1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 v 0 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2018-1-3_8-50-8.png Wolves v. Swansea City upload_2018-1-3_8-50-9.png

Competition - FA Cup
    Stage - Third round
    Date - Saturday, 6 January 2018
    Kick Off - 15:00
    Venue - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton

After two encouraging PL performances under new Manager, Carlos Carvalhal, the Swans' next match is a Third Round FA Cup Match against the runaway leaders of the Championship, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The dilemma for Carvalhal is whether to rotate his squad and play 'fringe' players so that he can see them in action in a competitive fixture, or whether to play what he currently considers to be his best XI in the hope of building on the win at Watford and building on the encouraging performance against Spurs where arguably the team deserved to pick up a point.

Whatever Carvalhal decides, his players will face a confident and buoyant Wolves team who will surely be back playing Premier League football next season: indeed, at the moment it looks like they will be replacing us.

Swansea and Wolves have played each other on 33 occasions (including last season's Football League Trophy match when the Swans fielded their Under 23s), with the Swans winning 9, Wolves 13 and 11 draws.

Swansea's last visit to Moulineux was in October 2011 - our first season in the PL - when it ended 2-2 in a game that saw Wolves stage a stunning late fightback to hold the Swans to a draw and ease the pressure on (then) manager Mick McCarthy.

The hosts trailed 2-0 at the break and seemed certain to be heading for a sixth successive Premier League loss after Danny Graham slotted the visitors ahead from Mark Gower's clever, dinked pass and then Joe Allen converted Graham's inviting cross to double the lead.

But Kevin Doyle's close-range shot gave Wolves hope and Jamie O'Hara's fierce strike denied Swansea victory.

The match saw the Swans at last claim their first away point in the PL but had seemed certain to secure the win after outclassing Wolves for much of the game.

Looking ahead to Saturday, in a match that sees the bottom club in the PL away to the top team in the Championship, I think that if Carvalhal selects his strongest team, then the Swans should be good enough to get at least a draw. If he selects anything less than his strongest XI, then I suspect that Wolves will win by 2 or 3 goals.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves rest more players than we do. Hopefully Bony is back, maybe Ki will play if he can free himself from his cotton wool. Any idea when Bartley is fit to play?
    I can see this being a draw which won't please both teams

3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

We should use this as a final pre season game to get our game plan/tactics etc ready for Newcastle. Use the next 11 days to prepare fully for that game.

Hopefully Bartley can get a run out.

Anyone know if Ki, Bony and Leon will be fit?

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  4. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Bartley on the bench last night.

Last night there were a few instances of players not being on the same wavelength (though TBH fewer than previously).
    The cup game would be a good opportunity for Carvalhal to see fringe players but he also needs to give his new combinations game time together.

Unless we are bringing in full backs this week he should use our under 23s IMO.

I'd be in favour of using the game to experiment -
    (Assuming our injured payers are not available
    Nordfeldt

Lewis Bartley MVdH Reid

Gorre Fulton Britton Clucas
    McBurnie Abraham

5. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

2-2

6. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Even if Rangel is fit we need a RB before Saturday.

7. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Wolves are a better outfit than us ATM and i fully agree that they are firm favorites and should win......Carvo after two games is showing that he can improve things but he definitely needs to bring in 2 or 3 players to do his job properly as he will struggle with most of our lot as they are not good enough and couple that with fading has beens then Carvo has a tough job to do......

8. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

A win is a win and breeds confidence.
    What better way of proving you are better than the championship than beating the leaders on their own patch?
    All out for the win for me.....

9. Bob the slob

Having chatted about the game it would be a very good opportunity to pick a team with partnership Carlos expects to use against Newcastle.
    We know he won't get the tranche of players needed (if any before the end of January) so he needs to see what he can get from who he has.
    Obviously it will be good to win but using the game to prepare for Newcastle would also be time well spent.

10. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Would like to see Reid at RB and there could also be starts or at least bench for Gorre, Fulton with Leon or Mesa. Fer and Routledge prob starters with Ollie up front, no idea who will be selected at LB, surely we can't risk starting Olsson.

I see Bartley played for the U23's last game out so its him and VDH at CB. This is the pairing I was hoping to see this season but injuries and managers insistence on picking fekkin Fernandez all the time stopped that.

Nordfeldt

Reid Bartley VdH ???

Gorre Fer Britton (Capt) Routledge

McBurnie Bony

Can't believe the fekking luck some people get. Under Calvahal it seems, Sanchez will be selected for another ten games or so, so he can continue to 'find himself' while ****ting all over our midfield <doh> There has to be a joke in there somewhere but don't see it through the tears of my despair.

11. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Team talk tomorrow, ****ing class

12. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

That was nearly as long as a game <laugh>

13. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I'd go with a full strength team in order for essential playing partnerships to develop.

Sanches to continue his recent development as he scores in a Swans 2-1 victory <ok>

14. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I don't think we will weaken significantly, but still believe that Carvahal is still trying to work out his best side, so should see some changes.

15. keith gatebroth

keith gatebroth Well-Known Member

A bit of a conundrum. Carlos says he needs to see the rest of the squad in action but he also needs to get a settled team. Clement fielded almost a different side every match and look where that got us. Not too many changes for me as we tread a slippery slope.

16. Bob the slob

No Nordfeldt or Mawson!

17. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Interesting line up!................<ok>

18. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Anyone have a working stream????

19. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have no stream?

Stumpy likes this.
  20. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Good 'ol Radio Wales ere..

Stumpy and DragonPhilljack like this.