1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 2005-2012

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by THFC6061, Nov 1, 2012.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Tottenham Hotspur host Wigan Athletic at White Hart Lane on Saturday 3rd November 2012 (KO 15:00) in a Matchday 10 Premier League game of the 2012-13 season.

Spurs come into the match in 4th place in the Table with 17 points, while Wigan are 15th in the Table on 8 points.

This will be the 16th time the two teams have met since Wigan Athletic gained promotion to the Premier League in the 2005-06 season.

Wigan Athletic were formed in 1932 after the demise of Wigan Borough and they gained their Football League status in 1978.

The first meeting between the two clubs came at Wigan's JJB Stadium in November 2005 and resulted in a 2-1 win for Spurs with goals from Robbie Keane and Edgar Davids. Wigan's goal was scored by Lee McCulloch late in the game.

The reverse fixture at White Hart Lane in February 2006 was a 2-2 draw with Tottenham's goals coming from Mido and Jermain Defoe and Wigan's from Andreas Johansson who had put the Lancashire club ahead twice.

Spurs also took four points off Wigan in the 2006-07 season with a 3-1 home win in November 2006 with goals from Jermain Defoe, Dimitar Berbatov and Aaron Lennon after Wigan's Henri Camara had put the Lattics ahead.

The points were shared in a 6-goal thriller at the JJB Stadium in April 2007 with a goal from Dimitar Berbatov and a Robbie Keane brace for Spurs while Emil Heskey, Leighton Baines and Paul Scharner were on the scoresheet for Wigan.

Tottenham Hotspur once again took four Premier League points off Wigan in the 2007-08 season with a 4-0 win at the Lane in November 2007. Jermaine Jenas scored twice and there were also goals for Aaron Lennon and Darren Bent.

Dimitar Berbatov scored for Spurs in the 1-1 draw at Wigan in April 2008 with Emil Heskey grabbing the equaliser.

The 2008-09 season saw Wigan take four points after a goalless draw at White Hart Lane and a 1-0 win in January 2009 thanks to Maynor Figueroa injury time winner.

Spurs beat Wigan in the FA Cup third round that season 3-1 with a brace of goals from Roman Pavlyuchenko and one from Luka Modric. Wigan's goal was scored by Henri Camara.

Maximum points were taken by Spurs in the 2009-10 season after a massive 9-1 home win in November 2009, which saw Jermain Defoe become only the third player after Alan Shearer and Andy Cole to score five goals in a Premier League match. There were also goals from Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon, Niko Krajcar and David Bentley. Wigan's goal was scored by Paul Scharner. Amazingly enough, Spurs only led 1-0 at half-time and the eight goals scored in the second half by Spurs all came within 39 minutes.

Jermain Defoe's goal and a brace from Roman Pavlyuchenko saw Spurs to a 3-0 win at Wigan in February 2010.

2010-11 was another good one for Wigan, who took four points off Spurs. They won 1-0 at White Hart Lane in August 2010 with a second half goal from Hugo Rodallega. The match at the DW Stadium was goalless.

The away fixture earlier last season in September 2011 resulted in a 2-1 win from Spurs with goals from Rafael van der Vaart after just 3 minutes and Garerth Bale after 23 minutes. Wigan pulled a goal back through Mohamed Diame five minutes into the second half, but had Steve Gohouri sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

Spurs went two goals up from Gareth Bale and Luka Modric in the first half of the match at White Hart Lane in January 2012 and Bale added a third goal before James McArthur scored 10 minutes from time to make it Tottenham 3-1 Wigan.

Overall, Spurs have won 8 of the 15 matches played so far with Wigan winning 2 and 5 matches drawn.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Wigan Athletic Matches 2005-2012

They Played for Spurs & Wigan...

Mark Bowen
    Michael Brown
    Pascal Chimbonda
    Erik Edman
    Alex Hunter (with Borough)
    David Gwilan Jones
    Hossam Mido
    John Moran (with Borough)
    Wilson Palacios
    Reto Ziegler

2. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Fantastic! Great trip down memory lane, many thanks (I think) THFC6061. I'm trying to remember which game Camara scored a pearler against SPurs - I think it was 2006? Makes no odds, we still lost.

Are we going to suffer a backlash to your LC exit at Norwich I wonder? Certainly we'll be fielding a very different side to the one that saw us go out so embarassingly to Bradford. We're getting back to the football that saw us end last season so well - but London just isn't a happy hunting ground for us. I think as long as we avoid a tonking I'll be happy. And as long as we batter the Baggies the following week.

3. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

I've just bean talking with my mate about the score at white hart lane on Saturday and we reckon 1-o to the latics and kone to get the goal because he`s scored 4 goals in his last seven outings and so confident is this bit of brain storming that we are going to put a bet on it down at the local betting shop is this the words of a mad person or educated guess :emoticon-0112-wonde

4. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

16/1 the 1-0 win and 10/1 Kone to score what would be the only goal of the game? We'll meet at The Raj and go on from there?

:)

we're sixes to win even - you could hedge your mad bet and go for a Wigan win and Kone to score first and you'd still get sixties.

Wigan capable of doing mad stuff but I won't be betting on them today. The bookies have got it about right. I'll be made up if we get something but London is not a happy hunting ground for us.

5. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I really hope you had a fiver on 1-0 - very nice little earner (but who could have picked Watson as scorer!)

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You completely deserved the win too, fair play lads, not many come to the Lane to try and win, usually sit back and play for the draw. Though one sour point was Al-Habsi's time wasting, never agree with any team doing it. But in fairness that had no baring on our performance, we were sh*t and out played by a far better team on the day. All the best for the season, you're actually the only club I wish to do well (providing it doesn't affect Spurs!!!).

7. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Do you work in a betting shop per chance HP you seem to know what your talking about and the odds :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Me and my mate always have a flutter on the footy at the weekend - we touched llucky yesterday he insisted we include a Wigan win (an got 8/1), I picked draws at Fulham Sunderland and Swansea so only the maccams screwed up my accy. Loads of winning singles though - still got a QPR win and Ncastle draw on the slip today. you and your mate did have a couple quid on the correct score I hope? Let me know what your tips are in the future!

Thanks for the good wishes spursorsex, we were probably as stunned as you. It feels like we're getting back to the standard of play we ended last season with. There have been plenty of signs of it - Everton, Stoke, WHU - but the difference always seems to be our confidence. If a team has an off day - like you did yesterday - it gives our fragile confidence a chance to grow and then we can compete with anyone.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

To be honest mate I wasn't stunned by the result, just the performance of our players. You guys have up and down results when here at WHL, I think the last 4 years has ended up as win for Spurs, win for Wigan, win for Spurs and now win for Wigan. So even before the match I was expecting a good game, just wasn't expecting it to be so one sided. Bar our header that McCarthy cleared off the line, I don't remember a clear cut chance for us.
    With Martinez in charge I don't think you have anything to worry about, I rate him as one of the best in the league and was one of the managers I very much would've been happy with to have replaced Harry (though I never wanted Harry gone, was disgusted at his sacking).

All the best <ok>