1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will we be severely affected if Suarez left?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by carlthejackal, Feb 18, 2012.

1. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

I have just read in the media about the interest in Suarez from some clubs in Europe. Paris St Germain is one of the clubs supposed to be very keen to bid.

I wonder what fans here think. Suarez is a very good striker and he has played very well in most matches. On the downside he has brought a lot of baggage with him and has caused the club a lot of grief. The FA was unfair in their judgement and in their lengthy ban.

He may well decide that he has enough of the hostile environment and go in the summer. If (and it is a big IF ) we decided to let him go it will be for a very huge fee. Are there any strikers out there we could recruit IF he decided to leave? And how badly will we be affected if he left because we didn't do too badly during his suspension?

2. I'm not convinced on that bit either. Suarez is a very good player, he is a very creative player too, but he is not a great striker. I would call him either a forward or attacker. IMO, strikers score goals and lots of them. Suarez's shooting is appalling, he never scores the easy chances either.

If PSG made a bid in the summer I would be disappointed to see him go but I wouldn't be gutted like I was with Fowler, McManaman, Fernando Torres, etc. He has brought a lot of bad press to the club and will continue to do so because that is the type of character Suarez is. Oh, and aren't PSG one of the money bags of football? Maybe we could get a small loot from them in the process? Would anyone complain if we got £30m+ for him...?

3. carlthejackal

You are right. PSG are the new moneybags of European football. They are France's equivalent of Man City and their owners are even richer (if that's possible) than Man City's.

I think we should squeeze more than £30m. I personally think we will miss him on the pitch but like you, we just do not know what he is going to do next.

4. Yeah, I' hope for more than £30m too but I think that is more to do with figures we have seen in the past and it being PSG that are interested. We saw in January that clubs are not spending money. Maybe they are concerned about the FFP rules afterall...?

5. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I said that I would be happy to see Torres go for £40m last season, I think £30m at least would be a good deal. Say if we did get top 4 I think we could move on easily with a decent replacement. If he stays I hope he can prove his worth, as GCoS says...he's a great player but not a fantastic striker.

6. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

It would be a stupid idea to sell him, if we keep selling our best players because the media and opposition fans don't like him then we will never win the league again.

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

We need to keep hold of him and get someone that suits him to play alongside. That Napoli striker that plays up front for Uraguay Caveni or something, can't be bothered to look sorry.

8. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

If he creates more havoc then it may become an issue with more important things than the opinion of fans and the media, such as the Clubs sponsors. If it could effect us financially then it could be a stupid idea to keep him on. Here's to hoping that he keeps his head down and between now and the end of the season the flames die out and he provides/scores plenty of goals to push for top 4. <ok>

9. carlthejackal

Agreed.

No one is bigger than the club.

10. Salah's-left-foot

Salah's-left-foot Well-Known Member

For those saying 'No one is bigger than a club' - Get a ****ing grip.

No one says we're keeping Suarez because we're useless without him, we're saying if we sell him then does this mean we'll bow down to media pressure every time? The sponsorship thing is a good point but they questioned Liverpool's handling of the situation, NOT Suarez. It'd be stupid to even sell him with one slight concern from a sponsor.

In that case, 'No sponsor is bigger than the club'.

I can't believe how far this whole Suarez saga has gone on, the media have juiced as much as they can from it, its pushed me to make some pretty harsh posts on here recently.

How about we just get back to talking about ACTUAL football?

11. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

I've had enough of selling our best players. I don't remember Ferguson selling Cantona even though he gave the club so much bad press, same with Roy Keane, who did much worse things than Suarez like deliberately try to injure an opposition player.

12. Salah's-left-foot

Salah's-left-foot Well-Known Member

Rooney? Giggs?

We could be here all day.

13. saintKlopp

Of course we shouldn't sell him because of media bullying.
    Trouble is it's not our decision (by "our" I mean us on here), it depends on the owners. If they are hypersensitive to their public image and the possible pressure of the sponsors, they may think it's a good idea as a form of damage limitation to disassociate themselves from the "scandal".
    Obviously for the press to lecture anybody on morality is a joke but do our owners read it the same way?

As to the OP- of course we'll be affected, which club wouldn't be by the loss of one of it's most influential players? It happens all the time though, for a variety of reasons, and we'd just have to deal with it.
    I hope it doesn't come to that.

By the way, the apparent interest shown puts to bed the myth that he's hated by all and sundry.

14. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

According to the Times, FSG or Dalglish have no intention of selling Suarez, so it is probably fine for us.

15. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

It's the last thing the papers can write on the issue. From now to summer; there will be stories from "sources close to.." that he's going anywhere to everywhere. They can't be proved wrong until the summers over.

We should be grateful really; dubious transfer rumours means things are on the way back to normal.

16. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

ANYONE who thinks we should offload him is an idiot.

You do not sell your good players under ANY circumstances, not unless you wanna finish 7th in the League every year

I cannot believe some MORONIC LFC fans talking up selling our best player, he was player of the month, first 3 months of the season and it wasnt even close,people have very short memories.I cant even believe somebody has started off this discussion

17. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Hes not a fantastic striker, have you watched any of the games hes played in,<doh>

18. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

Hooray! We are talking about Suarez as a footballer.

Unless Suarez is telling the club that he can't stay in England then we don't want to sell him. This summer we will be looking to improve the quality in our squad. If we do that then Suarez can only shine.

19. carlthejackal

We should talk about football and leave all the crap behind. I cannot see us selling him willingly. It will depend on him asking for a transfer. IF he does, we should let him go IMO. The silver lining is that we will have significant funds to improve the team. IMO we are only about two players short of a title challenging team

20. Redbrynner

Redbrynner Well-Known Member

Ideal situation I believe is that Suarez concentrates on his football until the end of the season and helps us take advantage of Chelsea and Arsenals problems to take the fourth place. Champions league football then allows us to bring in a world class name to go next to him upfront......

This all relies on suarez showing that he can be the big man to match the big player he is. I really hope he can as he could go on to be a legend for us. Everybody makes mistakes - But the best learn from them.