1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will Soldado be a better player next season?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spudulike, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Subject of much division and lately mostly derision, Roberto Soldado sadly hasn't bagged the 20+ goals we hoped he would this season, coming with a hefty price tag and a solid reputation in Spain. I'm still unsure as to whether he is merely overrated and not fit for this league, or simply needs a season to bed in, get used to our game and will then flourish next season with the essential first season experience under his belt.

What's the general consensus? For me, I have a gut feeling (based on nothing that sheer hope) that he will be a better player next season having had time to settle, a full pre-season under his belt and judging by last weekends reaction; the Spurs fans still fully supporting him and wanting him to succeed. Surely an on fire Soldado next season is what we need to achieve our ambitions. Can he become the goal scoring machine we desperately need up front?

(Footnote: If my suspicions are correct, he may be working under another manager come August 2014 so will a new boss see his potential, get the best our of him or cast him aside?)

2. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Will Soldado be a better player next season?

...the bright side is, can't be worse. :)

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Should we have separate topics along the same lines for Paulinho, Eriksen and Lamela?

4. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

I don't think Paulinho has been quite the disappointment. Eriksen and Lamela haven't had anywhere near the minutes on the field so that's why I singled him out. Plus we bought him to score goals which haven't materialised.

5. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sticking my neck out and saying ,they will all be better next season

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I left out Chiriches because he's done enough to justify his arrival (although the ghost of Caulker still looms over our back four, not least because the other day Sherwood mentioned he wouldn't have sold him) whilst Chadli...yeah, not going there.

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I would not be surprised to see Soldado go on a run in the remaining games of this season.

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He'll be better if we cater to him more and buy a creative midfielder to put a few more chances on his plate.
    He's missed some really decent opportunities recently, but he came into a side that wasn't crafting much and wasn't giving him any support and it shot his confidence.

9. 20 miles a day over the next 2 months will have him roughly back in the Madrid area....... <whistle>

Only joshing - I like Bobby and reckon he will come good. Seems to have the right attitude, so won't be for lack of effort or want of trying on his part. <ok>

10. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

When you look at some of the strikers we have had in recent years it's not surprising that we are being patient with Soldado. We have not exactly been showered with quality in this area and we can all see the quality that Soldado has.

11. Well, if he does improve significantly, I will LOL!

12. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

It's all down to Soldado. If he wants to stay, has the right attitude and works hard then I'm sure he'll do well for us next season because he's got the talent, you don't get that kind of scoring rate in La Liga if you're a mug. I'm not convinced we'll see any big change in his form in the last few games of this season though.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

What a miserable narky old bugger you have become. <laugh>

14. theresonly1gerrard

Nope, he will be 29 next season, getting slower and slower and he cant really improve at near 30.

15. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Its difficult to commit but all I know for sure, is that the Soldado we have seen isn't a true reflection of his natural ability yet Man Utd could have said that about Veron, Goons would have said that about Arshavin, We said that about Rebrov, Chelsea said that about Shechenko. Its difficult trying to predict if the fortunes of talented foreign player will change, as usually if a Foreign player struggles in their first season (like Pires, Giroud) but perform in the second year, such players benefit from playing under one manager, the same system.

Soldado has had to play under two managers, different systems, has gone from playing on his own to playing with a partner, wingers who are inverted to classic wingers. Our way of managing the club doesn't help the situation and we wonder why we have so many flop signings over the years.

But I want Soldado to succeed, he has a good football brain, links up well, gets in good positions to score and is intelligent so the ability is there.

16. <laugh>
    Actually, that could not be further from the truth!

Most (not quite all) of what I write I do so for effect. You should know that by now.

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I think he's worked hard this season and had a good attitude. He's been a real "team player" despite lacking confidence and goals. I admire this, as many would have thrown the towel in by now.
    As others have said, he clearly got the talent. If he stays, I think we'll see a lot more goals from him next season.

18. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Perfect attitude and I think we look a better team with him.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Drogba and Di Natale would argue with that.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

If he's still here then I think he'll definitely be better, he can't be much worse to be honest. He's been unlucky at times with keepers pulling off some great saves but he's also fluffed some easy one-on-ones, something will have to go right for him sooner or later and so there's definitely some optimism he'll begin to produce the goods.