, 2012.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

So after two weeks of snooker in which we've had upsets, massive disasters, a maximum, great potting displays, great sessions, arguements off the table, controversy on it, we are left with the last two standing, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Ali Carter.

In the corner to my right we have the Rocket, Ronnie O'Sullivan, the players player and fans favourite...!!!Ronnie has shown some commendable patience in this years finals and has looked determined from the on set of this years Championships. It looks a new Ronnie. He has looked like he has enjoyed the games, the saftey battles and of course the winning. Ebdon, Williams and Robertson all past champions have been put to the sword and done so with great efficiency and not much drama attached. None of the 'Im bigger than the game' antics have come out this year. None of the moaning about slow play, the set up the way he is playing. He really has looked a champion from day one. Of course his detractors will say that if the 'real' Ronnie turns up he is the best player full stop and should have won more trophy's anyway. But he did turn up, he did play, and he didnt always win. These were the nagging doubts about the player that we all love to watch, which Ronnie will come out. The Rocket who fizzes around the table with the authority of the champion. Or the Rocket that runs out of steam and flickers in the dark corners of his mind. Thank the Lord that the fizz bomb turned up this year.

In the other corner we have the nearly man, the forgotten man really in Ali Carter. A very talented player who thinks a lot about the game and has had up and down seasons for a few years now. He fell out with game when his health took over his life, and probably still dos, but he looks focused, determined and the belief has come back into his game. He dug extremely deep to beat the pre-tournament favourite in Judd Trump. Battled hard to get past the tenacious Jaime Jones. Then showed his class and mental strength to get past Maguire. Whats left for him is to just beat his old practice partner Ronnie and lift his first ever World title, its as easy as that...

As for the match it will be like any other, you need a good start. Lose the first session 6-2 and the 18 frames needed to win the tournament look a distant dream. It is possible to come back from a bad start but its a long two days of hard snooker on top of a very demanding two weeks of tough match play snooker. Ronnie has the advantage of course he has but Ali will have the self belief that has got him this far and i think will push O'Sullivan all the way. Who ever wins this will know that they have been in a tough match...

I do fancy O'Sullivan to win this but i don't think it will be by a big margin...

R. O'Sullivan to win 18-14... 9/1 with PadPow

2. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I reckon your bet may be close Red, Carter hopefully can come out and snatch the first few today and make a game of it, otherwise Ronnie may run away with it. Overall O'Sullivan deserves to win, been the most consistent player of the tournament.

3. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

The 2012 World Snooker Champion is Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Congratulations to Ronnie and to the way he has performed not only in the final but in the tournament as a whole. Just a superb performance from his first match against Peter Ebdon to his last in a 18-11 win over Ali Carter. Strange with hindsight you would have picked Ronnie from the start to win it, but he always makes you think 'which Ronnie is turning up today'. But if truth be told the 'REAL' Ronnie O'Sullivan has been with us this past two weeks, and a joy to watch he has been to.

He is the most gifted of players, the public know this, the players know this, and at times Ronnie know this, but he cant turn it on all the time. After all he is human and humans can show emotions that can make or break a performance. Only robots can perform with a steel heart and repeat all the shots with remorseless precision, but where dos the excitement come from...? O'Sullivan is human and when you see how silky smooth he looks when in full potting mood, the grace in his actions and the thought process in creating his breaks you know this is coming from a good heart. No robot could perform to such precision. No robot could show the patience that Ronnie did. No robot could also show such enjoyment for the game like Ronnie did. He looked like a very contented man at the end holding his little lad Ronnie jnr and he was taking everything in as if this could be his last as well. Retirement had been uttered but i think he was relishing the battle of playing at his best, thinking at his best and winning at his best and for that we thank him. He may not be back, but i think that is more towards winning this trophy than retiring from the game of snooker.

I do think that he will carry on as there are too many snooker players that will keep at him to keep playing. Its in their interests to keep him playing on, he brings in the crowds he gets the players watching him and shows the snooker players and fans what can be achieved. We all love Ronnie...

As for the final it takes two players to make that up and by no means was Ali Carter a puppet to play second fiddle to Ronnie. Ali gave his all and with a bit more concentration, which must have been drained after the two weeks he has had, then we may have had a closer final in scoreline. But the truth of the matter is Ronnie wanted to win the scrappy frames as much as make the big one visit frame winning breaks. Ali will take a lot out of this tournament and will hopefully have a good summer break and come back in good heart that he can win another ranking title.

Another very enjoyable tournament again and long may it continue...

4. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

I was at all 4 sessions of the final, was very disappointed with Carter, far too defensive, Ronnie actually had a better safety game than him even though both were top notch, but Carter seemed to use it a lot more, especially when there were opportunities to pot something (which Ronnie went and potted a shot or 2 later).

Ronnies 92 in the 7th frame was the highlight break, when he started it my Dad said to me, he will make 20 then play safe, he bloody cleared up, and I still dont know how he did it.

Its very weird though, some of the crowd are ignorant ****ers, "turn your phone off" and they sit there with it on in the first frame, 2 got chucked out in the 1st session, one next to me in the last session got a warning for it. People go out after the 1st frame, well they cant get back in till the 3rd frame, there was one bloke in the 1st session, 1st frame he seen, 2nd and 3rd he missed, 4th he seen, midsession interval, 5th he seen, 6th and 7th he missed, 8th he seen, whats the point, more money than sense as it was £50 a session for the 1st 3 sessions and the last one was £65, just boggles the mind why they bother.

Experience I will never forget though, it was great (and i seen every single second of every single frame).

5. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Would have loved to been there blackcat, good to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah, Carter was too defensive for my liking but i guess he came with a game plan the one he and his team thought best to defeat O'Sullivan but O'Sullivan was just too good and won with a bit in hand if you ask me. The phone in the crowd i never understand, 1st thing you do if you go to watch snooker is say ''oh yeah, i better put my phone on silent/or off altogether'', amazes me how so many people forget or are just ignorant to that fact.