1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who do you think will get top 4?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

So, we're 6 games in now and from what I have seen, the following will definitely be challenging for the top 4 at the end of the season:

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd (yes, I know they've started poorly but to say they won't be up there is ludicrous)
    Tottenham

That's 7 teams for 4 spots - who's going to make it in your opinion?

My choices:

Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

Probably in that order too - I seriously think Liverpool will be the 'surprise package' of the season (if you can call them that). Arsenal's position is entirely dependent on their injury list however, so if they start getting niggles then I'd push 'pool up to 3rd and have us as 4th - if we can start feeding Soldado more then maybe I'd be more inclined to push us up the table.

Man Utd will be close but I don't think Moyes is going to click with them for a while and by then they could find themselves too far back.

2. Han Shot First

Han Shot First New Member

Chelsea - Despite Mourinho going barmy, they do still have a good side, and plenty of cash to strengthen in January
    Citeh - Brilliant squad, lots of money, Pellegrini's a good manager who will adjust sooner rather than later.
    Arsenal - We're top with a thin squad, but we're a Ramsey injury away from collapse.
    No Idea - 4th could be between 5-6 teams this season. Spurs, Liverpool, United (probably not), Southampton, Everton and Swansea.

If your squad gels quickly, you could battle us for 3rd.
    Liverpool are hamstrung with a talent-less hack of a manager. Good starting 11 though
    United look really poor, Moyes already looks like a man out of his depth. If Rooney or Van Persie gets injured, they're in real trouble.
    Southampton have dark horse potential. A good manager, good squad, no European distractions.
    Everton will have the typical Martinez team defensive frailties, but Lukaku is top drawer, and will get a lot of goals.
    Swansea have dark horse potential, but have the Europa League. If they get knocked out quickly enough, they have a good side and a good manager, 4th could be possible. Plus they've got a few of their difficult games out of the way already.

3. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Why so negative early on in the season? It's not like things have gone badly for us, is it?

4. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

No, absolutely not.

I think it'll be very close - I just think Liverpool will beat us to it this time round.

5. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

I think we need to look at Liverpool as having a first 11 that can compete, but their squad has no where near the depth of any of the top of 5 or 6 from last season (Arsenal aside, who look like an injured striker away from the wheels coming off.) If we add goals to what we have we have we will push for top three, we have strength in depth and we do not concede goals. If the scousers rely on the January window to further strengthen, they are taking a big risk. It is hardly a time renowned for making successful signings. I see them no better than 6th, behind Man U.

6. gaf 71

gaf 71 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, our squad is miles behind yours in terms of depth. As a few have said, our first 11 is competitive, but we are pretty thin beyond that. I think we could challenge for top 4 if we keep everybody fit, which is unlikely.
    My prediction for top 4 is.
    Man City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Chelsea.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

It's still negative, you think it'll be close but we'll miss out :p

It's 6 games in, I don't think we know anymore than we did at the start of the season. If anything we're further from knowing how it'll finish as the start hasn't gone to script.

8. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Chelsea
    Man City

City and Chelsea both have their problems but I still see both teams going on a winning run just after Christmas (or just before) and expect it to be a two horse race.

Arsenal
    in their current form, and with Carzola and Ozil yet to play in the same team, plus the vast majority of their players know the league and are proven (and yes that includes their keeper who is proven to be crap).

Man Utd are going through a terrible run which we all know, and it doesn't look healthy, there is a clear lack of togetherness at the moment and team instructions, but again I expect them to go on a winning run.

Ourselves are capable of being right up there and the only reason I can't say with confidence we will finish top four is because of the fact we still don't know enough about our team, especially under pressure, and there's no guarantee all our players will settle fully or we may have players who go through a poor run of form, so realistically I don't feel we're favourites, yet. But if our players carry on the current points average and Eriksen, Lamela, Soldado and Paulinho live up to their expectations AND Sandro repeats the form of last year before his injury, then we can match Arsenal, but there are many if's.

Liverpool and Everton are outside bets, especially as both clubs now have two of the best strikers available, Liverpool have Suarez. Everton have Lukaku (who by the way is a complete beast of a player, chelsea where mad to let him go). Suarez is capable of doing what Bale done last year (for us) and keeping Liverpool in and around the top four until the season end. Plus neither team have European Football, which can't be ignored so their full focus is on the league.

Reading that back, that just shows how tight I personally view the league and in all honestly that seems to be the general view, as it will be one of the tightest races for the league and top four places in recent times.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Who is able to get Top 4?
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Tottenham

The point is who will do it.

...probably not Newcastle. They bounced off the glass ceiling.

10. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Spurs will be up there for sure, so will Liverpool.

For me it's out of the those two and United because Chelsea, City and Arsenal in theory will be set in stone with the squads and experience they have.

Far too early to say whether Spurs will get top 4 but they're definite capable. I just think the form against the top sides could cost them.

The teams with bigger squads are going to cope better from next month onwards.

11. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Chelsea and city fighting for the title.
    United, Arsenal and spurs fighting for the other 2 spots.
    Liverpool and Everton to be up there, but not quite doing enough.

Two big factors for me this season. -
    1. How united deal with the transition of having a new manager.
    2. How arsenal cope with such a thin squad.

12. Ezio Auditore

Ezio Auditore Member

I think you will finish above us tbh

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Odd choice of username for Pool supporter, unless it hapopens to be your name too?

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The way things are looking after the first few games my initial top predications are way off.

Utd - Look well below par but can never be written off... Or can they?! *dum dum dummmm*
    Arsenal - Strongest first XI in the league in my opinion, squad depth is a problem. Ramsey on fire.
    Chelsea - Very strong squad but looked below par at times, Mata makes them tick.
    Liverpool - Most impressive team so far for me, Sturridge on fire and Suarez returning makes them even stronger.
    City - Another very strong squad, Pellegrini still trying to find best team though.
    Everton - Close knit squad, always give 100%, Martinez sorted out squad depth problem with half of Wigan team.
    Us - Immense at the back, performing well but clear to see we can get a lot better once new signings find their feet.

Prediction for top 4 as of right now (likely to change in another 6 or 7 games though <laugh>):

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Tottenham

Everyone of the 7 times I've mentioned can get a lot better but my predicted top four right now are already looking better than others and have the potential to get much better.

15. My predictions, at this point in time are:-

Spurs
    Arsenal
    City
    Everton

I will review again at Xmas.

16. Spursguru

Spursguru Active Member

-C-Chelsea - Not been playing well, manager doesn't know his first team, Strikers not scorring, Mata wasn't being played, Lukaku gone on load, People should never go back.........still think they will win it.
    City - Looked incredible vs UTD and Newcastle, expecting them to find that form more consistantly...at home at least
    Arsenal - Have been fantastic since we beat them. Have the best midfield in the prem, Giroud is scoring and Ozil is fitting in well. If Giroud stays fit they will be fine.
    Spurs - Goals are an issue, but if Lamela, Paulinho, Townsend and Gylfi can chip in it won't be such an issue. Defence looks very solid atm (bar the predictable Terry header) <grr> 4th and a good run in the cups and Europe will be a good year imo.

Utd - Had no shape in their last two games, look lost, as does the manager, wingers look out of sorts. Can't rely on rooney free kicks and RVP goals for the whole year. Need to ship some players out and bring in Moyes buys to steady the ship, though as he will not be buying like for like in terms of quality that Fergie brought in, this will cement them outside the top 4 untill they get a proper manager.

Liverpool - Look very good at the moment, but I think they will struggle without coutinho, and don't have much depth.

Everton - again look good now, but not certain they will maintain it. Always started badly under moyes, as did wigan, so I think they will drop points around Jan.

17. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

We signed Sturridge and Coutinho last January <whistle>

18. District Line

Forum Moderator

With all due respect, 6 games in I'm not sure how we can start making statements like that.

19. Bucks Blue

Bucks Blue Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm sorry... but... <laugh>

20. District Line

Forum Moderator

Don't bite.