1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who would Barca play after Independence?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by E.T. Fairfax, Oct 3, 2017.

1. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Catalan sports minister Gerard Figueras last week said that Barcelona may be able to play in another country if the region achieves independence from Spain.

"In the case of independence, Catalan teams in La Liga Barcelona, Espanyol and Girona will have to decide where they want to play - in the Spanish league or a neighbouring country like Italy, France or the (English) Premier League," he said.

**** OFF!!!!!

2. E.T. Fairfax

"In the case of independence, the club and the members would have to decide in which league we would play," Bartomeu (Barca club president) told reporters after a board meeting.

Cheeky bastard! Surely they would have to start a new league up in their new country. That would be the obvious consequence of gaining independence surely. Barca should have no say whatsoever!

3. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Why **** OFF mate?

It will be interesting what happens to the tax rates of the players. I think Messi et al pay a flat 20%. If they compete in our league should they align to our tax rates?

If not, would they be getting an unfair advantage because they can afford better players?

4. E.T. Fairfax

Coming from somebody who believes that Swansea, Cardiff etc shouldnt be playing in the English league (not that I want them kicked out, that would be obviously unfair), then the idea of Barca assuming that they can just choose which foreign league they want to play in is just wrong. They shouldnt even be allowed to stop in the Spanish league as far as Im concerned (which they will, too many rich people would loose too much money if they were kicked out to form their own league)

5. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

This. The immediate idea of leaving the Spanish league would titillate them as putting two fingers up but ultimately they would be hugely damaged by it and miss the rivalries - if Newcastle moved to play in the Spanish league it would be interesting for a year and then I'd slowly realise than playing midtable Spanish sides I've no emotions towards just wasn't as interesting.

Catalan Dragons do play over here though...

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

They can play in ****ing Spain or play 4 matches a season imo. <laugh>

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Is anybody really bothered where a Spanish club would play in Barcelona's predicament.
    If they take they're ball home and get independence then they should end up in the smallest league in the world.
    Dont think the Barcelona board have thought this through properly.
    Its a bit like Celtic and Rangers thinking the English league are gagging for them to join which is blatantly untrue.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

On a serious note. It's bad crack what's happened to the Catalan region for centuries and the crack that's going on now with the polling station attacks but there's no way they should be allowed to pick and choose their league. Barca had their chance to refuse to play but bottled it cause of a 6 point deduction threat. I mean FFS way to not make a stand and to not stand up for your cause. Farcical there's talk of them walking off elsewhere after bottling that. Football never does politics well, this car crash is a prime example why it doesn't imo.

9. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

They'll play in a Catalan league or they'll play in Spain.

Idiotic to float the idea of them coming here.

Wonder where all this leaves the basque country.

10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

gagging for an independence vote i think mate, and i bet they have one

Disco down under likes this.

11. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

In the end politicians will end up doing what they do best and come up with a compromise.
    Some loose Federation that give the regions, all of them, greater autonomy but retaining a central government.

If we recall the Scotland Referendum, the EEC said that Scotland could apply for admittance and IF granted it might take a few years.
    Meanwhile there would be the currency problem.
    And the borders.
    Catalonia would face the same problems.

On the Football front, the Spanish League is ALMOST like the Scottish League (was), with one of two sides likely to win the Title.
    Take one of those away and whats left gets even more meaningless, (Scotland again).
    That League needs Barca and Barca needs that League.

Alternatively, such a breakaway might just be the vehicle to kickstart a European Super League.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  12. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

This is what I was going to suggest. The most likely outcome is that the Catalan teams will remain in the Spanish league system and everything will remain the same. However, the danger is that if one of Europe's super clubs suddenly becomes league-less, the desirability of a European Super League will increase massively for some people. That, in my opinion, could spell a radical alteration of the organisation and character of football across Europe and its unlikely to be to the benefit of the average football fan.

13. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Its bad enough with the Welsh teams - Scots teams not allowed so certainly not the Spaniards - unless money talks

14. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

This will be the catalyst to start the European Super League that has been mooted for years

15. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I actually like the thought of Man u Man c and Chelsea joining a super league the premiership would be better without them, haven't watched motd or European football for years.

polyphemus likes this.
  16. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Basques are ****ing awful, such a turn off.
    They remind me of corsets. Can't stand stockings & sussies either.
    Or hairy fannies, pointy shoes & lasses that don't paint their toe nails.

farnboromackem and Gil T Azell like this.
  17. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

A closed European Super League would Hoover up all the talent and all of the money, away from the remaining domestic leagues. That could spell the end for lower league football in this country.

18. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

F*ck Barca. Couldnt give a flying one about them. Let them go bust, their owner invests in us and we get their players transferred. I may just start liking them if they become our temporary feeder club.

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I hate the idea of a European super league, just seems like ****ing about for the sake of it. The Champions league is fine.

I do however like the idea of Barcelona becoming a joke club that only has their own B team to play against in a league of two.

rooch 3 and Gil T Azell like this.
  20. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov:emoticon-0115-inlov :emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0110-tongu<laugh><laugh>