1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Athletic v Norwich City - Predictions

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by yellowcanary, Aug 7, 2011.

1. yellowcanary

yellowcanary Member

I was just wondering how you all think we will do at wigan next saturday, i am going for a 2.0 win for us i think we will surprise alot of people in the premier league.

2. Rubik's Tube

Rubik's Tube Member

I agree that we will probably surprise a lot of people this year, but I have to say I don't think we will surprise Wigan. They got hammered by Blackpool on the first day of the season last year, so I think Martinez and the majority of their players will know first hand the importance of not under-estimating newly promoted teams!

I'm going for a 2-2 draw.

3. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I will go for a 2-1 win for the Yellow & Green army. Wigan has never been a good hunting ground in the past for us (with the odd exception) but I think we can nick this one <ok>

4. Rubik's Tube

Rubik's Tube Member

Thai- as moderator is there any way you could make this thread appear on the Wigan forum too- I would be interested to see their predictions and I'm sure they would be interested to see ours?!

5. ThaiCanary

Think the ony way to do that would be to start a new thread, can maybe merge this one with it. I will start a new thread <ok>

6. ThaiCanary

With the new season neary upon on, what are your predictions for this opening game?

7. Rubik's Tube

Rubik's Tube Member

Wigan fans might be interested to know a bit about us as we will be new to them...

We got promoted with a very potent attack and a fairly poor defence. We primarily played the diamond formation. Our strengths were undoubtedly our team ethic and our self-belief (we won a number of goals with last minute winners and finished most of our drawn games pressing forward searching for a winner). Paul Lambert is an outstanding young manager who has performed miracles since he took over when we were in league one.

During this transfer window we have made seven new signings- all of which represent the very best that the rest of the Championship and LEague One had to offer last year. James Vaughan (from Everton) and De Laet (loan from Man Utd) are probably two of the highest profile signings we have made. I'm personally most excited by Pilkington and Bennett, both very highly rated wingers who give us the option of playing a traditional 4-4-2 formation. As a squad we lack any real premier league experience but appear to have a talented squad who Lambert is likely to fill with self-belief. Our danger men in the last two years have been Grant Holt and Wes Hoolahan.

Our pre-season is now completed-
    0-0- Southend
    0-1- Crystal Pallace
    3-0- Coventry
    1-1- Real Zaragoza
    3-0- Parma

8. Kent canary

Kent canary Well-Known Member

An edgy 2-1 win with the winner coming in the 95th minute. Surman and Bennett.

9. Willa Pond

Willa Pond Active Member

Newly promoted sides are usually at their most dangerous early on and Wigan haven't improved their team in the off season (IMHO) so I'm going for a win for Norwich. 1:2.

10. Canariez

Canariez Member

1-3 Norwich

11. Kenny Foggo on the Wing!!!

Wigan Athletic 1 (One) Norwich City 2 (Two)

12. Exile

Exile Member

For the opening game, I'd gladly take a draw away from home, but the loss of N'zogbia could be significant. Tight game, but I think we might nick it, 1-2 City.

13. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

James McCarthy is a massive doubt for next saturday after getting injured in there last friendly against villareal today...

I'm going for a 2-2 draw, hope for a win though to make the trip worth while :)

14. ChrisAcle08

ChrisAcle08 Active Member

Wigan are a real Jeckyl and Hide team. They are capable of playing some really good football but can also look very amateurish at times too. I hope the latter turns out against us on Saturday, however, like has been stated by others, I agree that they will not be underestimating us one bit after the Blackpool debacle last year.

Therefore you could argue it comes down to the ability of the two 'teams' and unless they pull some rabbits out of the hat in the transfer market this week, the loss of some of their key players makes it a very, very even match up. A match that could be so tight that it is decided by one particular moment like a controversial refereeing decision (speaking of which did anybody else see that clown Durso fail to give the most blatant penalty I have ever seen yesterday - what an idiot).

Therefore, if lady luck is on our side, I am going to go for a 2-1. Come on you Yellows.

15. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Wigan to scrape a lucky win 1-0, because they're a bunch of ****s.

16. NaaaridgeBoy

NaaaridgeBoy Member

HT - Wigan 1 - 0 Norwich. Victor Moses.
    FT - Wigan 1 - 2 Norwich. Holt brace with the winner 90+2, just to continue with tradition!

17. sonjack5

sonjack5 New Member

I hear you are bringing a lot of support with you on saturday so should be a great atmos.. I have to go with a home win by a couple of goals maybe 3-1 I just think we will be more alert about promoted sides after the spanking we got from Blackpool last year. Anyway good luck for the season (after sat of course)

18. Joel Warnes

Joel Warnes New Member

Lads, remember Blackpool 1st day of season last year? Everyone wrote them of saying they were a joke- like people have been with us.
    Blackpool beat Wigan at Wigan 4-0.
    Im going 4-0 to the Canaries.
    OTBC.

19. brynlatics

brynlatics New Member

sorry norwich, but I can't see anything but 2-0 to us- we are much better than everybody thinks,even without charlie n'zogbia.....plus, I do have a thing against norwich- came to an away game against you lot a few years ago, by coach- we were crap- well beaten 2-0 and the bloody coach driver got lost comin' home-missed last orders in mad jacks!!

20. Dazz19

Dazz19 Active Member

A highly entertaining 1-1 draw. City to dominate the first half, Wigan to dominate the second half.