1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

which games have had the best atmosphere?

Discussion in 'Sheffield Wednesday' started by clowneowls, Jun 8, 2011.

1. clowneowls

clowneowls New Member

a few stick in my mind over the years.

blackburn away 1979/1980 season, wednesday won 2-1 in a game that nearly guaranteed us promotion. there must have been 10,000 wednesday fans crammed in to the ground which wasn't bad for a tuesday night in the old 3rd division. the noise leaving the ground is something i will never forget.

shrewsbury away 1983/4 season. wednesday winning 1-0 with bannister scoring in the last few minutes. a ground we used to struggle to get a result at in the past, but the party atmosphere after the goal was incredible.

liverpool home in 1983 in the league cup quarter final, awesome atmosphere in front of the biggest gate i have ever seen at hillsborough of 49,500+. a cracking 2-2 draw with arguably one of the best teams of all time.

sheff utd at home boxing day in 1979, my first ever local derby saw wednesday record a famous 4-0 victory in front of a record 3rd division crowd of 49.309. goals from mellor, curran, king and smith started a major turnaround in the fortunes of both sheffield clubs for the next 20 years. united were currently top of the league and finished mid table before falling in to the 4th division a few years later. wednesday who i think were 8th at the time, went on to get promotion and then on to the first division 4 years later.

chelsea in the league cup semi final in 1990/91 at hillsborough. 2nd division wednesday beating first division chelsea 3-1 on the night, 5-1 on agg booking their first cup final for 25 years and my first. we must have stopped in the ground for an hour after the game and hardly anybody had left.

anybody have different matches that stick in their mind (try not to use cup/play off finals).