1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan go into Administration

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by CafcFactsStats, Jul 1, 2020.

1. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Ouch. Poor Wigan.

On the pitch they are well clear of danger.
    But I assume it will be a 10 point deduction for them.
    That'll put them 5 points below us I think.

And I don't suppose they'll be the last to go under this season.

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

CL saying it would be an automatic 12 point deduction. Whether it occurs this season is a matter for debate as the season has extended. But the sad fact is that a lot of local businesses are going to be shafted, here, as will I'm sure the club and the fans.

I read on CL that Wigan had been taken over four weeks ago. WTF? How does a takeover by a new owner drag them into administration so quickly? Given what happened to us in january, and the continuing lack of any clarity regarding who is actually going to put money in now as the current 'owner' doesn't seem to have the funds needed, this should be a wake up call for ourselves, although as a lot of supporters have found lately, there is very little the fans can actually do about this sort of financial attack.

However, this should at least be another mirror for the EFL to examine itself in. How the new owners manage to damage Wigan so quickly after taking over, as well as all the stuff going on at the Valley suggests they need a major reform plus some new powers.

And it is about time we had some real reform about wages in the EFL. The current model is clearly not sustainable, and the huge debts are making a lot of clubs vulnerable to shysters and crooks (Bury FC being the best example).

4. Whats up Doc

Whats up Doc Well-Known Member

12 point deduction. Poor buggers, wouldn’t feel happy if we stayed up at their expense now

Ken Shabby likes this.
  5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

They are 8 points above 22nd, in a good run of form like yourselves and have a much better goal difference than the bottom 6. Even with a 12 point deduction it is not inconceivable that they could avoid the drop.

By the way, a very well managed performance last night. Although an awful game to watch you were worth your point. <ok>

6. Ken Shabby

I confess when I saw this my initial reaction was 'great, someone else underneath us' but that was an ar$€0/e reaction for which I feel bad. No pleasure in watching other fans potentially lose their club while a bunch of investors clean up the assets. I would really take no pleasure in finishing above Wigan given this - it's no basis to run football. Besides Wigan are on a good run of form - they could conceivably beat this. Fingers crossed someone at the EFL shows a bit of common sense.

7. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

No sympathy for the club, I feel sorry for the businesses being knocked as a result.

Sympathy for the fans obviously.

8. Ken Shabby

People in glass houses mate.

Have a look at our owners during the last twelve months and think 'there but for the grace of god...'

9. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Not sure if I heard it right from the TV but Wigan may be challenging the points deduction.
    Was there a vote among Championship Clubs on the subject of re-starting the League? Or was it just an EFL decision.

If there was a vote among the Championship Clubs and Wigan voted in favour of the restart, I don't see that they have a case in any legal challenge.

But if there was a vote and Wigan voted against (but were obliged to accept a majority decision) or if re-starting the Championship was done without consulting the Clubs, Wigan might have a case for saying they would not have gone into administration at all if the season was not re-started.

If Wigan could say they've only gone into administration because of the long football lockdown and the extraordinary conditions imposed on the re-started season (assuming they did not vote in favour of the restart), then the Club may have a legitimate claim that a points deduction is unfair.

Any other Club that goes into administration from this point on might be able to make the same case (assuming they did not vote in favour of a re-start).

I'm not saying they would win such an argument in court.
    But what happens if (let's say) four or five more Championship Clubs go into administration in July, and they all get deducted 12 points?

It would make the league table almost meaningless.
    Teams who performed poorly on the pitch for months on end might end up mid-table, while others who have performed far better could be relegated - which will distort League One next season.

And not every Club that goes into administration necessarily does so because it has been carelessly over-spending. If CAFC were to go into administration now, over-spending would certainly not be the reason.

10. CafcFactsStats

11. CafcFactsStats