1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will we make the playoffs ? i hope for top 6

Discussion in 'West Ham' started by WHU, Aug 7, 2011.

1. WHU

WHU New Member

Hi guys after this performance today i hope we can atleast have a chance at promotion at the end of the season...

hopefully we get into a good place before all our top players like parker leave then we can hopefully cruise into the playoffs.

we were terrible today..like alst season..hope we dont end up like leeds..they started the same way.

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

what top players?

We need a striker that can score goals, same story for 3rd season in a row, I think G&S need to get their chequebooks out for Long, we know he can score in this division, unlike Cole or Piqi.

3. Cockney Eyetie

I disagree.
    We dominated large parts of the game,our midfield was in total control,but we had no cutting edge up front,and Cardiff defended superbly.
    Taylor,O'Brien,Tomkins and Noble all played well. Nolan was ok and Parker did'nt look his usual self. We ended up getting the sucker punch at the death.

4. United States

United States Member

Cardiff game plan did work by playing one-player at front and crowding up the midfield. Piquionne and Sears didn't offer anything. I don't why big Sam didn't replaced them in the second half.. There were plenty of chances but none taken.

5. WHU

WHU New Member

transfer window closes soon so hopefully sam is thinking the same...but as things stand..

where can you see us finishing? i think mid table is not good but not unrealistic.

6. KOBY

KOBY Guest

Our play was pretty decent today,we kept possession well which we have struggled to do
    for a long time now.

Add goals to today's performance and we will win the league,I dont understand
    why you are talking about top 6 ?

We hit the post,had one cleared of the line and several blocked at the last minute.

7. WHU

WHU New Member

im talking top 6 because its a lot more realistic and to be honest isnt all that bad. we have basically picked up were we left off last season and a good solid season with some kind of acheivement would be nice to turn it around next season and hopefully look to promotion.

even sam himself said its a 2 year job to bounce back to the premiership for us. (hopefully we get lucky this season though)

cardiff had plenty of chances..as much as us if you are being honest with yourself you know that - be graceful in defeat was a good game.

edit] you can expect to lose our players and that will make these games even harder.

8. Joe Allen's short man syndrome

As a neutral seemed to me west ham players thought all they had to do was turn up and collect the 3 points without much bother at all. Looked like they felt to superior to chase the ball down and make things difficult for Cardiff who were given far too much time on the ball. team need to wake up and realise nobody will roll over and die in championship and you could be in for a long season if your players don't realise this. You will be seen as a big scalp in this league and will be chased down all over the park especially in midfield every week. Unless you fight fire with fire and do the same you will struggle. I think you would benefit from some players with championship experience and get rid of some who minds maybe elsewhere. After all you are a huge club in that league and would attract some of the best championship players

9. WHU

WHU New Member

well said mate i just wish our team and supporters had that mentality

10. SBFF

SBFF Well-Known Member

If the hammers want to go back up right away then Big Sam needs to look at how Newcastle did it when they were here.
    Ok, you found out today how hard its going to be, but you still have the best team, they need to start working to deliver.
    Don't beat yourself up though guys, it was lucky for us we played you so early, now Sam knows he will hopefully get it right next time.
    You have problems to sort out, but it's not has bad as you may think.

BTW Koby is a knob, the rest of you are sound.

11. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

the championship is the best league in the world and is far better than the premiership but without the rewards, you will find that everyone can beat each other on the day, i remember leeds and forest and boro giving it large that they will walk the championship and they ended up two relegated and boro fighting relegation. this season the championship looks fantastic with a lot of former premiership sides in it and anyone would be a fool to say they are going to win it just because who you are......give me championship football any day of the week as its far more entertaining and the winners will be greatly rewarded just like my team this season... if it was not for the rewards then they can stick the premiership, If we come straight back down at the end of the season then i know that we will be going back to a more entertaining league where anyone and everyone has a chance of success, good luck to all.....

12. Longshanks

Longshanks Member

Welcome to the world of big sam, talks the talk but an unmitigated disaster of an old school manager who has no place in modern football.
    His arrogance pre-season of expecting to top the league or at least top 6 was unbelievable. He hasn't done his homework on the championship and is in for a big surprise.
    Except him to be back to his old ways - the old long ball game within the month

13. Big Ern

what I saw today is pretty much what I've been seeing for the last few years, good midfield, **** everywhere else. a striker that can put the ball in the net and a keeper that can keep 1 out, is that really too much to ask?

14. WHU

WHU New Member

it is a differant and in that sense more difficult league for us to play in i feel. I mean the cardiff team were at the weakest they are going to be for the rest of this season (due to the huge amount of players they lost and brought in) and they really made us struggle and ultimately pay for trying to play premiership football in the championship.

I just think our mindset and tactics are all wrong..we need to adjust with the new enviroment because at this rate im really unconfident with our possible future league standings.

we are novices in the championship. Just look at leeds and middlesborough etc it only takes 1 season of "missing out" and you end up being a regular championship team.

fingers crossed that things change soon.

edit] a truely skilled and worth its while team (like westham) SHOULD be adapting and changing towards what is needed not what was hoped for last season. we are going to be outmatched if it continues.

15. Big Ern

everytime we get relegated it seems to take us an age to 'adapt', as too the 1 season of missing out, that's what we usually do in our first season in the championship, we usually go up the following season, and not as champios either. Ddo you remember when we were all celebrating on the pitch shouting 'we are the champions' only to discover oldham had scored and won it instead, then we all started singing 'we aren't the champions' 90-91 I think.

16. Jonny rocco

Jonny rocco New Member

Ha McCartney ain't gonna do you no favours like.

17. Wellington

Wellington Guest

Bit pessimistic to say the least. I think we all knew that the first few games wern't going to be easy rather gritty affairs which could go either way. That's natural as there's been a lot of change this summer and were trying to find our feet at this level. There was a lot of positives Sunday the only thing we couldn't do is put the ball in the back of net. Once we get settled there's no reason why we shouldn't get still get an automatic spot. I still can't understand why sam has'nt bought in a natural goalscorer like Maynard? We now have 3 forwards who do exactly the same job. I hope piquionne goes elsewhere he was bad on Sunday he just doesn't look interested in working hard for the team.

18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You're not very good. That's your problem. Or one of them.

19. Plastique Bertrand

Plastique Bertrand Well-Known Member

Really, You'll find the that Saints, Leicester, Derby and Leeds will have bigger crowds. West Ham Utd aren't out place here, it's more the players they've kept hold of (for now) which will make em the scalp.

Anyway I like the Hammers ...think I've read one too many of Koby's posts. But he's right in some regard, surely you need to go up this season to keep fans and players?

20. Cockney Eyetie

KOBY is being dealt with