1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Why is BBC4 TV such a brilliant DOCUMENTARY channel ?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by tigerscanada, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Quill

Quill Bastard

The Third Man is near the very top when it comes to noir.

Probably my fave film involving Welles, just edging out Touch of Evil.

Treble likes this.
  2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

In the screenplay both Harry Lime and Holly Martin are British. Noel Coward was the one originally under consideration for the Harry Lime part.
    Apparently Welles got on everyone’s nerves on the set. His famous speech was based on what someone else’s aid, which is why he begins its”As the man said...”. Accounts, including that of Welles, differ from where he got it.

Another great actor in it, Wilfred Hyde White. I remember seeing him appear in American TV series where an aging Hyde White used to give the Americans acting lessons whilst, like most great actors, appearing not to act, achieving more with slight gestures than their desperate emoting.

newlandcasual likes this.
  3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Hyde white really??
    Wooden as in Buck Rogers

4. Barchullona

He was a great actor. You didn’t have as long and varied career as he did otherwise.

newlandcasual and tigerscanada like this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Just came across your post. I love The Third Man but my favourite noir by some way is The Maltese Falcon.

The Big Sleep was on a couple of days ago, it's recorded and I won't put it on until I have a couple of hours all to myself.

My favourite Welles film is Citizen Kane. You watch every stage of his life thinking the best and worst of him and then right at the end, the reveal about Rosebud and suddenly the whole film, his whole life, falls into place... just brilliant!

6. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Spoiler

7. Help!

Help! Well-Known Member

Runner, surely?

dennisboothstash likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Fair point.

Tbf the film is like nearly 80 years old and a masterpiece. If someone hasn't seen it by now, they only have themselves to blame <whistle>

dennisboothstash likes this.
  9. dennisboothstash

Chazz was saving it to watch with his new girlfriend though. Old romantic picking a film the same age as her...

10. Quill

Quill Bastard

People say Citizen Kane should've won Best Picture in 1941, but they're wrong, The Maltese Falcon should've.

Citizen Kane is a technical masterpiece, pretty much creating modern film through popularising so many techniques, but there's something about it which just puts it lower in my mind, and even I am unsure exactly what it is. I just don't enjoy it like many other films of the time.

My fave noir is probably Blade Runner, though that is neo-noir rather than classic noir. In terms of classic noir, my fave is probably The Big Sleep.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Funny thing is The Big Sleep was on a couple of days ago on TCM iirc and I recorded it, but will ONLY watch it when I have a couple of hours all to myself!

I watched a documentary on CK and you're right about the ground-breaking techniques. The snow effect in the snowshaker scene and the way the camera comes in from above through the window (the window was specially made to pull apart as the camera zoomed in).

I know what you mean about its "watchability" though. I've only seen it twice and there's something about it which makes it a bit of a slog. It's still a great film. I find there are films like that e.g. I can't watch Saving Private Ryan but it's still an exceptional film.

The Maltese Falcon on the other hand is a fcking dream for anyone who likes a clever script and in particular a cutting, clever dialogue throughout which imo is unrivalled by any film. I could watch that film again and again.

Great shout on Blade Runner. I'm trying to think of a neo-noir - LA Confidential? Memento? They would be mine.

Quill likes this.
  12. Help!

Help! Well-Known Member

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head by calling it a ‘technical masterpiece’. For years it was regularly voted the greatest film of all time. And it created the template for other ‘great’ multi-Oscar winning films with excellent cinematography etc. It’s admirable and deservedly critically lauded.

But... like many of it’s ‘great’ successors, it’s got a stone cold heart and, whilst easy to admire, is difficult to love.

Like you say I’d choose The Third Man over it every time. Less technically proficient, but still genuinely shocking a lifetime later.

Quill likes this.
  13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Btw I haven't read through the thread but agree with the OP about BBC4. The documentaries are excellent.

Though the best I've seen this year was the Planets on BBC2.

Edit: Just looked on my Sky HD planner for BBC4 documentaries still saved on there...

Armada: 12 days to save England
    American History's Biggest Fibs
    British History's Biggest Fibs
    Roy Orbison: Love Hurts
    The Crusades
    Line of Duty (first 4 series)
    The Silk Road
    The Ottomans

(and those are just the ones I haven't deleted yet)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    tigerscanada likes this.
  14. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

I'd go with Burton et al and "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf" for noir category. Then, I don't see more than 1 film every 5 years .

15. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

A BBC documentary from north of the border about a Fort William FC. Worst team in Britain (ended last season on -7 points) but the program is quite heartwarming showing a small group of people determined to carry on a community football team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00079g9

16. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

sabretail likes this.
  17. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Plum likes this.
  18. dennisboothstash

I agree

I actually watched a documentary on the bay City Rollers on BBC4 last night!

Mrs Tash wanted to see it and it was quite interesting actually. Particularly the claim (by the Ramones manager) that the Ramones copied/paid homage to their style (in terms of uniformed dressing) and one of their songs.

19. Professor Tiger

Professor Tiger Active Member

The documentary on Woodstock on Friday night with its footage of attendees and performers was amazing. I was too young at the time to fully appreciate the magnitude and importance of the event.

newlandcasual likes this.
  20. Barchullona

There was the film on which us right at the top of any film noir list on last Friday, Double Indemnity. Great plot, great actors.

Quill likes this.