1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which team did you support as a kid?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by irishbluebird, May 13, 2022.

1. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

So we’re all Cardiff City supporters on here and many of you will have supported the Bluebirds all your life. But did you support another team as a kid?

Growing up in Belfast my two local teams were Crusaders and Cliftonville. I used to tell my ma I was off to the football but to be honest I never went to watch either of them. Spent the day in the pub and the bookies.

But as a kid the English team I followed was, believe it or not, Blackburn Rovers. I remember they got beaten by Wolves in the FA Cup in the early sixties and for some sentimental reason I started following them, unlike all my friends who were Man Utd followers. This continued until I left home for Reading who I went to see a few times at Elm Park and also a few regular trips up to White Hart Lane to see Spurs. Of course this all changed when I moved to Cardiff in 1979.

So it was Blackburn for me. Can any of you better that!? <doh>

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good thread Irish. <ok>

As a sprog, I really can't remember anything other than City as I just followed my dad and uncle Jim, but as a teenager (and later) it was Chelsea for me - that 1970 Cup final and replay on the box against Leeds was probably the trigger.

Osgood, Charlie Cooke and Alan Hudson did it for me. Chopper, McCreadie and Dai Webb at the back with Hollins conducting the show. Peter Houseman wide left was my hero as I aspired to be a left wing in my early playing days.

Such as life works out, I was very fortunate to be able to watch them in the flesh for nearly 4 years later on. My biggest disappointment during that time was the falling out between Dave Sexton and Ossie which led to him being sold to Southampton.

irishbluebird and clingo like this.
  3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Cheers Irish. Hopefully some good stories to come.

Tottenham from 1961 (double season and then Greaves signed 61/62), first time at WHL 1965. Still follow them. Difficult times when City play them. Sit on hands and shut up.

Newport, where I was born and brought up, from home game v Oldham (all glamour I know) 1963. Gave up after Merthyr beat them in the Welsh Cup Final. Never went back.

Cardiff from the Hamburg game, 1st May 1968, onwards.

Clearly a life mainly involving build ups and disappointments, with a few well received exceptions here and there.

irishbluebird and clingo like this.
  4. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Spurs for me I was born in 1954 so was 6/7 (and just started to have interest for football) when Spurs won the double.
    The FA cup the next season and again in 1967 and 1971

Throw in the cup winers cup in 1963 the first British team to win a European trophy.
    Also the 1972 EUFA cup they become the first British team to win two different European trophies.

My father took me to Tottenham for my 14th birthday so I went to White Hart Lane before Ninian Park.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  5. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Arsenal :emoticon-0172-mooni

irishbluebird and DaiJones like this.
  6. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Never really followed another team but enjoyed watching certain teams of the day when watching MOD, the Big Match and Sportsnight and the domestic finals which were the only televised games.

7. blueturk the cat

blueturk the cat Well-Known Member

Ah !! love this Irish .... going back to the days of the 3pm Saturday kick off for everyone with no exception
    It was West Ham for me.... Probably because I had these giant pictures of the England ( :)) 66 squad on my bedroom wall from a PG Tips promotion and I loved the claret and blue kit that three of the players were wearing even though the pictures were black and white
    Unfortunately my dad was a season ticket holder at the retch (Freudian slip) and he insisted on dragging me along every other weekend for about 5 years, I would also sneak down to Stebo to watch the Reds -Llanelli AFC as often as possible

8. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

So here's some context.
    During the Second World War and prior to being shipped to India, my Dad was based in Southampton. During this time, he got selected to play for an Army lX against a Navy team if he was alive now, he would insist on me explaining that he was given a game because there was nobody else to make up the numbers. Included in the Army team were Joe Mercer and Bertie Mee.

I don't know how or why they managed to stay in touch, but I remember being told that we'd been invited to Highbury to looks around Arsenal's home ground. We were met by Mr Mee himself and it was only then that I found out that my Dad had scored twice in the inter-services game.

Anyway, I was first overwhelmed by the marble and general classiness of Highbury. My affection for them was reinforced by the generous hospitality shown to us including sight of the Arsenal original team sheet from the 1927 cup final.

Later on, I was delighted when Rambo chose Wenger over Ferguson.

I also confess to a liking for QPR as I would go and watch them when staying with my aunt in West London.

Of course, Cardiff City are always up top by miles in my eyes.

Herein endeth today's contribution in aid of insomniacs.

9. blueturk the cat

I will give you a like if you change Heart to Hart (there's a telly program there somewhere) ....Pah!! call yourself a Yid ?

10. BluefromBridgend

I was going to say "Boooooo" but take it all back after that terrific back story. Great stuff Clingo. <applause>

Back in 1971, after watching City lose at Blackpool on a Monday night, we kipped on Southport beach before moving on to watch Liverpool v Wolves on the Tuesday.

We parked up near Anfield then walked across Stanley Park to Goodison. An old guy from the club saw us looking and invited us in for a tour, free of charge. Brilliant.

Didn't change my club loyalty though. I still want Everton to be relegated this season. Unlikely now with Leeds imploding.

clingo and irishbluebird like this.

11. BluefromBridgend

Wow Dai, were we twins separated at birth? Exact same landmarks as me although I got to WHL before you.

Saw some great games there over the years. Only 2 losses, v Derby in 1972 ( got another story behind that) and to Bolton in 2003 where a brilliant Jay Jay Okocha tore Spurs apart on his own.

clingo, irishbluebird and DaiJones like this.
  12. DaiJones

Done. <doh>

13. blueturk the cat

<hug>

14. DaiJones

Only saw 3 games at WHL. Man U, Leeds & The mighty Bluebirds

irishbluebird likes this.
  15. blueturk the cat

that's 3 teams I detest

irishbluebird likes this.
  16. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Ahh, fab thread. :emoticon-0148-yes:

So for me, very briefly I recall Arsenal getting to a cup final and me making a banner in support of them, mainly because I had a hair cut that resembled Pat Rice. I'm guessing 79 final with me as an 8 year old....

Fast forward slightly and from 1984 I took a shine to Everton because of their Welsh trio of Southall, Van Den Hauwe and Ratcliffe.
    That "love affair" lasted through to probably around 2000 ish, but definitely after going up to Goodison as an away fan to watch City, that put the final nail into any lingering like for them...

Apart from that, have a soft spot for Torquay due to holidays down that way and Exeter because we have a caravan in Exmouth...
    Oh and Exmouth Town.... Recently promoted to the Southern League First Division.

17. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Porth Welfare.
    Used to go down as a kid. Only a hundred yards from the house.
    Used to kick about in the goal mouth half time. A few neighbours played for the first team.

Eventually the rugby team outstripped the football team and it bacame a rugby ground.
    Where I cut my teeth in senior rugby as a 17 year old.<yikes>
    Still a rugby ground and where we had our club house built.

Graduated to Cardiff when I was 10 or 12 as dad was a lifelong bluebird.

18. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you also add Bournemouth & Boscombe? You go there often enough ;)

clingo likes this.
  19. BluefromBridgend

Wtf? Boscombe? AFC Bournemouth.

Only when I'm there and brother in law has a free ticket.

Not in my top 3.

clingo likes this.
  20. blueturk the cat

swap you my dad for your dad and a bag of sherbet

clingo and BluefromBridgend like this.