1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Match Summary

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by itfcptc, Sep 22, 2014.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

For 70 minutes of that match we were outstanding, passing and moving at a high intensity. The game changed when the subs were made and we tired due to the intensity of our game, that is the problem when you play such a pressing game and this meant we went deep at the end partly because we were knackered and WIgan upped their game but also because we just got deeper and deeper and we lacked a focul point upfront. To be fair we defended pretty well with an outstanding match saving tackle from Berra and a very good save from Gerkin. Probs the best performance I've seen under Mick and even though Bishop had a fairly quiet game tonight he makes that midfield look so much better.

Gerkin - 8 - Not alot to do tonight but made a great save to keep us in the game at the end
    Parr - 7 - Very solid player, a bit like David Wright consistent but not outstanding at both attacking and defending, everything you want from a fullback really, just a shame he's not right footed as he has to keep cutting back onto his left foot.
    Chambers - 7 - Didn't really notice him tonight but I think that's a good thing, just went about his job quietly
    Berra - 8 - This guy is probs the most solid CB I've seen for Ipswich, he makes defending look easy, outstanding tackle at the end which could make him worthy of MOM for me
    Mings - 7 - Outstanding in the first half bit patching in the second. I'm still not 100% convinced about him, still defensively I feel his positioning could be better and can sometimes be a bit naive but hopefully that will come with experience
    Hyam - 8 - Bundles of energy tonight very good game although still not sure he suits that more attacking role, he looks so much better when there's someone else other than Skuse with him in Midfield
    Bishop - 7 - not his best game but he brings a great balance to our team and a presence on the ball, he looks like our best midfielder atm
    Skuse - 7 - better from Skuse tonight, I think the formation suited him because he could sit back and let others attack. In a 442 he needs to get involved in attacking and doesn't tonight with Hyam and Bishop attacking and our fullbacks going forward he could sit back
    Sammon - 7 - Clearly not the most talented of players but he worked very hard and I really like the runs he makes, it gives us more options upfront and creates space for others, sometimes I feel Murphy and McGoldrick don't do that
    McGoldrick - 6 - Fairly poor game for him tonight should've put Sammon in for a tap in
    Murphy - 8 - Worked very hard for the team and really looks like he's got that bit of knowhow now, he knows how to use his body and play the defender,also showed some nice bursts of pace, hate to say it but he looks like he's a bit of Grunt Hog to him

As for the subs, didn't feel they did alot but it's hard to come on when you're on the back foot. Was slightly dissapointed Ambrose let his man go a few times.

2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Hmm, agree with most ptc but Berra the most solid CB you have seen for Ipswich? I may be doing you a massive (age) injustce here but did you never see the likes of Beattie, Hunter, Butcher, Osman and more recently Mr Arm up, flag up, your offside, Mowbray?

Thought back 4 were pretty solid all game, as was Gerks.
    Thought Exskuse was ok today
    Hyam Excellent
    Bish steady, a few good touches, turns etc but tended to be on the fringes a tad
    Murphy worked his nadgers off and thought he was v good
    Sammon put n a good shift and kept their defence on their toes, played well
    Dids looked poor but put that down to lack of games, hope he is not sulking!!
    MM and TC got it right today, apart from bringing on Bru, i have seen him a couple of times and to me he looks soooo weak and offers nothing!!

3. itfcptc

Unfortunately I was not around when those names were playing. I saw Mowbray who was great for us and a superb leader but Berra just looks so solid he makes defending look easy, he never goes the for the spectacular tackle. Players like McGreal, McCauley were probs more gifted but he is just solid and unspectacular

4. Spanish

Ah, sorry ptc, had you older than you obviously are!!

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Blimey PTC I never realised that I have been arguing with a 12 year old all these years! <laugh>

6. itfcptc

clearly that's because i must give that sense of wisdom <laugh>

or a just i sound like a cynical old man :steam:

7. johnnywarksmoustache

You're a valued contributor on here mate nonetheless! <ok>

You keep us old tossers on our toes!

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Think we need an age check!

9. johnnywarksmoustache

My first Town game was 1972 against Liverpool at Portman Road.

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

My first was Grimsby in a cup....I think.

11. johnnywarksmoustache

Must have been memorable then! <laugh>

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

My over riding memory is of three teenage Grimsby skinheads giving the Ipswich ball boy grief.

14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

And I believe a certain john Warky scored...

15. itfcptc

could make a good thread...

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Hoppers first game was back in 1957 so he told me... <whistle>

17. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Only caught the last ten minutes commentary,but sounds like we were hanging on a bit at the end.
    My first Town game was in 1971 or '72 against Derby or Stoke-sorry if that sounds a bit vague but I was only 7 or 8!

18. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

My first game was Town v Arsenal in 81.. We lost 2-0. Stood on milk crate to see game and got autograph from Eric Gates.. Happy memories..

19. Spanish

My first game was in 1975/76, cant remember anything about it but it must have been good as it got me hooked!!

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Excellent win last night...9 pts from 3, can we make it 12 this week-end for our best run for years! There is a confidence and team spirit about this team that is very heartening. Would Henshall have come on and made a difference?

Ok all you young uns..my first match was 1959...stood on a wooden box whole match and paid a bob. And I too went to that to that marvellous Lpol match Warky......non-stop from Far East straight to PR without going home first!

I will def be driving up to Suffolk in October as we haven't seen or experienced such highs for many a year,eh. And someone owes me a pint or three!

Well done MM and all the boys for getting it right on the night.