1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will we finish this season?

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Mar 10, 2020.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

It is looking likely the next stage of the fight against Coronavirus (the delay phase) will start in the next week or so. This will probably mean playing matches behind closed or even cancelling them. Obviously if that is the best scientific advice and will save lives it has to be done. As for football it will probably mean some struggling lower league clubs with no gate money in will probably go bust. Promotion and relegation issues in an incomplete season will be a nightmare for the football authorities. Let's hope it never comes to that but football can not expect to go unscathed and it is less important than the health of the nation.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

you just dont know , if the rate replicates italy then yes it will. i was very suprised cheltenham races whent ahead.
    germany have canceled theaters, they have played one football game behind closed doors and are doing it on a case by case basis.
    as you say with number of lower league teams struggling financially then this could tip them over.whilst ticket revenue is important the income has come in from season tixkets, i think they sold over 3,000 also it is hte comercial side of things that generate income ,if large gatherings are baned then this will be a big hit for clubs.

the cup run helped town finacially and we have a million pound reserve, ricketts also indicated he whould not be looking to sign new players in an interview in the star, so unless we have key players leave outgoings will be minmial
    with this virus 85% of people will only experience mild to moderate symptoms, so it is the fans over 60 and fans with impaired health who are most at risk.

3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

As a big racing fan I am watching the Cheltenham festival now so I am very happy it is going ahead. You are right Zen, if the new cases profile follows that of Italy in the next few days there will be mass cancellations of sporting events. If more than a few weeks is lost the sensible thing would be to make the whole season void and start again in August, otherwise the relegated clubs would be suing the league. Italy are thinking about doing this now. Despite what Bill Shankly used to say football is not more important than life and death so we must
    do what the doctors tell us and hope as many as possible stay well.

Zenfootball2 likes this.