1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where was the WOW signing??

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sunderlad, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

As the title reads, didn't Gus say that Sunderland fans won't believe the signing that we will be making before the Summer transfer deadline ends?

Well Gus where is it???

I think as for the next window he needs to be quiet, as it makes him look a right egjit (like Borini's agent).

2. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Must admit, I am massively underwhelmed in the last couple of weeks, but the whole transfer window hasn't been the worst for us. I think the Borini saga made us look like fools and we really should have had a striker in, but hey ho....we have what we have.

3. Sunderlad

That's right Flanders, where as I love Gus's passion on all that is football I think he needs to show some professionalism when dealing with the signing of players, as their agents are merely vultures scavenging for scraps.

4. monkmaster

monkmaster Active Member

Depends what he means by WOW.

I'll start with.......Worried Over Weekends

5. Douglas

Douglas New Member

It was rodwell

6. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Where's Our Welbeck

When arsenal stumped up the cash for him our bubble burst

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Media outlets (radio) are purring over Alvarez mind. Saying he is a big coup for a club like Sunderland. I don't know him so can't comment but maybe Gus knows him well and watched him a lot. Could've been worse (QPR) "Lassano Diarra is all done bar the shouting and he'll sign before the window closes" but he doesn't!

Love it when Redknapp is made to look a twat

8. blackcatforever

blackcatforever Well-Known Member

Spot on flanders, we will work with what we got, onwards and upwards.ktf.. ftm

9. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Rodwell cost us a bloody fortune...What the hell do people actually want?

10. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

The wow signing was probably Alvarez, he is a highly rated young Argentinian International, how often do we sign one of them? The only person that looks a fool in the Borini deal is Borini and his agent. We were open about wanting him, we were just not going to have our pants pulled down over his wages. He now gets months of not playing which will effect his value and future earning potential.

My biggest worry is Wickhams contract.

11. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I'm hoping that, now the window is shut, the powers that be can sit and talk numbers with him. Should be our priority now. If we sign the Jonas bloke who's out of contract then it might put a little more pressure on Wickham rather than SAFC

12. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

We need to start playing Wickham as our main striker

13. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Really?
    Both radio 5 & talkshite were slagging him off last night, calling him worse than ****e!

14. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

If I say Alvarez is similar to Bale would you be happy ! can play anywhere, so left wing would be great where we are lacking. The problem might be he may only stay for one season. I laughed at Arsenal supporters yesterday saying they should have signed Remmy instead of Welbeck, Welbeck is English is better and scores goals (we should have offered £20 m). I feel sorry for them only spending about £100 m in the last year or so, it must be tough playing in the champions league each season and going for the title ! what we would give for that chance.

15. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Explain more please, you enigma, you.

16. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Alvarez is a good player, you don't play for Argentina and Inter if your ****e. You also don't get bought for 10 million quid. I am sure Gus knows what he is doing. All his other signings have been great. Vergini came good, Buckley looks quality, Gomez, PVA etc... I have confidence. I am sure Coates will be a good player too.

17. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

That's cos he's now signed for us - if the sane player had signed for United they'd be calling him fantastic

18. hubbs23

hubbs23 New Member

Agree with that...he's not the finished article, a waste of his strengths playing out on the left....needs to be in the box throwing some of that weight around,

19. Sunderlad

Not much really RAW, just thought he said this in the press conference after the cup game against Birmingham.

20. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

Just posted this on the alvarez thread but thought id post it here as well...

Just came across this...

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/10...8019/PlayerStatistics/Italy-Serie-A-2013-2014

Basically lists the top players last season in Serie a based on various stats with our new boy Ricky coming 14th in the entire league...(bearing in mind Juventus/AC/Inter/Roma/Fiorentina/Napoli)

Also looking into the player closer...http://www.whoscored.com/Players/41489

+ Strengths
    Dribbling - Very Strong
    Defensive contribution - Very Strong
    Holding on to the ball - Strong
    Key passes - Strong
    Taking set-pieces - Strong
    Tackling - Strong

- Weaknesses
    (Player has no significant weaknesses)

Ricardo Álvarez's Style of Play
    Likes to dribble
    Likes to cut inside
    Likes to play short passes

In 56 games (27 of which were sub appearances) he has managed 13 goals and 14 assists and his passing accuracy tends to average around 88%

teamtalk.com also wrote this:

Meanwhile, Sunderland's capture of Argentine international Ricardo Alvarez - a loan with an option to buy from Inter - was another of the more eye-catching on Monday.

The Black Cats are one of very few that seem willing to test the Serie A waters of Premier League clubs but have acquired a player of quality in the 26-year-old. 'Very strong' at dribbling according to WhoScored's characteristics - they don't call him 'Tricky Ricky' for nothing!

Only four players completed more dribbles per game in Serie A last season (2.7), but Alvarez isn't just a luxury player. The other area in which the versatile midfielder is deemed 'very strong' is in defensive contribution, with Alvarez averaging 2.5 tackles per game from a predominantly advanced position last season.

Meanwhile, no Inter player made as many assists (8) so his availability may have surprised some and it was a shrewd move on Sunderland's part to inquire for his services.

So for all the people wondering where our WOW signing was...take a gander...