1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Why is BBC4 TV such a brilliant DOCUMENTARY channel ?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by tigerscanada, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Used to be very grand, the largest hotel in Europe when it was built. Those days, as you discovered, are long gone though there has been a bit of an improvement in recent years apparently.

2. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

It's a wonderful building and must have once been a fantastic place to stay. Brittania Hotels use a model of fill every room by charging next to nothing and make money at the bar. Keep costs to a minimum and put up with the complaints. It seems to work for them.

I've stayed a few times and really enjoy it, because a) I like Scarborough, b) I'm happy in the company of aged eccentrics and c) I love a weekend away which comes in at under fifty quid all in. However the food is from another planet. I still have nightmares about the breakfast buffet; sausage, egg and bacon which was of alien derivative I have no doubt whatsoever.

3. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

We stayed in the hotel a couple of years back before meeting up with Scarbs in Filey.

Smashing multi-tribute act on for the delectation of the blue rinse coach trip they had in.

Uncomfy bed.

Think Scarbs asked me to nick him one of the coffee tables.

EDIT: It was The Royal not The Grand, I checked but my thoughts were right about the table.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Kempton likes this.
  4. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

"The hotel was designed by the Hull architect Cuthbert Brodrick,[1] who was better known as the designer of several Leeds buildings, and when completed in 1867 was one of the largest hotels in the world, as well as one of the first giant purpose-built hotels in Europe. The hotel's distinctive yellow (also referred to as tawny) brickwork was made locally in Hunmanby and is complemented with traditional red brickwork around the windows. The architectural sculpture was executed by Burstall and Taylor of Leeds.[2]

The building is designed around the theme of time: four towers to represent the seasons, 12 floors for the months of the year, 52 chimneys symbolise the weeks, and originally there were 365 bedrooms, one for each day of the year. Following the renovation the room count was reduced to 280. The hotel itself is in the shape of a 'V' in honour of Queen Victoria. The hotel's heyday was arguably during Victorian times, when wealthy holidaymakers made up the establishment's clientele. As Scarborough was a famous spa town, the building's baths originally included an extra pair of taps, so guests could wash in seawateras well as fresh.[3]

The design has similarities to contemporaries of the period that were stylised as "French Second Empire mode".[4] The windows on the ground and first floors are round headed. Those on the first floor also have a continuous iron rail balcony. All first to third floor windows have a cornice over the top denoting the floor boundary. The Eaves level windows are located between the projecting brackets for the eaves. The attic windows are squared dormer on the lower level and rounded on the upper. The attic levels, being part of the roof are covered in slate. On the narrow end of the building there is domed structure between the two towers. Facing the sea, the three basement levels can be seen clearly extended the full length of the building. A glass-enclosed terrace has been added on top of this.[5] The building was first listed on 8 June 1973 with number 1243163 under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest."

FACTS

Ditton Minor likes this.
  5. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Watching that now :emoticon-0148-yes:

6. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

BBC2 rather than 4 - but how good and heart warming is The Repair Shop? I love it.

7. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

There's something very cathartic watching craftsmen (and women) at work, it's a wonderful programme.

8. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Britain's Greatest Pilot, Captain Winkle Brown on now.

tigerscanada and Kempton like this.
  9. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Excellent documentary. Remarkable man. :emoticon-0148-yes:

10. City Man

tigerscanada likes this.

11. lammytv200

lammytv200 Well-Known Member

Forever pure about Israeli team Beitar signing 2 muslim players.

12. Chillo

Chillo Well-Known Member

that dad dancing at 53 seconds is what most of us punk and post punk fans danced like at welly and even into the mod revisited fad it was still done
    yet no one called it dad dancing back then

from roland gift in his akrylyk vyktymz to sting of the police and the ska rip off groups specials selector the beat madness a lot of them danced like that, it was just the dance of the time.

the worst dancing I can think of is the lead singer on this song

13. Chillo

Chillo Well-Known Member

and I suppose one day this will be called dad dancing, if it isn't already

14. Chillo

Chillo Well-Known Member

I saw both of them on bbc 4 btw

15. City Man

About 50 secs in...the Top demonstrating post ironic dad dancing with guitars

16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Darkness ( Those who kill ) currently on BBC 4 is excellent if you like Scandi Noir

17. tigerscanada

Only if it comes with a birch tree whip :emoticon-0105-wink:

18. tigerscanada

3 1/2 hours of Fleetwood Mac tonight on Beeb 4. (3 separate programs). Given they have always been my favourite band, I'd say not to be missed. Starts 9 pm GMT.

Edit: Correction - starts @ 8 p.m. Ist hour is 3rd of a 3 part series. Sorry about that - but it'll be on iPlayer no doubt ?

and of course, the Welsh (not Welch) Witch...

reprise...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Did anybody watch The Detectorists on BBC 4?

20. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

tigerscanada likes this.