1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Women’s World Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, May 25, 2019.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

The BBC are really bigging up this tournament which I only realised was happening In two weeks.

Apparently it’s ‘all across the bbc’.

What a load of old ****e.

Apparently the viewing figures are atrocious but rather than accept the view of the majority of their viewers they continue to put this sport on mainstream TV.

There must be plenty of sports which men and women play which don’t get enough coverage so are overlooked in favour of this rampant attempt to be politically correct.

I’d rather sand paper my bollocks and pommel end then dip them in Himalayan rock salt than watch that boring ****e again.

Thoughts?

2. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Pink Himalayan rock salt? It’s meant to be the best kind!

3. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I just can't get excited about it.

4. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

Might watch it, I often laugh when I see someone in a bra score a goal so it might not be that bad

5. cronemeister

Do they take their tops off when they score a goal?

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  6. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

And get a booking?? Don’t be stupid!! <doh>

Dorty Dogbreath and cronemeister like this.
  7. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Oh, come on guys, really ?
    Is that the best you can do ?
    The old do they take their shirts off bollocks.
    These girls have worked so hard and overcome years of prejudice and stereotypical ****, to play this sport and reach a level to represent their country.
    I played at a high level in my younger days and can vouch for the abuse we used to get., not just the usual verbal crap, but organised and blatant sexism by those who thought we should go home and do the ironing. You may laugh, but it really wasn’t funny to be mocked and intimidated every time we tried to participate and enjoy the sport we loved.
    Think about the last time you personally went out to a play sport, any sport, it’s doesn’t matter what. Then imagine being heckled, imagine the same old tired jokes, imagine being told you shouldn’t be allowed to do it, then imagine being told you can’t use the toilets or showers at the ground or sports centre. I could go on, but l hope you get the picture.
    You may think it’s boring, and lacking the skill of the men’s game, fine, then don’t watch it.
    Seems odd to me that for something so uninteresting, it gets posted about a lot on this forum. Our so called modern footballers may well do better if they did wear bras to play in. They would look lovely with their hairdos, highlights, bling and tattoos.
    Next time the girls play, just remember the following,
    They don’t cheat and dive all over the place.
    They don’t abuse the referee
    They don’t scream obscenities when they don’t get their own way
    They don’t spit or gob snot all over the place, and especially not at each other.
    Perhaps their male counterparts could take a leaf out of that particular book.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

You miss my point I think. It’s about fair coverage for sports in general and not the rights of anyone to play a sport. There’s lots of sports where viewing figures will be higher which get overlook so that the powers that be can tick the PC box by going overboard about what is still a minority sport in the UK. The attendances don’t lie.

If a poll were to be done listing out all sports.. and the population were to chose the top 5 or even 10 they’d like to see on prime time TV.. I bet women’s football won’t be in the list.

Regardless of the sex of the players I find it boring, as I do no league men’s football as the standards are atrocious. On that point there will be more interest In non league football getting its fair share of coverage I reckon.

Just my view.

9. JulioGeordio90

JulioGeordio90 Well-Known Member

I'll be watching it. Women's football has come a long way in a short time and will continue to grow. It will most likely never reach the peaks of men's football but the support is growing and now you're starting to see sponsors come on board and move the game forward. I genuinely hope though that we reach a point where people can say "I don't watch women's football because I don't personally like it" rather than complaints about "political correctness" or let's be honest, undertones and sometimes obvious examples of sexism. Bet these ladies have more talent than any of us on this forum, and they've probably had to put up with way more abuse than any of us have had to when pursuing a passion.

10. Beardsley's Shimmy

Beardsley's Shimmy Well-Known Member

It’s not for me. Even wor lass has tried to watch it but won’t again as the standard is so poor.

11. cronemeister

Not for me either, it’s like watching football in slow motion! That’s not taking away anything from the sport, fair play to all the lady footballers.

Why the **** does everything have to be prefixed with the word “women’s” anyways? Who decided to make that a thing...probably a woman! It’s just football, and golf and darts and rugby and beach volleyball etc etc. When people stop putting labels on things to make them stand out from the norm then maybe people will stop having a pop. The whole worlds gone PC mad man. Women commentators and presenters for men’s football...why? I’ve got nothing against women commentators or presenters but why not just stick to your own sport? Even my missus cringes when MOTD is on, it’s just pointless, it doesn’t prove anything (other than we’re a ****ing nanny state and scared of offending people too easily) and it just results in people having discussions such as this.

BlackAndAmberGambler likes this.
  12. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Agree with a number of your points but also agree with Chippy. Have no problem women playing sport and agree top level men’s sport could learn a thing or two from women’s sport or just remember what used to be. It just feels as though women’s football is being artificially pushed by powers to be be to tick a “pc” box and not because of “demand”. It feels like positive discrimination and I’m just against all forms of discrimination as by positive discrimination just as much as negative discrimination someone is being discriminated against.

13. Geordie lass in the Fen

Actually l don’t watch it on telly either, and l agree it’s nowhere near being as good a spectator sport as the men’s game. My point was that if you mention Women’s Football, then it’s not long before the silly “ shirts off “ etc jokes come out and it’s so boring. I agree that the sport seems to have become the subject of positive discrimination and it’s not fuelled by popular demand.
    But thinking back to how it used to be in my day, better positive discrimination, than just plain discrimination. I do wish that it was just left to its own merits to be honest.

14. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I bet the women (in bras) would beat the mackems.

15. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

A fair point there GLITF.

16. Geordie lass in the Fen

Exactly what l did back in 1982
    Lowestoft Ladies vs Cleveland Spartans.

17. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Might watch it if they wore the same kit as the beach volleyball girls.

18. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Think you're all missing the point to be honest.

I don't think the Beeb are pushing it as any form of positive discrimination, they're pushing it because they can't afford most of the mainstream sport so have to make a big deal out of the ones they can. Nothing to do with gender.