1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who would you prefer to come down?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by ccfcremotesupport, Apr 25, 2022.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Just thinking about yesterday's results and Everton slipping into the bottom 3.
    Who would fare better in the championship?
    I feel Burnley are more a championship type team and would do better. Everton could even implode.
    Who would be more likely to go back up?

I know Everton have a game in hand, but that's no good if you're not winning.

clingo likes this.
  2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All of the current bottom 4 would be strong next season - it's like being asked if you want to be stabbed or shot.......<laugh>

Here's a different slant though, and one I would prefer.

If Leeds don't get something out of their game at Palace tonight, they could be likely candidates as well. They've got Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea to play next - that could be a big, big problem for them. I don't like gobby yank Jesse Marsch anyway......<laugh>

clingo likes this.
  3. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I don't want it to be Everton as it just seems wrong to see them anywhere other than in the top flight. No particular affiliation to them but it would just further upset my sense of order. What's happened too poor Oldham has already made me a bit sad especially after the demise of Bury.
    I've no other preference as to who comes down as I don't see us challenging for a top two spot next season. Even a flukey top 6 finish is unlikely as we redefine ourselves.
    Ah what the hell. Send Leeds down. They're always good for a bit of banter.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

<ok>

5. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

I used to have a soft spot for Everton as a kid due to the Welsh influence of Southall, Van Den Hauwe and Ratcliffe.

As I've gotten older though that affiliation has waned and having gone up to Goodison for my only visit to see us beaten 2-1 in an unfortunate manner, then being subjected to "swim away" motions by some of their fans as we filed out, it's pretty much vanished.
    Their fans come across as yet another "big club" entitled mob...

Therefore, as much as I think in some respects it would be a shame I'd rather them come down than Burnley, who I see very much as a reflection of ourselves in so many ways. Sacking Dyche did dent their standing in my mind though.

BUT, I'm with the others in that, if I could pick someone to drop from the choices presented then I'd rather Leeds out of the three.

Oldsparkey and clingo like this.
  6. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Villa on free fall 1 point from the last 5 games.

If I could pick who goes down Leeds are 1st on my list, easy 6 points for us.

But I think that the bottom 3 as of now, will go down.

7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Can’t agree with you on this Clingo.
    No club has the right as you infer to be in the top flight. A club has to earn it. If they’re in the bottom 3 at the end then they deserve to go down.

As OS suggests all the bottom 4 will on paper at least be strong next season but so we thought would WBA this.

We all recall Newcastle flat track bullying the division recently. Whether Everton would do as surely they’d lose all their top players is open to debate. But presumably they’d be able to buy enough quality players to ensure a quick return as it would be unthinkable for them to hang around in our league given they are close to building their new 60,000 stadium.

clingo likes this.
  8. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Everton and Arsenal are the only 2 clubs not to have played outside the top division, including the old Division One, since joining.

As the Arse aren't coming down (yet), I'm all for a bit of history being made, so Everton for the drop.

Burnley can come down next season.

9. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Of course you're absolutely correct and in the reality of a hard world, Darwin prevails. I was speaking purely from a personal standpoint which inevitably means a consideration of history.

ninian opinion likes this.
  10. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Actually I believe Everton did drop out of the top flight, I believe just for a year or so some time just after WWII?

Will need to Google it to be sure in all honesty.

I'm not sure if Arsenal may have a similar record?

Always thought Everton had spent more seasons in top flight than anyone else but Arsenal held the longest unbroken stay at the top table?? Could be wrong though.

clingo likes this.

11. BluefromBridgend

You are right Brizzle. Teach me to believe what someone tells me. They went down 50/51, returned 53/54 and had been down 29/30 previously returning the next year.

Arsenal have been ever present since 19/20.

The correct terminology is that they are the 2 longest serving sides in the top flight with Arsenal having the longest uninterrupted stay.

I would still be happy to see them go down, just for the sake of it.

If it happens then Arsenal and Liverpool will be the 2 oldest stagers.

Arsenal can go down next season.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    BrizzleBluebird likes this.
  12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

So who's coming down to join us now? Norwich and Watford have had it, but that last place on the trap door is still available.

Leeds lost the first of those 3 tough games on the weekend to Man City - Arsenal away and then Chelsea next up for them.

Everton beating Chelsea yesterday along with Burnley's recent run of good results has really opened it right up. It's got to be between those three and Leeds are currently favourites.

I remember us a couple of years back in a similar position with 4 or 5 games to go. I think it was between us, Brighton, Burnley and Southampton to fill the 3rd drop spot - I think Fulham and Huddersfield had also had it by then.

clingo likes this.
  13. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS<cheers>

ccfcremotesupport and clingo like this.
  14. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Bielsa completely changed my opinion of Leeds but he's gone now so I'm with William.
    Whoever comes down will have much money and will probably bounce straight back. Though I do think Norwich may struggle this time around.

15. BluefromBridgend

Despite them beating the Chavs I would still prefer Everton for the drop. A different name in the Championship.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

We will struggle next season. Top ten maybe.No disrespect to Dean Smith but Farke was brilliant at getting us up. We just can't stay there. We are the new Boing boing club.

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Look forward to playing you next season - as long as Leroy Fer isn't still with you...........<laugh>

(it still sticks in my memory)

18. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Always good to play Cardiff. In many ways I prefer the clubs in the second tier.

19. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

It’s still a tough one to call. Burnley have got the bit between their teeth post Dyche. Everton have the quality and as shown yesterday some needed grit (and fortune) whereas Leeds seem a bit on edge.
    Leeds at present look the more likely to drop.

20. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Leeds are 2 points ahead and have Chelsea & Brighton at home plus Arsenal & Brentford away.

Everton have Brenford & Palace at home plus Leicester, Watford & Arsenal away.

Will the 2 point be enough for Leeds?