1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who do we think /or hope to be the new manager

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by vinney, Dec 31, 2014.

1. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Ian Wright has already been mentioned and how about Stephen Constantine (for about the 50th time)

2. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Uwe rosler

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  4. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

Mark Stimson at only 25-1!!!! Imagine what would happen if Scally tried to appoint him!

Who is Stephen Constantine?

Of the vaguely possible ones mentioned above I would be reasonably happy with Freedman or Jewell. Hessy 2-1 is also bad odds - there's no way he's going to get the job again.

5. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

Would be very happy to get Rosler, despite his Man City connections!

6. throwoff

throwoff Member

Can only hope we finally get Constantine, the man is probably the most qualified manager outside the top flights of football.

Plus he has already on two occasions said he wants the job.

Sadly it seems he is about to be named Indian National Manager in the coming days, I wish we had gotten him earlier.

7. allbluelenny

allbluelenny Well-Known Member

I see Steve Coppell an old friend of mine is in the mix, he is a very quite man but in my opinion is a great manager.
    For him it would not be too much about the money (salary ) as to what he could spend to improve.
    Another who would be a great asset if we could afford him would be Billie Davis .
    I hope Hess don't keep the job I think it would be another Big step backwards and of no help to the club.
    May I Wish you all a Very Happy and Healthy New Year UTG

8. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Beattie is apparently who we are approaching. The timing of this means the change should be quick before heads can drop.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...nager-after-sacking-peter-taylor-9952364.html

Also when checking the sky bet odds earlier this afternoon, Dennis Wise was odds on. Scally haso said that he is looking for a young flamboyant manager so perhaps Constantine is the one?

Names being mentioned not 12 hours after the dismissal possibly highlights the question people were asking prior to the sack. Who would you replace him with. Onwards and upwards.

9. hullgills

hullgills Member

Hope it is Constantine, he is only a year younger than me at 52, thought I was getting on a bit but if he is "young and flamboyant" there is still hope for me!

10. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Could be Wise and Scally two little s***s together <laugh>
    only joking I really like Wise :emoticon-0127-lipss

11. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Wise and Beattie have been the bookies favourites. According to Sky Sports though we may be giving former Cheltenham boss Mark Yates an interview. Did a reasonable job at Whaddon Road, got them to the Play-Offs twice. The name that I would have said was Hasselbaink but he's in a job. Neal Ardley is another name that has been mentioned and I would be very happy with. Other than that not sure who would fit the young and flamboyant mould. Maybe a recently retired Premier League player could put themselves forward for it.

12. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

First requirement; solid management experience, say about 15 years with notable success in all divisions, Premiership, Championship, Leagues 1 and 2.

Second requirement; international experience both in the UK and abroad especially a track record of working with young players which is such an important attribute at a club with no funds but silly expectations.

Third requirement; the full range of coaching qualifications, plenty of experience of working with young players and the all important contacts at a high level so that a Premiership Manager will always answer the phone to a request to borrow a player and know that that player will be nurtured in the right way.

Fourth requirement; some really exceptional achievements beyond any reasonable expectation. Lets say steering an unfashionable club like Leicester City to lead the Premiership, or to achieve 5 promotions with 4 different clubs. Or maybe (I know this is getting far fetched) to keep a bunch of no-hopers in League 1 in 2013/14.

Fifth requirement. To have the bravery and vision to build a team from scratch over a couple of seasons and to tolerate supporters who not only fail to understand the vision but who have not got the patience to back him for half a season.

Sixth requirement ; the ability to run the playing budget on a shoestring (the sort of experience you might get at Crystal Palace in years gone by, or Bradford a few years back or currently at somewhere like Gillingham---all plain basket cases).

Scally, especially, and all the Gillingham tactical experts whose qualification extends to little more than listening to the clowns providing entertainment seved up as analysis on Match of the Day, should hang their heads in shame.

Just in case anyone does not "get it" the requirements set out above are met by just one person (Peter Taylor) and the irony of comparing his CV to the "midgets" being mentioned in this thread is just beyond belief.

13. throwoff

throwoff Member

Absurd nonsense.

Men like Constantine have a long history of managing all over the world, you want to talk shoe string budgets have a look at Rwanda and Malawi international set ups. Not only does Constantine have a list of qualifications longer than most Premiership managers he actually teaches the FIFA coaching badges to new managers..

We won't get him but eventually a League 2 or 1 side will take the punt and I see big success. I can imagine there are dozens of quality players unknown in the UK in his phone book who would take his arm off to come play in England, not only will they get a great manager they will get some incredible cheap talent as well.

gillslad69 likes this.
  14. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

My vote goes to Duncan Jupp. No honestly, you can look at Taylor and say what if as much as you like Bristol but he HAS been sacked. I can't say for sure what happened in that phone conversation but I have a feeling that it may have mentioned Taylor's honest feelings about Gillingham fans or at the very least the pockets that have been hurling abuse at him for the past couple of home games. Scaly said that he had concerns over how Taylor was treated, his vision did make sense and there is a lot on paper that is great about the plan but as long as it was as defensive as it was the fans were always going to be lacking in patience.

So we are back in the mire and require another manager, we have (thanks to Taylor) a good, young squad with potential to play I am hoping that the new boss can be a bit more willing to take a gamble and go for the throats of opposition. I don't personally expect a history of qualifications and achievements like Taylor but you don't necessarily have to have a list of trophies to have ideas. When Brendan Rodgers was first approached by Watford he was 35 and unproven as a head coach of a club. Why can't we find someone at a larger club who is perhaps deserving of a step up?

15. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Also for Stephen Constantine I can't remember if this video was posted after the last sacking but it is quite interesting.

16. Gil Lingam

Gil Lingam ex-pat

gillslad69 likes this.
  17. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

You are right in your conclusion Gillslad, we do have to turn the page but I am totally convinced that the Vast majority of Gills fans had no idea just what a glittering cv PT had and the bloke in front of my seat in the Medway Stand has for weeks been bellowing at PT and saying what has he ever achieved in football. When I recently pointed out to him that 5 promotions with 4 clubs was a significant achievement he refused to believe me.
    With regard to throwoffs conclusion of absurd nonsense, it is fair to rubbish opinions but irrational to try to rubbish facts and my analysis was very largely based on FACT.
    So far as Mr Constantine is concerned he has excellent academic qualifications but a complete absence of achievement in the UK. The bloke who sits in front of me will slaughter him the first time the opposition scores.
    So, Scally is playing a devious game. It seems the "conversation" was likely to be financial. He knows Gills face a series of winnable games over the next two months before the fixtures get tough. He might as well act now and claim credit for any improvement in results

18. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Steve Constantine would be my number 1 choice, if anyone deserves a chance it's him. We should have gone for him years ago. I'd like us to have someone with new ideas, a bit of drive, be good with the media, interact and engage fans. Our recent managers have had bits of these in abundance but then been totally devoid of others. All potential candidates have pluses and minuses, as everyone has. All I ask is that they give each match a real go. Don't try to hold out for a point and Nick a win. Go for the win.

19. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Well Constantine is not necessarily officially in the India job just yet according to that article although meant to be finalised later on this week (if not already). As I said previously I would like to give someone that is involved in a larger coaching set up given an opportunity, shoe string budgets shouldn't matter in the short term, Walsall have stayed up in league 1 for a good run and only spent their first fee on a player for five or so seasons over the summer. When you see the likes of Ebanks-Blake playing in this division on a short term contract it makes you realise the rich vein of talent that is available on free transfers and loans, albeit wages are something we are tight on too.

20. theaceface

theaceface New Member

Dennis Wise will be the new manager, you heard it here first !!!!!