1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Win or Bust against the WIndies

Discussion in 'International Cricket' started by devonFRATTONiser, Mar 12, 2011.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Assuming the other remaining results in Group B don't include any upsets, the scenario ahead of Thursday's game is simple: England win and they progress. Lose and they are out.

However, if results go the wrong way, a win might not even be enough.

If:
    SA beat Ind
    Bang beat Neth
    SA beat Ire
    Eng beat WI
    Ire v Neth (doesn't matter)
    Bang beat SA
    WI beat Ind

Then:
    SA, Bang and WI would all finish on 8 points
    Ind and Eng would finish on 7 points

Net Run Rate would decide if England or India are eliminated

Let's hope it doesn't come to that <yikes>

2. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Hello Devonfrattoniser.

What a messy World Cup this has turned out to be, with all the uncertainties seemingly driven by England’s supreme inconsistency. The wonder has to be that they find themselves in this position at all, really, especially given the confident noises emanating from the camp before the tournament began. I’m no longer sure that they even deserve to escape the group stages, in fact, although I clearly hope that they do so.

The indifferent performances against the Netherlands, Ireland and now Bangladesh, contrasted against the application and resolve shown against India and South Africa, kind of suggests a team that struggles to concentrate fully when pitted against one of the ”lesser” teams. Without wishing to take anything away from the Netherlands, Ireland or Bangladesh, of course, but England should still be comfortably beating such teams (in any form of the game).

Two consolations, I suppose: 1) maybe a more consistently focused team will emerge in the knock-out stages - one which marries the seeming complexities of batting and bowling well at the same time - as the tournament reaches the business end of proceedings and 2) the excitement and watchability factor in all of England’s matches has been stunning. Terrific advert for cricket; terrific nightmare for England fans.

I still think they’ll beat the West Indies and progress, however, although I may be confusing the words “think” and “hope”.

3. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

My theory is that after being on tour for about 4 months they'd all rather be at home, the Windies won't be easy but Banladesh won't beat South Africa so they should go through to be promptly despatched in the knock outs

4. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

Don't think India will be losing to South Africa today! Makes you realise how well we did to be the only team to take points off them.

5. Dangerous Marsupial

You must understand I made the above comment when India where 1 for 270 odd, I could not of forseen them doing an England and finishing 7 or 8 overs later 296 all out!

6. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

We'll let you off

7. Dangerous Marsupial

SA must be worried now their top 4 have gone. Their middle order is hardly dependable!

8. Psychosomatic

This is England-esque.

13 runs needed from the final over. Tense as hell.

Edit: Wow. South Africa made that look easy. Ten from the first two balls. No contest.

9. Dangerous Marsupial

Come on, if that was England they'd of lost from there... actually, no they'd of won because England only lose to minnows!

10. Psychosomatic

True. Depressingly enough.

"Actually, no they'd of won because England only lose to minnows!"

Also true, although I can&#8217;t quite work out how two seemingly contradictory statements can both be so logically watertight. I must be suffering from World Cup fever, whereby everything goes topsy-turvy and all moral certainties are lost.

India must be screaming at themselves for that collapse. What a mess they made of that.